note about Newark airport

poss

Not just my opinion but the opinion of many ..... here is a few of the many things wrong with BA:

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/780120/british-airways-flights-food

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3739860/British-Airways-stops-serving-second-meal-certain-flights.html

This happened to us regularly: https://www.express.co.uk/travel/articles/780120/british-airways-flights-food

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1-d8729039-r544723013-British_Airways-World.html

And, if that is not enough to put you off, see link below (very recent postings)

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.britishairways.com

P.S. In my opinion, Lufthansa's food and service is much better than BA (but their seats are not as comfortable).

I would be interested to know in what way(s), in your opinion, has BA "downgraded" its Business Class offering?

In our opinion BA's service, quality and punctuality on international flights has remained virtually static over the years since introducing lie-flat seating, allowing other airlines to overtake them.

In the last year, BA have added "White Company" bedding to Club World which is a welcome addition.

Our most recent international flying experience was this Spring going to & from Miami from London Heathrow.

Going out we arranged our own flight with British Airways; coming back Regent booked us on Lufthansa.

BA Business Class scored higher in our eyes than LH in all ways ................. but neither airline came close to matching the experience on an airline such as Qatar.

I'm with you flossie. We traveled to Chicago in the spring this year also and did first class both ways from London Heathrow to Chicago, it was a fabulous service and the staff were very professional. On our domestic flights from Scotland to London we traveled business class, now there is no getting away from the fact that these seats are pretty much the same as economy but with the middle seat blocked off, however there is still a meal service on these flights.

Pam.

Oh sorry, I thought we were discussing Business class long haul on British Airways. Many of the articles reference economy short haul or economy/premium economy long-haul (where I agree that BA have made some ill-judged cost cutting measures).

I was actually seeking your own experience for asserting that BA have downgraded their Business Class offering on long haul flights.

I can only go by my own recent experiences and first hand observations.

Their latest Business class offerings are much improved. Yes, the White Company bedding and amenities (including a seat/bed pad) the improved dining options with the individual service and more flexible menu too. Flying out via JFK we had the Do&Co offering, which was better still, though I know that is only available on certain flights. Still, coming home from Denver a couple of weeks ago, the service and in flight offering was pretty good too. With a direct flight to almost anywhere we want to go, BA is usually our airline of choice regardless of reviews such as those quoted here.

I might add that there are two BA styles: We much prefer the 747s with the old style service to the Boeing mixed fleet crew and more relaxed approach. Next time you fly BA, watch and see if the cabin crew are wearing hats....

went on british air last year and they were ok

"ok" may be the right word. We have had several poor service experiences and they ran out of of the dishes that we wanted (all in Business Class). BA charges extra for seats upstairs on their 747 aircraft but they are the last to be served food which makes no sense. The flight attendants are about equal to the older flight attendants on U.S. based airlines (tired and bored).

The one thing that I like about BA is some of their food (only when you are flying out of Heathrow).

Part of our issue with BA is Heathrow. How many times can one lose their luggage before they want to avoid that airport?

My DH (born in London and returned annually for years) used to prefer BA to all other airlines. Now he is the one asking if there is an alternative. I won't say that we will never fly them again because sometimes you are stuck with an airline that you don't like but I put it in the same category as U.S. based airlines.

Give me Cathay Pacific, Qantas, or any Asian airline and we're happy campers.

P.S. To those of us in the U.S., flying out of Heathrow is still flying on a foreign airline in a foreign country. Other airlines do a much better job than BA IOO.

"ok" may be the right word. We have had several poor service experiences and they ran out of of the dishes that we wanted (all in Business Class). BA charges extra for seats upstairs on their 747 aircraft but they are the last to be served food which makes no sense. The flight attendants are about equal to the older flight attendants on U.S. based airlines (tired and bored).

The one thing that I like about BA is some of their food (only when you are flying out of Heathrow).

Part of our issue with BA is Heathrow. How many times can one lose their luggage before they want to avoid that airport?

My DH (born in London and returned annually for years) used to prefer BA to all other airlines. Now he is the one asking if there is an alternative. I won't say that we will never fly them again because sometimes you are stuck with an airline that you don't like but I put it in the same category as U.S. based airlines.

Give me Cathay Pacific, Qantas, or any Asian airline and we're happy campers.

P.S. To those of us in the U.S., flying out of Heathrow is still flying on a foreign airline in a foreign country. Other airlines do a much better job than BA IOO.

Regarding your meal choice not available when you were served is easily solved by you making your choice of meal prior to flying which is available when you go to my booking.

BA can’t be held responsible for all baggage misplacement or loss at LHR.

Have not come across your description of tired and bored flight attendants that have been onboard your BA flights.

Just wondering if your references to your own experiences are recent? As this certainly does not match any of our recent flights? Jean.

Regarding your meal choice not available when you were served is easily solved by you making your choice of meal prior to flying which is available when you go to my booking.

BA can’t be held responsible for all baggage misplacement or loss at LHR.

Have not come across your description of tired and bored flight attendants that have been onboard your BA flights.

Just wondering if your references to your own experiences are recent? As this certainly does not match any of our recent flights? Jean.

Only responding to say that you cannot pre-book food EXCEPT when you are flying out of LHR (at least that is our experience). When we leave YVR going to LHR, our food cannot be pre-booked and it is generally underwhelming.

