Why are you willing to pay such high prices for the Encore?

I'm just curious. Why are some of you so willing to pay the absurd prices for this ship? What is the appeal? I cruise just about every cruiseline's websites daily looking at pricing and this ship seems to be the worst deal available right now. The itinerary is awful and the price is so very high. I sailed the Escape and am sailing the Bliss in March for 15 days. The Encore with a balcony and UBP and UDP for 7 days is the same price we paid for the Bliss for an inside for four people for 15 days (Panama Canal) in an inside an UBP. Thats 8 days more for the same price. We also booked a Celebrity 12 day southern for 2020 for 4 people in a large balcony and drink package for only $400 more than the Encore 7 day balcony same date for 4 with UBP. That's 5 days more and 4 more ports and for 4 people for only $400 more. We love NCL but what are those thinking who are willing to pay thease asking prices for the worst deal around at this time on the Encore? Just curious ....... You don't have to yell at me, just give me your reason why you'd pay these prices.
I agree. I wanted to book it for Thanksgiving week. Nope. I chose the Getaway instead, even though we have already sailed on her. Better itinerary and much better price!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I agree. I wanted to book it for Thanksgiving week. Nope. I chose the Getaway instead, even though we have already sailed on her. Better itinerary and much better price!

To be fair, for the Thanksgiving sailing the ship will only be a couple of weeks old. I am sure in Thanksgiving 2020 and beyond, it will be more reasonably priced. People are willing to pay a premium to sail on a ship when it is brand new.

I don't do it because I prefer the older smaller ships. I don't use any of the bells and whistles on the new ships so there is no need to pay for them.

Bada Bing! The bells and whistles on the new ships are just decoration to me. I enjoy smaller and older at a manageable price.

Edited by IrieBajan54
add text

Most cruise lines do charge a premium on their newer ships at least the first year they enter service. Having said that, NCL takes it to a whole new level. As much as everyone is disgusted by the pricing on a lot of the NCL products/services until people switch then NCL will keep pushing the envelope.

For example, look at what NCL does with the UBP. They charge $89 per day plus a 20% service charge. That's $747 for a 7 day sailing per person. Yes, many get it with their cruise fare but NCL inflates their fares so that you're basically paying for that UBP anyways. That's how they make their money.

Here's an example:

MSC Seaside & NCL Bliss (both brand new ships)

7 night Caribbean sailing on Nov 24th 2018 -

NCL Bliss - Spa Balcony room with UBP & Dining plan = $3,800.10

What's included?

UBP plan (although it's limited and doesn't include bottled water, mini-bar, specialty coffee etc)

3 meals in a specialty restaurant ($89 value)

Access to the Spa (no treatments included)

Spa Balcony room

MSC Seaside - Suite with Whirlpool (Aurea Experience) = $2,798.08

What's included?

Deluxe Drink package - Truly Deluxe! Includes water, everything in your mini-bar, specialty coffee, many specialty deserts/pastries etc.

Access to the Spa + 1 treatment of your choice

Suite with a Whirlpool tub on the balcony

Now...tell me why people are willing to pay $1,000 more for a Spa Balcony room on the Escape then a Whirlpool suite on the Seaside? You pay less and get more on the Seaside.

This is why NCL keeps raising the prices to everything. They must see that people still pay for those things.

With the status match that MSC does there's no reason why everyone shouldn't at least try MSC. We booked a Yacht Club Suite this Fall for the same price as a Mini-Suite on the Bliss.

Most cruise lines do charge a premium on their newer ships at least the first year they enter service. Having said that, NCL takes it to a whole new level. As much as everyone is disgusted by the pricing on a lot of the NCL products/services until people switch then NCL will keep pushing the envelope.

For example, look at what NCL does with the UBP. They charge $89 per day plus a 20% service charge. That's $747 for a 7 day sailing per person. Yes, many get it with their cruise fare but NCL inflates their fares so that you're basically paying for that UBP anyways. That's how they make their money.

Here's an example:

What's included?

UBP plan (although it's limited and doesn't include bottled water, mini-bar, specialty coffee etc)

Spa Balcony room

What's included?

Deluxe Drink package - Truly Deluxe! Includes water, everything in your mini-bar, specialty coffee, many specialty deserts/pastries etc.

Now...tell me why people are willing to pay $1,000 more for a Spa Balcony room on the Escape then a Whirlpool suite on the Seaside? You pay less and get more on the Seaside.

This is why NCL keeps raising the prices to everything. They must see that people still pay for those things.

With the status match that MSC does there's no reason why everyone shouldn't at least try MSC. We booked a Yacht Club Suite this Fall for the same price as a Mini-Suite on the Bliss.

