Taking luggage on board

I have been cruising for many years and never had a problem.

Medications, jewelry, expensive electronics should always be in your carryon/hand luggage.

Keep in mind your luggage has to fit through airport-type scanners to be carried on board. You also have to walk up steep ramps and gangways to get to the ship. You also have to keep your luggage until cabins are open, which is usually around 1:00 p.m.

You'd be surprised how big of a bag goes through the security scanners. All of the Genie luggage goes that way. I've seen porters with the big carts come through that way in PC

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've only done a handful of cruises but I do all carry on. I also don't board until rooms are ready so I am not schlepping my luggage around. Everything for a 7 nighter fits in 1-25" roller bag and 1-20" roller. That's shoes, clothes, toiletries, workout gear, EVERYTHING for two people. Next cruise I am going to see if I can get it down to 1-25" roller and one duffel bag. Packing goals...

If it won't fit through the x-ray, it probably is too big.

Nope. Pretty much any bag will fit through the machine. In some ports they have a little cover over the opening, but that lifts up to make the opening full size. They're the same machines that are used for checked luggage, and anything can fit.

I was going on Allure out to Ft. Lauderdale a few years back and I had golf clubs in a travel bag. The porter told me the "per Royal policy", they were no longer allowed to take them. I went and spoke with the port staff for Royal and they said the same thing. So I had to lug my golf bag to the 17th deck. Sorry, once you make me do that, I'm going to carry on whatever bag I please.

More than two dozen cruises on 4 different lines. Aside from one visit to the NAUGHTY room for a sealed and labeled refill bottle of hand sanitizer which they could have easily checked since we don't bother with locks, we have never had one problem.

bosco

I always carry my bags on board, no matter the size. On one or two occasions, I have had someone in the terminal try and tell me I could not. One tried to tell me it was too big. I corrected him and took it on.

We do the same.......25" suitcase and small carry-on. Only port that was insistent that we couldn't was Barcelona. Once inside we did see a few others with a bag and probably should have insisted. Love being unpacked and enjoying the ship by 1:30 pm.

On Oasis last week I dropped bags off around 10am, came back to ship at 11:45. Walked right on and up to CK for lunch. Went to cabin around 1:15 and the bags were there. Well they were close, about 5 doors down. I can live with that.

We have not learned to pack light yet.

On Oasis last week I dropped bags off around 10am, came back to ship at 11:45. Walked right on and up to CK for lunch. Went to cabin around 1:15 and the bags were there.

That's great, but you can't count on it. I'm sure there were people still waiting at 5:30. And I haven't seen any rhyme or reason. i.e. get there early, and your bags don't necessarily get delivered early.

We are thinking of taking our luggage ourselves too - as we had some bad experience too!

Our luggage has been misplaced 2 times now as the baggage handlers just seem to throw them on the right deck theses days but not necessarily anywhere near your cabin…..we talked to many folks that also found their luggage on the wrong side of the deck or way down the hallway :eek::mad:

Happens to us all the time. If we don't have our luggage by 3 PM I go searching the entire deck. Found our luggage in the weirdest places not near our cabin!

Given the number of CCTV cameras about, this scenario seems unlikely.

Cameras are great but they really don't prevent crime. If they did, banks would be the safest places on earth.

I wouldn't be concerned.

The problem you may have is what to do with all that luggage until your cabin opens up at 1 PM? Even having a carry-on is a pain. (but necessary)

One of the reasons I rarely board before 1:00. I've got an entire week on board. I'd rather get one last great meal for lunch landside before getting on board anyway.

That's great, but you can't count on it. I'm sure there were people still waiting at 5:30. And I haven't seen any rhyme or reason. i.e. get there early, and your bags don't necessarily get delivered early.
Had a lot of success with this plan all last fall in PC.

They're the same machines that are used for checked luggage, and anything can fit.

That's unlikely in some ports - the checked luggage x-ray is likely bigger than what people see at the security line and in some ports a full sized 26+" suitcase will not fit through the regular security line x-ray.

We go on 5-6 cruises a year and have never had any problems. However, we practice defensive packing where we have our clothes split between our two suitcases,,,,, just in case.

what a great idea! In all of my traveling (cruises and air) I have never had a problem and hope to keep it that way lol but going forward I think we will do this! Thanks for a great tip!

One of the reasons I rarely board before 1:00. I've got an entire week on board. I'd rather get one last great meal for lunch landside before getting on board anyway.
That used to be us until we got access to CK, now I want to get on before noon. Day 1 lunch is yummy.

59c08178e71462908e8e7194185e62a6.jpg

That's unlikely in some ports - the checked luggage x-ray is likely bigger than what people see at the security line and in some ports a full sized 26+" suitcase will not fit through the regular security line x-ray.
Do you think it's possible that the terminals with Star Class have a bigger machine available.

For instance Star Class in PC always use the first line on the right.

Hi everyone. Interested in your views/experiences. On all my previous cruises I have happily handed over my suitcase to a porter at check in and never had a problem

It arrived eventually outside my cabin . I've heard from a friend that her suitcase didn't turn up for a week and had been opened and items removed. These weren't banned items. We're talking about perfume and jewellery. She obviously followed this up but I'm wondering is it a common occurrence. Would I be better just taking my case on myself. Being without all your stuff would be miserable :(:( Any thoughts appreciated

On a cruise last year I was told that everyone would have their luggage by 8PM.At 11 PM we were still missing one suitcase .We found that there was a huge room with suitcases one of which was hours .No explanation as to why our luggage was there .

That was on a NCL cruise ,one of the many reasons we will never go with NCL again.

On a cruise last year I was told that everyone would have their luggage by 8PM.At 11 PM we were still missing one suitcase .We found that there was a huge room with suitcases one of which was hours .No explanation as to why our luggage was there .

That was on a NCL cruise ,one of the many reasons we will never go with NCL again.

I wouldn't not cruise on NCL because of that. All the ships we have been on, we have passed the area behind the elevators when the doors are open and there are literally hundreds of suitcases filling the room. I'm sure your suitcase would have eventually been delivered but the stewards probably got called away to do other duties at that late hour.

On Carnival, we saw them bringing up the suitcases on passenger elevators and literally throwing them down the hallways. Not a pretty sight. We've had one bag go "missing" a couple of times -- in other words, not show up for hours. Our room steward always managed to find it though and nothing was open or missing.

Do you think it's possible that the terminals with Star Class have a bigger machine available.

For instance Star Class in PC always use the first line on the right.

Maybe, but the unit that is used for checked luggage is bound to be a real big one with a low loading rollers - the port/ship needs the throughput and ease of loading to get all that stuff scanned fast.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO1GLuNBXW1xjo-saLz9Z2w6wQ0bpN1MamFEXQ1VHOpXEizBocdg