Medical emergency Epic help needed urgently

ellie1145

This!

I have been wondering the same thing. She could still be enjoying the amenities of the ship, eating in dining rooms, etc. There's nothing she can do for either the MIL or her DH on the ship anyways.

My husband would want me to make the best of it and join him when it was feasible. Having a toddler around the hospital isn't going to be fun either.

Also, if the mother was frail and had a heart condition, maybe a cruise wasn't a good idea to begin with.

I have no idea how that statement could be construed as nasty or bullying. She is suggesting the wife support her husband, instead of leaving with MIL. How does that make her a bully? I must say, all families are different, but I'd do the same thing. Maybe my mom could take my son in order to help in that way, but I would choose to be with my husband and his mother once I got off the ship, not with my own mother, who isn't even involved in any way. That doesn't make me a bully.

The post implied that the son was either wrong to leave his wife on the ship to accompany his mother or the daughter was wrong to remain on the ship. Saying the husband and wife should have stayed together. That wasn’t feasible in this situation. The son left with the mother, and he was the only one permitted to leave via air evacuation. This was followed by a sea day and then it appears the ship will port. The daughter and child can get off then and return home or continue on and use their scheduled flights to return home. An adult son should be perfectly capable of caring for his mother while the wife keeps the incident for being traumatic for the child. This is appropriate. For the wife to insist the husband remain on the ship with her because ‘my husband would never leave me’ would have been selfish.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The post implied that the son was either wrong to leave his wife on the ship to accompany his mother or the daughter was wrong to remain on the ship. Saying the husband and wife should have stayed together. That wasn’t feasible in this situation. The son left with the mother, and he was the only one permitted to leave via air evacuation. This was followed by a sea day and then it appears the ship will port. The daughter and child can get off then and return home or continue on and use their scheduled flights to return home. An adult son should be perfectly capable of caring for his mother while the wife keeps the incident for being traumatic for the child. This is appropriate. For the wife to insist the husband remain on the ship with her because ‘my husband would never leave me’ would have been selfish.

Please go back and reread, of course the son made the right decision to go with his mom! There is no harm in an adult woman being in a cruise ship with her child! Single women travel with their kids all of the time, I’ve traveled many times with my kids without DH, so has he. My point was, I would join my husband at the hospital if I had someone to care for my child, to help my husband.

I said nothing of the sort. I said I'd join my husband once I got off the ship. The wife's mother is flying to meet her daughter. If I were that daughter, I wouldn't want my mom to come. I'd now be going to join my husband and his mom at the hospital. You inferred things from my post that weren't implied. My whole post deals with the wife's mom (who happens to be the person who has started this thread, who also happens to be someone who isn't in any way involved here) inserting herself into the situation and basically giving her daughter a predicament. Once I'm off the ship, I'd go be with my husband, not with my own mother. But you might choose otherwise, and that's your choice.

Let me reread this OP

my daughter has phoned to say her 77 year old mother has had a bad fall They say her son

They say her son

My daughter

So, in reality could this be a grandmother (daughter/son seems kind of young to have a 77 year old mother, that have a two year old, yeah, its possible)

So, the injured person is the SIL's mom and he goes with her for medical attention

AND leaves the wife and son on the ship until the next port...

Seems that the wife can't handle the situation

AND calls her mom at home

WHO get's involved here on CC

A lot of folks here get their panties in a knot

Mom flies to port of call to said daughter and grandson...

Hopefully Mom takes grandson so daughter can be with husband who is with his "mom".

Am I getting it?

I did not get that from the post at all. I read from that, at the end of the cruise since the parents had arrived, they could take over parenting responsibilities for the grand, which would allow the daughter to join her husband in Spain and give him support. I didn’t consider that to be a mean-spirited post at all.

Let me reread this OP

my daughter has phoned to say her 77 year old mother has had a bad fall They say her son

They say her son

My daughter

So, in reality could this be a grandmother (daughter/son seems kind of young to have a 77 year old mother, that have a two year old, yeah, its possible)

So, the injured person is the SIL's mom and he goes with her for medical attention

AND leaves the wife and son on the ship until the next port...

Seems that the wife can't handle the situation

AND calls her mom at home

WHO get's involved here on CC

A lot of folks here get their panties in a knot

Mom flies to port of call to said daughter and grandson...

Hopefully Mom takes grandson so daughter can be with husband who is with his "mom".

Am I getting it?

Yes. Good summary.

