Transport Orlando to Port Lauderdale

We are spending a week at the Orlando theme parks in October before heading to a cruise on Harmony. I haven’t been able to find much information about transport between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale and would be grateful for any advice. I know rental car is an option and I might brave it, but does anyone have any experience or advice with Uber (if that’s possible for such a long trip) or shuttles? Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are spending a week at the Orlando theme parks in October before heading to a cruise on Harmony. I haven’t been able to find much information about transport between Orlando and Fort Lauderdale and would be grateful for any advice. I know rental car is an option and I might brave it, but does anyone have any experience or advice with Uber (if that’s possible for such a long trip) or shuttles? Thanks so much.

I would think that trip would be very pricey for Uber.

You should also post this on the Florida Departures forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495

Just a reminder Orlando to Fort Lauderdale is in the 3 hour atleast range. I believe an Uber that had to do round trip 6 hours would be quite high.

Not only quite high but I can’t imagne any Uber driver would even take the fare unless they just happened to be driving to Lauderdale anyway.

Not only quite high but I can’t imagne any Uber driver would even take the fare unless they just happened to be driving to Lauderdale anyway.

Thank you all so far- much appreciated advice!

We’ll be renting a car to do the reverse (Miami to Disney World) after the Symphony Transatlantic. However, our original plan was to fly Southwest between FLL and MCO. Our particular date was unusually expensive (hence the switch), but I’ve seen that route be $50 a person. Southwest does include 2 checked bags if that matters to you.

Since you’re going to the theme parks, if you will be staying at a Disney-owned hotel immediately prior to when you need to travel, Disney does offer a free transportation service to MCO. The flight itself is only an hour. If you are taking Disney’s airport transportation, they often make you leave earlier than you usually would for your flight, but they pick you up right at your hotel.

With a larger group or a ton of luggage, renting a car can easily be the cheapest option. It can also be really convenient to Disney hotels: Disney has a National and an Alamo car rental location on property at what is called the Car Care Center. This is fairly near Magic Kingdom and should have a shuttle to the Ticketing and Transportation Center. Florida also doesn’t seem to charge for picking up your car at one location and dropping it off elsewhere. My car rental from MIA to the Car Care Center is less than $70, and that’s not even for the smallest cars. From everything I can tell, it’s a very easy drive as long as you’re willing to pay for a toll road.

I know a lot about Disney options, but not as much about transportation from around Universal or other theme parks. Though I know for a fact the on property Universal hotels do not offer free airport transportation. I also never bothered to look into shuttles in more detail: they seemed more expensive and more inconvenient than flying or renting a car for my purposes.

http://www.cruiseconnection.travel/rates/ft-lauderdale-miami/

Check route # 3 for Orlando and area pick up.

We did reverse FLL to Port Canaveral and rented a car. It's an easy drive. We rented just one way so it saved us parking while on the cruise. We flew back home from MCO so used the Oasis shuttle to MCO. Rental car was convenient and inexpensive.

Hi. I see you are from NZ and are this hesitant to drive completely opposite from home you drive at home. There is also Amtrak that runs between Orlando and Fll. I do not know the schedule but you can add that to your options.

If you have not already done so, I recommend joining your sailing's roll call. It doesn't hurt to "poll the audience" to see if anyone may be heading south at the same time. It doesn't hurt to ask. Split the cost of a larger vehicle, etc... after all, it is just a 3 hour-ish drive. A lot of us Americans (myself included) are fascinated by British, aussies, and kiwis, and others especially if one of them was offering to pay for the rental that I would have to get anyway, and just need to drive :-)... and have an opportunity to listen to your accent for 3 hours why we pummeled you with our stupid American questions ;-) . It doesn't cost anything to ask, at least.

Safe travels and have a wonderful time in Orlando and on Harmony.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Hi. I see you are from NZ and are this hesitant to drive completely opposite from home you drive at home. There is also Amtrak that runs between Orlando and Fll. I do not know the schedule but you can add that to your options.

If you have not already done so, I recommend joining your sailing's roll call. It doesn't hurt to "poll the audience" to see if anyone may be heading south at the same time. It doesn't hurt to ask. Split the cost of a larger vehicle, etc... after all, it is just a 3 hour-ish drive. A lot of us Americans (myself included) are fascinated by British, aussies, and kiwis, and others especially if one of them was offering to pay for the rental that I would have to get anyway, and just need to drive :-)... and have an opportunity to listen to your accent for 3 hours why we pummeled you with our stupid American questions ;-) . It doesn't cost anything to ask, at least.

Safe travels and have a wonderful time in Orlando and on Harmony.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Thank you, and everyone else for your kind and helpful suggestions. You are spot on that I was being a tad hesitant due to driving on the “other” side of the road- but have managed some driving around Canada in past years so might give Florida driving a try! GPS is so helpful now, as it takes the navigation stress out of the equation. Really looking forward to trying Harmony- looks fabulous! Many thanks once again.

Just a reminder Orlando to Fort Lauderdale is in the 3 hour atleast range. I believe an Uber that had to do round trip 6 hours would be quite high.

Search “Cruise Bus, Florida” - And I think the bus choices will come up.

That's not how Uber is billed

A rental car is going to be your best bet. If you take the Florida Turnpike you can avoid a lot of traffic and have an easy route: Interstate 4 East to Florida Turnpike to Interstate 595 East to the port. Tolls will be about $14. The trip should only take you about 3 and a half hours.

But you should definitely check the cost of a Southwest flight from MCO to FLL. Oftentimes they can be found for the same cost as a rental car, and they allow each passenger to check two bags for free.

The good news for future travelers (World Cup 2026) is that there's a high speed rail line being built between MCO and Fort Lauderdale.