Printed Fun Times

Plus, when we're on vacation even if everybody on the planet is still glued to their phone, tablet, etc, we're not. Tablets and phones go into the safe on embarkation day and don't come out until the night before debark and ONLY to charge for the drive home the next day. I carry my e-reader with me everywhere, but that's it unless I'm using my MP3 player when I exercise. Otherwise, it's in the safe too.

Yup, one of the things I'm most looking forward to on the cruise -- NOT getting the internet package and being blissfully unconnected. I would be quite annoyed if I had to carry my phone around with me all day to access the Fun Times.

DH is the same way. He doesn't want ANYBODY to have any access to him/us while we're on vacation. He tried the HUB app on one of the sea days on our last cruise and was less than impressed by it, which led him to not use it again the rest of the cruise.

a digitally experienced cruising crowd

That's part of WHY we cruise..because while we ARE digitally experienced we don't want to have to rely on our phones, etc every single second that we're on vacation. We do enough of that at home as it is and we just want to get AWAY from all that stupid jazz for a little while.

::proudly waves her "I'm an Old Fart!!!" flag::

I love my Fun Times. Don't want to carry a phone around with me. I have my lanyard with my S&S card. a few dollars to tip for drinks and my folded up Fun Times and that is all I need to carry. That is me on vacation. I usually check in and do a little work back in my room but that is only to keep from being overwhelmed when I return.

DH loved when they had the little newspaper at the coffee bar. That was a cutback he really missed. We both like the feel of reading material in our hands. I am a reader but never on a device Give me a book anytime.

Originally posted by Saint Greg
So then you have to walk over to the elevators and touch a touchscreen that thousands of others have had their nasty fingers on...?

Yup. Just like you touch elevator buttons. And bar rails. And chairs. And stair rails. And faucets. And door handles. And any of a million other things every single day that thousands of others have had their "nasty" fingers on.

You don’t have to touch most of those things.

So all of this puzzles me. I mean, how do you pull your chair out without touching it - with your feet? And open pull doors with what? What about faucets that have knobs instead of levers? How about opening the mailbox every day? I practice good hygiene & do my best to avoid touching the exit door to the bathroom, but there are so many other items that I don't see a way to stay germ-free.

I wouldn't want to have to stand at the elevator to view the fun times just because I would find it inconvenient to traipse to the elevator to see what's going on. Plus, what if there are a hundred other people wanting to check the fun times as well? Just seems like a pain to me.

If Carnival knows what past cruise level you are, they haven't yet mastered the art of pairing their email messages to an individual.. I'm Diamond, and every cruise I get emails explaining how the on line cruise manager works, do I know I can book excursions on line, etc. About the best matching I get is to find my S&S card in my cabin mailbox when I board. Someday their IT Dept may get there, but now it's still a work in progress.

Despite Carnival's IT shortcomings, the digital world is here, and while most CC posters seem to resist it, the rest of the cruising world seems to expect it. Just look around you on your next cruise to see how many are using or carrying their phones with them. Carnival will have to step up its IT game if it wants to attract and retain a digitally experienced cruising crowd.

Just as print pictures are becoming a thing of the past, so will paper schedules, regardless of what a tiny minority of CC posters holding onto the familar past practices say Just look at the newest ship builds, like NCL Escape, Celebrity Edge, RCCL Allure, and MSC Seaside for proof..

I love this. Especially since I work and live in the IT world.

The world has been going paperless for decades and it still is with us. Still waiting for someone to come up with a digital toilet. ;p

Sooner or later there will be a worldwide pandemic among humans, and surely there will be something similar with digital devices and some will be totally lost without their electronic crutch. Some ancient ones will make a fortune recovering the lost art of printing.

I do carry my phone around with me but only for pictures. Last year was my first year using the app and I really enjoyed it. But if they did away with the fun times what would the individuals do that want to see them 1 year before their cruise? (it's a joke):'):')

I do carry my phone around with me but only for pictures. Last year was my first year using the app and I really enjoyed it. But if they did away with the fun times what would the individuals do that want to see them 1 year before their cruise? (it's a joke):'):')

Screen shots from the app. They're already in some reviews.