Printed Fun Times

One important piece of information in the Funtimes is the contact name and telephone number for the port agent in case an emergency arises while in port. Once you are a few hundred feet away from the ship, you will lose WiFi contact with the ship and the app will not work. I think that if Carnival does away with the printed copy of the Funtimes, they will still need to make this information available in print form. Savvy users could save a screen shot on their smartphone with this information before leaving the ship if this information is available in the app, but some cruisers don't have the skills to do this or don't even have smartphones.

I take a photo of the emergency contact info in Fun Times each port day.

They should be on request only.

All those blue cards who don't know what's going on. Probably don't know what the hub app is. May have kids that don't even have phones. And now they have to know they have to request a copy just to find out what's going on? I can't see it. I would think you could opt out by telling the steward if you don't want one.

All those blue cards who don't know what's going on. Probably don't know what the hub app is. May have kids that don't even have phones. And now they have to know they have to request a copy just to find out what's going on? I can't see it. I would think you could opt out by telling the steward if you don't want one.

To be fair I didn't know what the fun times were on my first cruise. We all learn and adapt.

To be fair I didn't know what the fun times were on my first cruise. We all learn and adapt.

Exactly. I learned the first time they put one on my bed. That’s easy to adapt to. If they are by request only and you don’t know about them...how do you know to request them? did you read what I was responding to ?

Edited by Saint Greg

There is no way they will get rid of paper Fun Times. Believe or not I have friends that still have flip phones with no internet.

Believe it or not, I don't use a cell phone.

I do have internet (desk top) and some relics like me. still like the paper Fun Times....LOL:D:D:D:D

carnival should update the technology on their ships to have those digital touchscreen displays next to the elevators that other cruise lines have. Whenever i sail on the newer NCL ships, i love love love the digital touchscreen they have that has the same features of the app. I no longer need to use my phone/tablet to view the daily activity schedule.

carnival should update the technology on their ships to have those digital touchscreen displays next to the elevators that other cruise lines have. Whenever i sail on the newer NCL ships, i love love love the digital touchscreen they have that has the same features of the app. I no longer need to use my phone/tablet to view the daily activity schedule.

So then you have to walk over to the elevators and touch a touchscreen that thousands of others have had their nasty fingers on to see what’s going on?

I’m good with the paper fun times and/or my phone.

I see what you are saying, but CCL knows who is a blue card, and could give one to them to begin with, and let them know about the app. Then they can make a choice what they want. Even better, it can be explained when checking in, or in their cruise documents.

Choices are good... plus this saves money, saves paper, saves ink, as well as time I am sure.

I see what you are saying, but CCL knows who is a blue card, and could give one to them to begin with, and let them know about the app. Then they can make a choice what they want. Even better, it can be explained when checking in, or in their cruise documents.

Choices are good... plus this saves money, saves paper, saves ink, as well as time I am sure.

I’m fine with an opt out option for the fun times. They’re still going to print them in case nobody opts out. I’m sure they recycle. I don’t think explaining the fun times to thousands of people at check-in is a good idea and I don’t think most people read the cruise documents. Maybe on the online check-in when you select your dining time and bed setup.

They can skip my cabin with it. It goes in the trash with all of the other garbage paper they put in there daily. I think they could have it optional or even at guest services if guests want a copy. I know I am in the minority though.

^^^this is a great idea. Maybe have them in a few designated places around the ship. Those who want them can take one. In the groups I cruise with about half of us would pick up a copy and the other half would use their phone. Seems like the best option is to give everyone the option.

^^^this is a great idea. Maybe have them in a few designated places around the ship. Those who want them can take one. In the groups I cruise with about half of us would pick up a copy and the other half would use their phone. Seems like the best option is to give everyone the option.

They usually have them at the coffee shop but not the night before. I don’t see what the difference is. If you go pick it up or if it’s in your room they’ve printed it either way. If you throw it away they recycle it...if it’s sitting at guest services because you opted not to pickup a copy, they’d recycle it.

How does that work when you are off the ship?

