Wine with dinner

TeamA

We enjoy wine with dinner and will have the premium drink package this cruise. Is there anyone in the Luminae or MDR that can recommend a glass to go with each course that would be covered in the package?

If so, how do I find them? Who do I ask for?

Thanks

Are you in a suite and dining in Luminae? If so, there is a sommelier assigned to Luminae, just tell the server you would like to speak to him or her. You will be well taken care of.

Same if you are in Aqua and dining in Blu, although there might be 2 sommeliers in Blu.

The MDR has a sommelier assigned to each area, although they could use a few more so might be harder to get prompt service there.

Each specialty also has a sommelier and you will find them at the buffet and of course Cellar Masters.

Enjoy your cruise and wine pairing.

Our MDR somm was prompt, attentive and amazing on our last Reflections trip - no suite required.

Also no pre-tipping or palm-greasing required either - just friendly group of wine lovers here and our sommelier took care of us like we were the most VIP of VIP's. He even opening wines off the bottle list that were beyond the premier package yet never charging us a dime.

The OP's question is legit though challenging to answering because wine on the ship seems to change not just cruise to cruise but night to night. If something sells well it's gone and there's another wine to replace it on the next night thus making it hard to make specific suggestions.

We found it helpful to have some descriptions at the ready so when our wine steward came by we could describe some of our *happy place* wines. We like old world styles, from Bordeaux to Mosel to Loire. From there it was a wonderful wine journey from night to night. If we didn't like what we got, it was never a problem to be honest and get a replacement.

Cheers! :wine-glass:

We have also had no issues with wines suggested to us by the sommelier.....they do offer a taste so if you don’t like their first offering ask for another.

If you want a different wine with each course make it clear to the sommelier or if he sees your glass going down he will just top it up!

The wine lists in each venue frequently have ‘replacements’ .....we rarely look at them anymore. Also different venues do have different stock.

Have a great cruise!

The MDR has a sommelier assigned to each area, although they could use a few more so might be harder to get prompt service there.

Agreed. We typically find that MDR sommeliers are stretched pretty thin. Even when ordering bottles of more premium wine that what is included in the package we find it hard to get any real attention from them. On the other hand, we were on Millennium a few weeks ago and found the sommelier in Luminae to be readily available.

We didn’t have an issue with getting assistance in the MDR. After ordering the first night, they were always right there later nights. If you order a bottle, it is kept for you, and you can also use that bottle at any lounge later.

It’s set aside by name and table number and they retrieve it.

Enjoy.

Den

Wine choices by the glass was a really limited choice on my summit cruise a few months ago, best wine we had was the bottle we brought which sommelier asked if he could taste, .they need to have more choices by the glass.

We enjoy wine with dinner and will have the premium drink package this cruise. Is there anyone in the Luminae or MDR that can recommend a glass to go with each course that would be covered in the package?

If so, how do I find them? Who do I ask for?

Thanks

The great thing about the premium package is you can do wine pairing per course..and the sommelier will help. Let them know when you first sit for dinner and discuss what you like. They are great about bringing a change of glasses and wines... especially in the smaller venues/specialty restaurants

Yes, I remember the sommelier in the MDR--he inquired of my preference the first night. I only drink sauvignon blanc (preferably NZ) & pinot grigio. Simplified things for him--he kept my glass full all week!

If you are lucky you will have a knowledgeable sommelier who is also available when you need them. When we first board we talk to the sommelier and ask them if they are comfortable with doing the wine pairings for each course. We also indicate that all things being equal my wife prefers white and I prefer red.

Generally we've had good service and as the week goes on they figure out your tastes to help with the pairings. Only once did we have a sommelier who had no clue how to pair food/wine (we're not sure he was really a sommelier).

Fingers crossed that on our next cruise we see one of the better sommeliers we've had over the years.