Free Promos are Not Free

Djptcp

So, think about this:

The cruise is advertised at "Starting at $499/pp". Now, based on this advertising, 2 people should be cruising for $998. Oh wait...they didn't mention port fees and taxes in those commercials. And they didn't mention "optional" daily service fees. By the time you finish....$998 is close to $1998.

Is this any different than "Free Free Free"? If you don't like the final bill for NCL's "Free Free Free" you aren't obligated to buy it.

By the way in Germany there was a lawsuit and cruise lines must advertise final price. Taxes, fees , gratuities must be included in this price.

By the way we once again just cruised there. It is so convenient to go to store or restaurant and see final prices!

As for the people who care about first time cruises please warn them that shore excursions are the biggest profit makers. They are ridiculously overpriced by cruise lines .. but most common advice is don't look into independent excursions or you will miss the ship.

Or all these praises to CAS "free cruises" knowing that people potentially will lose much more money playing....

By the way in Germany there was a lawsuit and cruise lines must advertise final price. Taxes, fees , gratuities must be included in this price.

By the way we once again just cruised there. It is so convenient to go to store or restaurant and see final prices!

Like you said ”in Germany”

Marion

There is a reason why final price isn't necessarily the advertised price in the US and it has to do with tax rates that can be different just by crossing the street. It allows for fair competition.

There is a reason why final price isn't necessarily the advertised price in the US and it has to do with tax rates that can be different just by crossing the street. It allows for fair competition.
I know that, I live in US. But when you are in a store or restaurant taxes are known. So when you see a price it can include everything. Also ads are very often for particular locations too.

I just noticed that it's much more convenient

I know that, I live in US. But when you are in a store or restaurant taxes are known. So when you see a price it can include everything. Also ads are very often for particular locations too.

Ads are "very often" but not always for a particular location. What about McDonalds when they do a national $1 menu deal? How could they factor in all the local taxes for every municipality in the US in a national ad? What about a car dealer in South Florida - where the tax is different in Miami and Fort Lauderdale?

What about on a cruise ship where they charge taxes on drinks when in port? Each port is different... How should that look on the menu? Each drink has 36 different prices along with codes and an accompanying decoder wheel?

Try it now. It simply is not possible to continue with a booking without choosing free at sea options. Unless, that is, one selects the Sail Away fare which is the equivalent to choosing a guaranteed cabin on other lines.

You certainly don’t have to choose a perk that includes specialty dinners or drinks (those that don’t include tips). You can choose internet package, as an example. No tips needed for that service.

I’ve been a lot of restaurants in my 58 years of life and I have never seen a bill or menu that listed prices with the tax included. Because the different areas have different sales tax I actually don’t know the exact amount of the bill for the dinner until I receive the final bill that lists the charge plus the tax and finally shows the total. But it never shows the total in the menu or advertisements! In the same way when you are booking a cruise the advertisements and initial statement of the price of the cruise does not show the taxes and port charges because these may vary by which area you are cruising to. But we all know there will be taxes and port charges so we are not shocked when these are added. Ultimately before you pay for the cruise you are presented with the total charge for that cruise so you can’t really claim that anyone mislead you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But we all know there will be taxes and port charges so we are not shocked when these are added. Ultimately before you pay for the cruise you are presented with the total charge for that cruise so you can’t really claim that anyone mislead you!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is very true, but it's apples to oranges. All cruise lines charge extra for taxes and port fees(some countries require these charges to be displayed as part of the fare).

The problem, and why this comes up so often, is that NCL handles perks differently than other lines.

Imagine if NCL started charging gratuities on port charges - people would be understandably surprised at the extra fees.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they started doing that either (after all, crew work hard at the ports) but, just like this thread, it would be perfectly okay to warn people about extra charges they might not run into with other cruiselines.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is very true, but it's apples to oranges. All cruise lines charge extra for taxes and port fees(some countries require these charges to be displayed as part of the fare).

The problem, and why this comes up so often, is that NCL handles perks differently than other lines.

Imagine if NCL started charging gratuities on port charges - people would be understandably surprised at the extra fees.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if they started doing that either (after all, crew work hard at the ports) but, just like this thread, it would be perfectly okay to warn people about extra charges they might not run into with other cruiselines.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Crew dont work at the docks in port, labor laws wont allow it, its handled by dock workers. Crew work on the ship, whether its in port or at sea. So you can stop holding your breath waiting to be surprised.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Since I have the right to reply to this post...:rolleyes:

Even if NCL added a service charge to port fees, it would be added and the amount would be reflected in the total before anyone entered their personal and payment information. Whatever that total amount is (other than the DSC), it is known and shown before anyone pays anything.

A potential guest sees the total. If that total is acceptable, the guest makes a payment. Complaining about a promo service charge after booking because "..I didn't know the promo wasn't free..." is not a valid complaint because the charge and the amount is clearly shown in the total.

IF NCL added the promo service charges, taxes, and port fees after a down payment was made, a guest would have a more valid complaint. The information would still be there (like the DSC and potential fuel surcharge) but it would be understandable if people missed it in that case.

If NCL eliminated the promo service charges but raised the cruisefare by the same amount (the total would be exactly the same), would people still complain or would they proudly spout that "Promos are free on NCL.."?