Group (Jewish Music Festival and Kosher) - Opinions

I am currently booked on the January 2019 cruise for the Allure. There is a large group (supposedly like 1500) on board that cruise.

I am a bit worried the effects that having such a large group will have on the cruise - in both the closing of various venues for their special events as well as the kitchen issues (dealing with the making of kosher for such a large group).

Any opinions or things that I should be ready for (as I cannot change the cruise I am on at this point)?

Thanks.

I would not like to be on any shiip, even in oasis class, with a group of 1500 passengers. I consider that a large group. I wouldn’t worry about the kitchen. They will be able to provide the normal meals for the other 4500 passengers.

I might be concerned about closure of certain venues at certain times if there are any special group events planned.

Perhaps in the end, the group will not be as large as you suspect.

M

I would assume that a portion of one of the kitchens (not sure are there kitchens on each of the three decks of the MDR) or a whole kitchen will be delegated for the Kosher meals and once that area is certified under Kashrut nothing else will be near there.

I agree with the answer that Cruisegirl1 gave and I don't think I would want to be on a cruise with any group that size as by human nature it will lead to crowding in areas as people gather and of course as you mentioned closure of venues.

Good Luck

Does the group list a daily schedule of events that might give you some idea as to whether they will take up a lot of common space?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Fair question but looking at the description of a music festival I would assume (I know the joke) that lots of public areas will be used for 1,500 people.

I may be a minority but I always enjoy Oasis class ships when they have large groups on-board. Groups tend to plan things out so if one are is busy then others are empty. As an example they had a special lunch on sea days in the dining room, private area...which meant the windjammer and pool deck was dead.

This big issue was later at night when they took over certain bars as a large group but as I'm flexible I went to others and they were very sparse with people.

I and 3 others sailed with this group on the Oasis back on January 22, 2017. You can search for the sailing Roll Call to read others' feedback on sailing with this group.

During our sailing, more areas than normal were closed off for the group's private functions, primarily during the day. So, this did not affect us much as non group cruisers. The Wipeout Cafe was closed off to non group guests for the entire cruise. The wife also remembers that the Solarium Cafe was exclusive to the group for breakfast and lunch each day.

The group includes many children, more than what I would have ever expected on a sailing that time of year.

We had a great time on the sailing. It was our first experience on an Oasis class ship.

The ncl gem had a large group on a "yeshiva week" sailing out of NYC.

This is a Hebrew school holiday week similar to spring break

I believe the cruise date was January 22. 2016 or 2015

Threads about this cruise and the ramifications of a group of 500 ...which btw booked on their own not through a group ...kept getting poofed.

Btw there were no nasty posts at all...just posts stating what other pax...saw and had to endure....

Imho find a different cruise....and make sure it's Saturday embark/debark

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The ncl gem had a large group on a "yeshiva week" sailing out of NYC.

This is a Hebrew school holiday week similar to spring break

I believe the cruise date was January 22. 2016 or 2015

Threads about this cruise and the ramifications of a group of 500 ...which btw booked on their own not through a group ...kept getting poofed.

Btw there were no nasty posts at all...just posts stating what other pax...saw and had to endure....

Imho find a different cruise....and make sure it's Saturday embark/debark

NOT the same.

Yeshiva Week just has people booking individually because the kids are not in school.

The OP's cruise has an organized charter affinity group.

I and 3 others sailed with this group on the Oasis back on January 22, 2017. You can search for the sailing Roll Call to read others' feedback on sailing with this group.

During our sailing, more areas than normal were closed off for the group's private functions, primarily during the day. So, this did not affect us much as non group cruisers. The Wipeout Cafe was closed off to non group guests for the entire cruise. The wife also remembers that the Solarium Cafe was exclusive to the group for breakfast and lunch each day.

The group includes many children, more than what I would have ever expected on a sailing that time of year.

We had a great time on the sailing. It was our first experience on an Oasis class ship.

Here you go.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2214708

(just read it. There's actually not a LOT of talk about the group. Just a couple of people commenting negatively)

Edited by Merion_Mom

Large groups WILL take over the ship for their events - no doubt! And don't believe anyone who tells you different. We had a much smaller group on a recent OASIS sailing - it was also a Jewish contingent. They take over the activities and public areas, and also on one particular night RCCL closed off / dedicated two of the elevators for this group. I would avoid group cruises if I have the chance.

And, don't say I am "racist" or whatever - a group is a group! And RCCL bends over backwards for them.......

We have been on several different cruises with large groups (on various cruise lines).....it would be preferable to NOT sail with large groups in our opinion. They not only close down venues for the group only, but at other times there are just large groups 'hanging together' clogging other venues too and it can really get 'old' fast. We cruised with a large Naval group (800), a Star Trek "Trekkies" group (500), a Polka Group (750) which was the worst ever because we weren't able to stop at 2 ports due to weather on that cruise so they didn't pick up new entertainment and the Polka accordion players so kind heartedly (tongue-in-cheek) offered to fill in the gaps and played Polka music in every venue on that ship.....my then 22 year old son vowed to NEVER cruise again (a promise he has kept). These groups can be very overwhelming and they definitely change the 'tenor' of the cruise.....and the cruise lines do NOT notify other pax in advance of theses partial 'charters' (we were NEVER notified). I would stay away if you know in advance.......but only MHO!!!

We were on Oasis when the group was on and we will NEVER, NEVER EVER cruise when they are on the ship again. It was horrific and the way they treated the cruise line employees was horrific. Yes there were areas closed the entire time that we were not allowed to enter. The children ran wild, up and down the halls, the elevators were a nightmare.

You really need to read some of the posts from that January cruise. We have cruised 43 times and have never encountered anything as awful as that cruise. Fortunately we had a grand suite to hide in and yes, that is what we did quite a bit, hide away in our cabin.

We were seated close to the one group in the dining room and one of the men in the group, I took it to maybe be an elder knocked the dinner plate out of the servers hand and yelled, that is not the way you serve me!

One way or another if they were on the cruise I booked, I guarantee you I would be changing that date.

NOT the same.

Yeshiva Week just has people booking individually because the kids are not in school.

The OP's cruise has an organized charter affinity group.

It sounds like the same week nonetheless. I'm betting the cruise the op is talking about is during yeshiva week

But yup some book individually and some book thru Kosherica and some book thru the actual group tour operator. Doesn't really matter either because this week is akin to college spring break (which many cruisers jump through hoops to avoid) the only difference is that college spring breakers don't cruise with parents and siblings for the most part but yeshiva week cruisers tend to be very very large immediate family groups traveling with parents and kids of all ages.

Btw yeshiva week is January 20 to 27, 2019

And Kosherica has rccl on their website as a group cruise for that week

Edited by maggie cruises

• 4 months later...

Haha wow guys it's a cruise, it's supposed to be fun!  When you are on a megaship with 8000 people there are going to be plenty of inconveniences, people who annoy you, and less than perfect moments.

At the end of the day, we are privileged to experience something as wonderful as a vacation on a floating resort.

I for one am going to embrace every moment of it including this group should they impact my vacation.

Just my opinion :)