Lengthy Review - Just off the Eurodam

SailorMarg

On the fact sheet on the cabanas, it mentions “healthy breakfast and lunch options”. What were those options?

You mentioned ordering from the Lido menu for lunch. Was there separate retreat cabana menus?

There was a “Cabana Menu” printed and on the table in the cabana. It was really just a small selection of what was available at the other dining places such as the buffet, Dive In Burger/Hot Dogs, etc. Not really a special or separate menu, just limited choices. The cabana steward with offer far more choices than what they chose to put on this limited menu. Nothing “healthy” about it!

There was a “Cabana Menu” printed and on the table in the cabana. It was really just a small selection of what was available at the other dining places such as the buffet, Dive In Burger/Hot Dogs, etc. Not really a special or separate menu, just limited choices. The cabana steward with offer far more choices than what they chose to put on this limited menu. Nothing “healthy” about it!

Ok, thanks. It sounds like you liked the option of eating lunch there so you did not have to leave and fight for a seat in the Lido. Is everything available such as coffee, tea and cocktail service?

Ok, thanks. It sounds like you liked the option of eating lunch there so you did not have to leave and fight for a seat in the Lido. Is everything available such as coffee, tea and cocktail service?

Pretty much anything we wanted we ordered through our cabana steward. We had the same cabana steward all week. Yes, drinks, including cocktails were ordered through him. And yes! Having a private place to eat lunch each day, and breakfast if we had wanted it, was worth every penny of the cabana cost to us.

SailorMarg - you will need to cruise on some of the other HAL ships too. We haven't sailed on the Eurodam yet, but have had nothing but wonderful cruises on other HAL ships. We've been impressed as well. Glad to read your wonderful review .

I would love to hear what other ships you would recommend, and why. Thanks.

What were people wearing on gala nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My grandson wore a suit and I wore a dress. A few tuxes and lots of suits. Very few long gowns but I saw a couple. There were a few tieless, jacket less men though. They kind of stuckoyt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad you liked the Eurodam and the Signature Suite. They too are our favorite cabins. I echo your husbands' sentiments about the Porterhouse steak in the Pinnacle Grill. I COULD NOT cut it with the knife they gave me. The lobster bisque and the shrimp cocktail were pretty good though. In fact, the last few times we have eaten in the Pinnacle Grill, we came away thinking that it wasn't worth the extra upcharge.

I was very impressed with the MDR evening dining options. It had been five years since our last HAL cruise (lately, mostly Celebrity, Princess and RCI).

Celebrity Luminea and Blu are very good, the Club Class on our last Caribbean Princess was outstanding.

RCI, except for the Oasis class entertainment options- ice shows, diving shows etc. - is great for families with small children.

I have two new HAL bookings because we really enjoyed our Eurodam cruise.

Judy

Thank you for your great review SailorMarge - can you please advise what nights were formal...going on this cruise on in Sept....thank you in advance...

If Day 1 is embarkation day, then Gala Nights were Day 2, the first sea day, and Day 6, Ketchikan port day.

Was there anything in any of the ports, that looking back you would say is a must see/do? Whether is was something you did/saw or heard other raving about?

We did a “flight seeing” tour with Mountain Air in Ketchikan and it is one my life's most memorable experiences. Their normal tour is 2 hours and I requested a 1 hour tour instead. I now wish I had spent the extra money and gone on a 2 hour tour. It was magical. You board a small float plane at a dock a short distance from the ship and then take off from the water.

Can you please tell me if the Eurodam has the new interactive tvs? Some post yes- others say no. I had them on Zaandam in April and loved it. You could check your acct, see menus, watch old tv series and movies. Since we will have rain every day it would be so nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you do lunch in the cabana before you got to port or had to be at an excursion? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our first port was Juneau, Alaska and we arrived at 1PM. We did have our lunch in the cabana on that port day around 11:30. For Sitka, Alaska the we left the ship after breakfast and had a late lunch (from the Dive In) in the cabana after getting back aboard around 3:00 (all aboard was 4:00 I think) as our set dinner time was not until 8:00. In Ketchikan we left the ship after an early breakfast and had lunch in the cabana after getting back aboard as all aboard time was 12:30 that day. It worked out well for us.

The cabana would be a good idea if it is going to rain all week since it is protected and under cover.

I agree. Having a place to hang out that is not your cabin, but is still somewhat private and reserved, is a great thing for rainy days.

Can you please tell me if the Eurodam has the new interactive tvs? Some post yes- others say no. I had them on Zaandam in April and loved it. You could check your acct, see menus, watch old tv series and movies. Since we will have rain every day it would be so nice.Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm sorry, I never used the TV except for occasional background music. I loved the music on the “forward camera” channel! Other than the tv series and movies you mention, the other items such as account checking and menus, etc., I regularly checked on the Navigator App on my phone. They call it an App but really it’s the home page of “login.com” after you put your phone in airplane mode and log into their WiFi (something like EurodamGuest). Great feature by the way. I used it to choose the day's activity. Just mark the ones you are interested in and they are then found in a separate area as your personal “itinerary”. I loved this!

@SailorMarg, how big are the cabanas? I have one reserved, but some other family members are interested too and mentioned sharing one. Wasn’t sure if these are big enough for several people to hang out?? Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We rented a Lido Cabana, and it was snug, but doable, with 3 people. I wouldn’t have wanted any more in there. They can remove a curtain and combine 2 or more into one big cabana, of course for the cost of how ever many you use.

and it will also be on the Eurodam, to the Mexico Riviera out of San Diego.

Thanks for the great review. We're also sailing Eurodam to the MR out of SD in December this year. We love cruising to Mexico, and it is very convenient for us.

When are you cruising to Mexico?