I was thinking about this very comparison earlier today, having just returned from the Breakaway yesterday and also having sailed MSC several times before.

I posed this type of question to others in my group, and mostly the answer boiled down to food and food quality. However, with newer MSC ships, you could eat in a specialty dining restaurant (Butcher's Block?) near every night and still come out ahead on the cruise fare. NCL's standard food fare in the MDR and possibly buffet is far better than MSC, and NCL's specialty choices unparalleled, BUT, is that worth $1K?

I would personally say no. Even if you have to eat onshore or in the specialties on MSC, you definitely get the same in terms of a modern, clean vessel and same access to ports etc. etc.

Others in my group have said if the price difference was a few hundred $ p.p they'd pick NCL, for the food alone.

If MSC can crack the food issue and maintain their current prices, they'd' steal the market.

I was thinking about this very comparison earlier today, having just returned from the Breakaway yesterday and also having sailed MSC several times before.

I posed this type of question to others in my group, and mostly the answer boiled down to food and food quality. However, with newer MSC ships, you could eat in a specialty dining restaurant (Butcher's Block?) near every night and still come out ahead on the cruise fare. NCL's standard food fare in the MDR and possibly buffet is far better than MSC, and NCL's speciality choices unparalleled, BUT, is that worth $1K?

I would personally say no. Even if you have to eat onshore or in the specialites on MSC, you definitely get the same in terms of a modern, clean vessel and same access to ports etc. etc.

Others in my group have said if the price difference was a few hundred $ p.p they'd pick NCL, for the food alone.

If MSC can crack the food issue and maintain their current prices, they'd' steal the market.

MSC is putting lots of focus in the North American market. They just got 2 brand new ships and I believe there's 2 more coming in the next few months. If you read the reviews for the Seaside you'll see many complaints at first and slowly but surely the reviews (even the food) are getting much better. If MSC decides to put a 2nd ship in Florida for Caribbean sailings then NCL better watch out.

Btw: You can currently book a 7 night Caribbean sailing on the Seaside in a balcony room for under $600 per person and includes their basic beverage package (limited brands etc) but they don't charge you a service charge on a beverage package and can upgrade to the classic package (similar to the UBP on NCL) for about $180 per person. That's about $1,500 for 2 people in a balcony cabin on the Seaside with a beverage package. NCL can't even come close.

MSC is putting lots of focus in the North American market. They just got 2 brand new ships and I believe there's 2 more coming in the next few months. If you read the reviews for the Seaside you'll see many complaints at first and slowly but surely the reviews (even the food) are getting much better. If MSC decides to put a 2nd ship in Florida for Caribbean sailings then NCL better watch out.

Btw: You can currently book a 7 night Caribbean sailing on the Seaside in a balcony room for under $600 per person and includes their basic beverage package (limited brands etc) but they don't charge you a service charge on a beverage package and can upgrade to the classic package (similar to the UBP on NCL) for about $180 per person. That's about $1,500 for 2 people in a balcony cabin on the Seaside with a beverage package. NCL can't even come close.

I agree - I haven't sailed MSC in North America yet, only Europe, but can easily agree with your points. My personal experience is that NCL food does take the edge but if MSC are listening to NA guests then I'd be glad to try their offering for a Caribbean itinerary in the near future.

P.S I am Platinum with NCL and have no axe to grind either way, just telling it as it is. Have sailed with NCL about 4x as much as I have MSC but starting to convert based on NCL pricing and 'nickel and diming.'

We got to sail the brand new Carnival Horizon on her TA voyage, and they were not well organized, and used the newness of the ship and crew as the excuse. We won't be doing that again, and we won't take the first cruise after a drydock.

Here's an example:

What's included?

Spa Balcony room

What's included?

Wow. I think this may be a sign of competition heating up. Especially with all the big ships on order. Love the looks and features of the seaside, never sailed MSC but ya never know what the future may bring! Carnivals itineraries are getting tiring and we are always on the lookout for unique sailings.

Wow. I think this may be a sign of competition heating up. Especially with all the big ships on order. Love the looks and features of the seaside, never sailed MSC but ya never know what the future may bring! Carnivals itineraries are getting tiring and we are always on the lookout for unique sailings.

MSC does status match as well. So if you're "platinum" with Carnival then they'll give you matching status on MSC. I've never sailed MSC and i'm already Black tier with them. LOL!

MSC also has a promotion where they include their basic "drinks on us" package even with the most basic booking and that includes free alcohol but they limit it to the basic brands. You can upgrade the beverage package for about $180 per person I think. It's worth a shot! Leave NCL in the dust...