You must all be frantic. She will be looked after well in the Spanish hospitals and if her Son is with her he can navigate the paperwork.

As others have said here your daughter must ask for help and ask for phone calls as under insurance there is a limit to what they will cover.

I would also echo others that have said that you will be of most help to your daughter if you meet her in Naples.

I really hope it all works out usually things are never as dark as they seem at the time. NCL can't help if they don't know what you need

Good luck

The vast majority of UK phone contracts now include ‘roam like home’ which covers all of Europe so you can make calls and use data at no extra cost as long as you have a network signal. As for people mithering about a parent onboard ship with a child alone, how on earth do they think single parents manage it? It’s not like she was dumped at a port with her child + all baggage, she is safe on a ship with all meals etc. and the ability to have internet access. Anyone who can’t ‘cope’ in that sort of situation should have a think about whether they should travel at all!

Good information.

Lousy 'compassion'.

This entire thread reminds me of sitting in a surgery waiting room for someone having a minor procedure, like wisdom teeth removal, and there are thirty family members there pulling their hair out with worry. I don't understand it.

This entire thread reminds me of sitting in a surgery waiting room for someone having a minor procedure, like wisdom teeth removal, and there are thirty family members there pulling their hair out with worry. I don't understand it.

:'):'):')

Yes. I can't understand why the wife's mom needs to go, but whatever.

Did they ever say they called their trip insurance? They could owe tens of thousands if they haven’t. Some have specific hospitals they work with and all travel insurance asks to be notified immediately.

I read the first and the end. Hopefully that’s somewhere in the center. I hope she does well. If she fell on a wet spot the ship should have been in the middle of it making sure she gets care.

Did they ever say they called their trip insurance? They could owe tens of thousands if they haven’t. Some have specific hospitals they work with and all travel insurance asks to be notified immediately.

I read the first and the end. Hopefully that’s somewhere in the center. I hope she does well. If she fell on a wet spot the ship should have been in the middle of it making sure she gets care.

Read the thread. No need to start rehashing it all. ;p

My point is only about trip insurance and contacting them should always be FIRST. :P

There is something in the middle that says that because of the UK's national health system there should be reciprocal agreements for the EU (or something to that effect) and since we're in the US we don't really have the knowledge to suggest what insurance to contact or not.

I really hope your daughter is going to support her husband and her MIL during this stressful time. I know I would never just leave my DH alone in this situation, and he’d never leave me.

Please go back and reread, of course the son made the right decision to go with his mom! There is no harm in an adult woman being in a cruise ship with her child! Single women travel with their kids all of the time, I’ve traveled many times with my kids without DH, so has he. My point was, I would join my husband at the hospital if I had someone to care for my child, to help my husband.

‘I know I would never just leave my DH alone in this situation and he’s never leave me’... not sure how else to read that but judging the fact that the son went to the hospital while the daughter stayed on the ship

‘I really hope your daughter is going to support her husband and MIL in this stressful situation’... what part of the original posters story made you think the daughter is doing anything else. I hear that she’s trying to get phone and internet connection to get a flight off the ship and the OP is coming to help to support her and assist her in getting to her husband. Most likely this will result in her taking the child home so the daughter can support her husband.

Sorry, I can’t read your post as anything other than judge mental and mean spirited. Not getting what you were trying to say then.

Ha ha. Exactly!!! Thanks for giving me a laugh in the midst of the high drama.

Actually, they were responding to me - I'd stated that I'd be exhausted if I were in your daughter's shoes. I wouldn't be able to sleep much if I were worried about my MIL, and my kids don't tend to sleep well when we travel with jet lag so everyone is tired normally so while our kids are small we only travel on cruises with kids clubs. Your grandchild is 2, and you'd mentioned that the small kids playroom wasn't a hit so I was thinking your daughter might need a break so she could tray and ask the kids club if they'd let her child spend a little time in there under her supervision since Cunard and Princess allow that, or see if babysitting would be possible. It's unlikely due to different insurance policies that NCL would be able to accommodate this request, but I thought it would be worth her politely asking. Best of luck to your family.

They’re from the UK so at least some of the costs are covered by their NHS.

Unfortunately the European Health Insurance Card is not valid for cruises (or ski holidays) So no help from the NHS. Also in the UK, some of the travel insurances do not cover cruising as standard, I realised this a couple of years ago when I read the small print when our policy was due for renewal.

This is a stressful situation for the family, I hope all works out well and I wish her a speedy recovery.