Not so sure about saving money. I think likely cheaper to print and distribute to all than figure how who gets one. Every cruise cabin stewards would have to look at a different distribution list. And there will always be people who change their minds on whether or not to receive a paper copy.

So then you have to walk over to the elevators and touch a touchscreen that thousands of others have had their nasty fingers on...?

Yup. Just like you touch elevator buttons. And bar rails. And chairs. And stair rails. And faucets. And door handles. And any of a million other things every single day that thousands of others have had their "nasty" fingers on.

Yup. Just like you touch elevator buttons. And bar rails. And chairs. And stair rails. And faucets. And door handles. And any of a million other things every single day that thousands of others have had their "nasty" fingers on.

You don’t have to touch most of those things.

If Carnival knows what past cruise level you are, they haven't yet mastered the art of pairing their email messages to an individual.. I'm Diamond, and every cruise I get emails explaining how the on line cruise manager works, do I know I can book excursions on line, etc. About the best matching I get is to find my S&S card in my cabin mailbox when I board. Someday their IT Dept may get there, but now it's still a work in progress.

Despite Carnival's IT shortcomings, the digital world is here, and while most CC posters seem to resist it, the rest of the cruising world seems to expect it. Just look around you on your next cruise to see how many are using or carrying their phones with them. Carnival will have to step up its IT game if it wants to attract and retain a digitally experienced cruising crowd.

Just as print pictures are becoming a thing of the past, so will paper schedules, regardless of what a tiny minority of CC posters holding onto the familar past practices say Just look at the newest ship builds, like NCL Escape, Celebrity Edge, RCCL Allure, and MSC Seaside for proof..

Did anyone actually read the posts or watch the videos...the paper fun times are not going away. It was just a poll asking people what they thought because someone wrote a letter about needing to save trees. John Heald made it extremely clear the paper version was not going away.

My daughters middle school has a saying, Read, Read, Read....Read to Succeed!

In one post JH indicated that dropping the paper Fun Times in favor of the app was something the "beards" were looking into and please register your opinion in his poll.

My daughters middle school has a saying, Read, Read, Read....Read to Succeed!

Yes, I can read ... very well in fact. Below are 2 quotes from JH's pages on July 3rd. .....

"Keep the votes coming on the Funtimes paper vs app poll please...............it is very important."

"Well, I really do understand how passionate Alaya is about this and I am sure many of you feel the same. But are we , are you ready for us to go 100% digital with the Funtimes and only publish them on our Hub App? Let’s see what you think on this important poll the beards are looking at."

Haven't read the whole thing but I HOPE they're not getting rid of the Funtimes printed version. Because we tried the HUB app on our last cruise and HATED it.

Plus, when we're on vacation even if everybody on the planet is still glued to their phone, tablet, etc, we're not. Tablets and phones go into the safe on embarkation day and don't come out until the night before debark and ONLY to charge for the drive home the next day. I carry my e-reader with me everywhere, but that's it unless I'm using my MP3 player when I exercise. Otherwise, it's in the safe too.

If Carnival knows what past cruise level you are, they haven't yet mastered the art of pairing their email messages to an individual.. I'm Diamond, and every cruise I get emails explaining how the on line cruise manager works, do I know I can book excursions on line, etc. About the best matching I get is to find my S&S card in my cabin mailbox when I board. Someday their IT Dept may get there, but now it's still a work in progress.

Despite Carnival's IT shortcomings, the digital world is here, and while most CC posters seem to resist it, the rest of the cruising world seems to expect it. Just look around you on your next cruise to see how many are using or carrying their phones with them. Carnival will have to step up its IT game if it wants to attract and retain a digitally experienced cruising crowd.

Just as print pictures are becoming a thing of the past, so will paper schedules, regardless of what a tiny minority of CC posters holding onto the familar past practices say Just look at the newest ship builds, like NCL Escape, Celebrity Edge, RCCL Allure, and MSC Seaside for proof..

I agree, and I am a fan of technology.

So keep pulling the trigger at russian roulette until you are guaranteed a bang?