COSTA vs MSC

st1100y2k

I did one Costa cruise (Greek Isles) and two MSC voyages (both Caribbean), and I have an MSC trip planned this Fall.

As a previous poster says, it has a lot to do with where you are cruising, but I really didn't care for the Costa experience (age and condition of the ship- Victoria, and the food).

One thing that drove me crazy on the Costa cruise was how many smoking areas there were. They divided the lounges into smoking and non-smoking areas, but no effort was made to contain the smoke to the smoking areas. Quite often, there were no seats available in non-smoking so you either sat with the smokers (and there were lots of them on the Med cruise), or you went elsewhere. Being an ex-smoker, maybe that bothers me more than it would you.

But, OP, you have been on 2 Costa voyages, so I am sure you are already aware of those points.

To me, what sets MSC apart is how gorgeous the public areas of their ships are. Their food is wonderful, too!

We have sailed with Costa once and we did enjoy it. Food and service were very good. Our only issue was how busy the ship was as it was a Mediterranean cruise and in the summer. Now that said we sailed in the Caribbean on Divina, also in the summer, unfortunately our birthdays and anniversaries are in the summer. And experienced exactly the same problem, actually it was worse. A lesson learnt, never sail from Miami in the summer. Unfortunately the special deals etc did appear to reflect the passenger demographic. All of our other MSC cruises have been off peak and a far more pleasant experience.

I don't mean to be rude, but I haven't read too many good reviews about Costa. I wonder how they fill their ships. Is it because they have the cheapest cruise fares?

Costa is slightly more expensive than MSC and has a lot of loyal supporters in Europe. But while MSC is MSC, Costa now is just one small stone in the Carnival Empire. So this old rivalery is not the same like before.

I don't mean to be rude, but I haven't read too many good reviews about Costa. I wonder how they fill their ships. Is it because they have the cheapest cruise fares?

COSTA is not that cheap any more. I don't know how it is after they become Carnival, but before it was very nice cruise line with lots of fun.

Yes, since the included the Service Charge in the cruise price the prices look more expensive then the MSC prices.

And now so many years already with no new ship and a quite strong focus on the Asian market, I am not sure if Carnival is making the best of this brand, but I am certainly not in a position to argue on that.

Yes, since the included the Service Charge in the cruise price the prices look more expensive then the MSC prices.

And now so many years already with no new ship and a quite strong focus on the Asian market, I am not sure if Carnival is making the best of this brand, but I am certainly not in a position to argue on that.

But don't we have to pay the 10 euro or $12.50/13.50 daily service charges at the end of the cruise? On which Costa site are the DSC included-- UK, Europe, US or Asia?

But don't we have to pay the 10 euro or $12.50/13.50 daily service charges at the end of the cruise? On which Costa site are the DSC included-- UK, Europe, US or Asia?

No, everyone can choose if he wants to pay the "suggest" Service Charge, can adjust in both directions or cancel completely. I thought Costa includes it in all markets, not just in the European Union.

No, everyone can choose if he wants to pay the "suggest" Service Charge, can adjust in both directions or cancel completely. I thought Costa includes it in all markets, not just in the European Union.
Costa and Pullmantur are the only 2 cruise lines which say that the daily service charges are MANDATORY and cannot be adjusted or removed.

It's on the Costa website and also on the cruisecritic official editorial / article on gratuities.

Costa and Pullmantur are the only 2 cruise lines which say that the daily service charges are MANDATORY and cannot be adjusted or removed.

It's on the Costa website and also on the cruisecritic official editorial / article on gratuities.

MSC sued Costa for this after MSC was sued about it by cosumer rights organisations in Germany (and lost). After Costa lost also they had a few month where the Service Charge could be adjusted or removed and then from the next catalogue on they had it all included in the price.

Also Pullman is following European Law meanwhile, just like Costa no Service Charge at all. As far as I know, no cruise company is breaking the law anymore. Of cause with Non-EU-passengers they can do what they want.

If you want to read the relevant law for this you can find it here :)

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32005L0029&rid=2

MSC sued Costa for this after MSC was sued about it by cosumer rights organisations in Germany (and lost). After Costa lost also they had a few month where the Service Charge could be adjusted or removed and then from the next catalogue on they had it all included in the price.

Also Pullman is following European Law meanwhile, just like Costa no Service Charge at all. As far as I know, no cruise company is breaking the law anymore. Of cause with Non-EU-passengers they can do what they want.

If you want to read the relevant law for this you can find it here :)

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32005L0029&rid=2

So, for EU passports, is there no DSC at all in Costa and Pullmantur?

Or do they add DSC to everyones account and only EU passports have the option to adjust or remove them?

Both is possible, the EU has 27 member states plus UK. In Germany for example there is no DSC at all in Costa, NCL and Pullman. While others like MSC and Celebrity have a Service Charge "suggestion" which they note down on your bill at a daily basis "for your convinience". Which is legally OK, as soon as they ask you WHY you want to adjust or remove this practice becomes illegal.

COSTA is not that cheap any more. I don't know how it is after they become Carnival, but before it was very nice cruise line with lots of fun.

Carnival absorbed Costa in 2000. Did you sail Costa before then? EM

Carnival absorbed Costa in 2000. Did you sail Costa before then? EM

We cruised in 2004-2005 , was not that much CCL influence then, and before Concordia . After Concordia, Costa went down the drain ,many workers left and many things changed.