Agree that BA cannot be held responsible for baggage loss at LHR but one can certainly make an effort to avoid any flights going into LHR (don't care much about going home via LHR because we are going home).

In any case, this is our experience (and the experience of many that have left reviews for BA). For those of you that have had positive experiences, good for you and I hope that it continues. However, there is a reason that BA's reputation is sinking!

Curiousity question...if BA is not responsible for baggage loss, who is??

In one case it was the airport because all of the baggage delivery "things" (for lack of a better word) stopped working. Thirty passengers on our 30 night cruise did not have luggage for 10 nights. It was an interesting experience.

The second time it was the fault of BA. One piece of luggage arrived in New Delhi and the other did not. Two days later a courier delivered the luggage to our hotel in Agra. The poor guy that had to sit on a train for hours wasn't in a good mood when he arrived and didn't understand that the 20 GBP was a good tip. Hopefully he learned later that it was.

Curiousity question...if BA is not responsible for baggage loss, who is??

In one case it was the airport because all of the baggage delivery "things" (for lack of a better word) stopped working. Thirty passengers on our 30 night cruise did not have luggage for 10 nights. It was an interesting experience.

The second time it was the fault of BA. One piece of luggage arrived in New Delhi and the other did not. Two days later a courier delivered the luggage to our hotel in Agra. The poor guy that had to sit on a train for hours wasn't in a good mood when he arrived and didn't understand that the 20 GBP was a good tip. Hopefully he learned later that it was.

If you were transiting through LHR Terminal 5 then it was BA's responsibility not BAA (the Spanish owned airport owner) as the baggage handling system at T5 is operated by British Airways not by BAA.

I may be a pedant but if your luggage eventually arrived then it was not lost, merely misplaced. Very distressing nonetheless.

We are very fortunate in that our home airport is Heathrow and therefore we can get to most places around the world with direct flights on various airlines.

Mudhen & fdny, You resurrect happy memories. Years ago our route of travel was the observation deck at Newark...many a pleasurable Sunday afternoon spent there. The Newmarket, of course, was for a treat occasion.

Now most ‘dining’ at EWR is negotiated thru an iPad and the airport is super hectic.

• 1 month later...

This is new news to an old narrative shared with CCers on two previous Threads. The common thread is Newark Airport as the setting for our June 24-25 saga with United Airlines attempting to return to Seattle after three post-cruise (Navigator, L.A. to NYC) days at NYC and Brooklyn visiting with our son.

Wanted to provide feedback as to what, if anything, United "Customer Care" (almost an oxymoron) has done to respond to my July 3rd complaint letter. Travelcat2 commented on this in a July 15th posting, doubting anything positive would happen.

Out of the blue--received a July 28th tel. call from a Customer Care (Care) representative based at United's Chicago HQ. She had, actually, read my letter addressed to her boss, Bryan Stoller, Care V.P. Actually, a pleasant conversation, full of apologies and taking responsibility for management shortcomings all the way down the line.

Here is where we are as to what I wanted United to consider doing. a. Credit our United Frequent Account with ANOTHER 5,000 miles to cover my wife's situation. This was done immediately. b. Refund our credit card account with the money we paid to upgrade the base Coach Class fare which Regent paid-for. This has been done--as of today. c. Make an in-kind cash or equivalent contribution of food or clothing to a local homeless shelter. (This is what we did with the two "wraps" United proved to SOME passengers fortunate enough to be in the Terminal area when a United representative showed up at about 0200H on the 25th to dump those wraps on the floor. Real class act, there.) So far, no word that United has done this.

The Care representative advised we would receive a $150.00 VISA Gift Card. This has not arrived--yet. The rep. also advised we would receive a $300.00 credit to be applied to a future flight. This has not happened--yet.

The above is a step in the right direction. BTW: have yet to receive any response to a similar letter sent to the New Jersey Attorney General's Office of Consumer Protection.

Our TA has been kept updated on this situation. I received a call from a Guest Relations Administrator at Regent in late July, as I completed ANOTHER post-cruise evaluation following our return to Seattle. That evaluation included the Newark Airport/United debacle. Was advised we would receive some additional benefits as part of our upcoming Explorer cruise. This was totally unexpected, but appreciated. Hopefully, Regent management has independently notified United of our concerns.

So, that is where we are.

GOARMY!

This will probably be my last posting on this Thread.

Yesterday's U.S. Mail contained the following:

1. Cover letter from the United Airlines (UA) Customer Care representative with whom I spoke on this matter--and referenced in an earlier Thread posting. Enclosures were a $150.00 VISA Debit Card [since activated]; and two-two $300.00 Electronic Travel Certificates. These will expire after one year. So, they will be utilized either by my wife and me, or by our son and his family in Brooklyn to facilitate another trip with the grandkids to Seattle.

2. Response letter from New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, Division of Consumer Affairs. That letter advised my documentation on this matter has been forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

I will await any response from the FAA.

My TA--and through that TA--Regent will be notified as to this current UA action. Those entities have been kept appraised of every aspect of this matter.

BOTTOM LINE: If something really, really goes South concerning either an airline or a cruise ship company--do more than fill out a post-cruise evaluation. Take the time to actually, write a letter; or complete an on-line complaint form. And, call a real, live person.

Best.

GOARMY!