Taking luggage on board

Maybe, but the unit that is used for checked luggage is bound to be a real big one with a low loading rollers - the port/ship needs the throughput and ease of loading to get all that stuff scanned fast.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO1GLuNBXW1xjo-saLz9Z2w6wQ0bpN1MamFEXQ1VHOpXEizBocdg

Those remind me of the ones in Singapore after you clear customs. They randomly grab people after the luggage carousel

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I have some questions about luggage... I have no problem letting the porters take it ON-board, but I am anxious to get OFF at the end of the cruise. Is there usually a long wait to pick up luggage? How much of a tip is 'normal' and who do you tip? From what I have been reading in these messages, the suitcases are waiting for you in your room & you set them outside your door the night before; so you don't actually SEE who is handling them.

I have some questions about luggage... I have no problem letting the porters take it ON-board, but I am anxious to get OFF at the end of the cruise. Is there usually a long wait to pick up luggage? How much of a tip is 'normal' and who do you tip? From what I have been reading in these messages, the suitcases are waiting for you in your room & you set them outside your door the night before; so you don't actually SEE who is handling them.

First of all, you are permitted to carry off all of your own bags with you. You must be able to handle it all by yourself. Then you do NOT put your bags out the night before but keep it with you until you are ready to walk off in the morning.

If you let them take your bags off:

Departure from the ship is organized in groups.

You receive numbered luggage tags the day before and you wait on the ship until your number is called. Your number will not be called until the bags with that number have been unloaded and placed in the waiting area in the terminal. Then you walk off the ship, go over and find and grab your bags and go through customs/immigration and are on your way.

Wow ! You obviously know my friend of 30 years better than I do ! Thanks for your constructive contribution.

To everyone else your comments are appreciated 😀😀

It has never happened to us but obviously does. Attached is the recent flyer we received while on Symphony. We got it a couple of days into the cruise.

32033972_RCCLLuggage.JPG.ca5fc9fc58789baf60e8078e6b4833e7.JPG

It has never happened to us but obviously does. Attached is the recent flyer we received while on Symphony. We got it a couple of days into the cruise.

We've gotten letters like that on both NCL and Carnival. The one on Carnival even included a photo of the type of luggage they were looking for. We were told by our room steward later that it was found.

Now here's a question in reverse -- has anyone ever put their luggage outside for debarkation the next day, and get to the terminal and have their luggage not be there? I always fear someone will walk off with it since neither customs nor the port checks for names on the luggage.

We've gotten letters like that on both NCL and Carnival. The one on Carnival even included a photo of the type of luggage they were looking for. We were told by our room steward later that it was found.

Now here's a question in reverse -- has anyone ever put their luggage outside for debarkation the next day, and get to the terminal and have their luggage not be there? I always fear someone will walk off with it since neither customs nor the port checks for names on the luggage.

Yes happened to me once, for one bag. Wound up that another passenger in the same disembarkation zone was also using an identical bag (given out as loyalty perks). Port personnel were quick to try to help checking other zones for the bag and actually posted personnel near any fitting the description, in case there had been a mix up by another passenger.

Indeed there was. Another passenger's granddaughter grabbed mine not thinking to check the zone tag for a name. Luckily they lived local to the port and within an hour was reporting the mistake (by phone). We helped the port employees identify his correct bag but by then we had to leave. The bag was overnighted to us at no expense (Thank-you Cruise Maryland).

Moral being if you have a popular style or color of luggage do something to make it radically noticeable from others.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

Hi everyone. Interested in your views/experiences. On all my previous cruises I have happily handed over my suitcase to a porter at check in and never had a problem

It arrived eventually outside my cabin . I've heard from a friend that her suitcase didn't turn up for a week and had been opened and items removed. These weren't banned items. We're talking about perfume and jewellery. She obviously followed this up but I'm wondering is it a common occurrence. Would I be better just taking my case on myself. Being without all your stuff would be miserable :(:( Any thoughts appreciated

We have been on 104 cruises and NEVER have I not gotten my luggage or has there been anything missing from it. I take my valuables with me on the ship - money, jewelry, electronics, etc. But everything else gets packed and checked and we get it at the cabin fairly quickly most of the time.

Same here, I lock all my bags with combination locks so if they were cut off, I would know someone had been in them.
Not TSA locks?

Mine get opened almost every flight. Sometimes lock is gone, even when it is a TSA lock

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Only time we had trouble was on Carnival. They told us we were in one room when we checked our bags and the a different room at the check in desk. We told them about the mix up but they didn't get the luggage to our cabin. Hubby went and checked the first cabin named and there they were. Have cruised about 12 times.

We walked all of our luggage off only once - and won't do it again! It was on NCL Breakaway debarking in NYC. With 3,900 passengers, we got caught in a line that was insane and as we meandered along with all our luggage, it saved us zero time and only caused us complications because we had to wait for a terminal elevator to get down to the exit level. The other bad thing was NCL had us leaving mid-ship which required us to go down stairs unless we went with crew to forward elevators.

I will only take my carry-ons off next time.