Status Match from other Cruise Lines

And back to the OP: It's time to post your next 50-100 posts on something actually related to your cruise experience or questions about your expected experience on Celebrity. The "why doesn't a cruise line I've never sailed on change to suit some notion I have" posts are old. Really old.

Wow!

Don't you see that everyone else is enjoying this thread and we're all learning from each other? I've posted plenty about my cruise experience and offered questions - just like here. MSC is sparking my interest especially this Yacht Club experience. I'm 100% for new concepts and competition = more choices and better bang per buck.

Like some folks have said the new Edge Class is already copying the tier systems of Haven and Yacht Club.

Edited by Doug & Cindy Scrap Hunter

Wow!

Don't you see that everyone else is enjoying this thread and we're all learning from each other? I've posted plenty about my cruise experience and offered questions - just like here. MSC is sparking my interest especially this Yacht Club experience. I'm 100% for new concepts and competition = more choices and better bang per buck.

Like some folks have said the new Edge Class is already copying the tier systems of Haven and Yacht Club.

Nope. This one comes up about every 3-6 months. This is how it normally goes. Folks will get bored shortly and it will go away.

So, tell me about your cruise experiences. Have you cruised MSC? What did you think? Why does the Yacht Club experience interest you? Why do new concepts and competition interest you? What is it about them that has your attention? Does Edge interest you or discourage you? I don't see any of this in your previous posts. How about an actual introduction? Post #1 is about sailing Vision? Are you? Did you? When? All I've seen on the Celebrity board are "why doesn't X do Y?" posts. If I'm missing something, post a link.

Nope. This one comes up about every 3-6 months. This is how it normally goes. Folks will get bored shortly and it will go away.

So, tell me about your cruise experiences. Have you cruised MSC? What did you think? Why does the Yacht Club experience interest you? Why do new concepts and competition interest you? What is it about them that has your attention? Does Edge interest you or discourage you? I don't see any of this in your previous posts. How about an actual introduction? Post #1 is about sailing Vision? Are you? Did you? When? All I've seen on the Celebrity board are "why doesn't X do Y?" posts. If I'm missing something, post a link.

Nope - That is a different subject altogether. You can E-mail me or start a new thread where folks tell their cruise history and I'll add my own. What's the point of writing it here? Everyone else here is interested in MSC's loyalty program - not Uncle Doug's last few Cruises.

The OPs cruising history has morphed from a first time cruiser to a cruiser who has sailed Carnival for years, and other iterations as well. All depends on the day.

We are not fans of the class segregation either, but it looks like Celebrity is heading more and more in that direction, with their exclusive lounges and dining rooms, and now even private deck areas that are off limits to the rest of their passengers.

From what we can see, they will be reducing even more of the public space to expand the areas exclusively for suite passengers.

This is not just a case of sour grapes.

Even when we stay in suites and are ourselves the recipients of such treatment, I dislike the way they do it.

I find Celebrity's "in your face" approach of flaunting their special treatment for suite passengers, blatantly taking us directly to the front of lines and pushing us ahead of other people who have patiently been waiting their turn in line, to be offensively crude and boorish

:D:D If this is how you feel about the little space reserved for suites on Celebrity/Edge, you should never sail MSC or NCL unless you are in Yacht Club or Haven.

The newer ships of NCL with little open public space which is not taken up by rope gardens and Margatitaville etc. anyway have about 1/3 of the ship - the ship, not just a deck - separated for Haven. Entry with key card only, off limits to regular passengers.

Try it, come back to Celebrity and complain about that one lounge or little sun deck again ;)

What some of you are ignoring is that NCL and MSC are more in line with Royal Caribbean by style and not with Celebrity, HAL, Princess.

But if that’s what you want, enjoy your cruise!

:D:D If this is how you feel about the little space reserved for suites on Celebrity/Edge, you should never sail MSC or NCL unless you are in Yacht Club or Haven.

The newer ships of NCL with little open public space which is not taken up by rope gardens and Margatitaville etc. anyway have about 1/3 of the ship - the ship, not just a deck - separated for Haven. Entry with key card only, off limits to regular passengers.

Try it, come back to Celebrity and complain about that one lounge or little sun deck again ;)

What some of you are ignoring is that NCL and MSC are more in line with Royal Caribbean by style and not with Celebrity, HAL, Princess.

Has it already been confirmed then that X won’t be doing the same with their seapass cards regarding gaining access to suite only areas? It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this will be the case :confused:.

:D:D

Having sailed HAL and X I'm not sure I'd see them as that similar. Their target markets are certainly not the same.

I type this whilst sat on my balcony on an RCL mega ship heading back to Southampton and can honestly say that in terms of quality the difference between RCL and X is not as great as the likes of Lutroff Perlo would like her sheep to believe. Whilst X may offer a more sophisticated and upscale experience in some parts of the ship, RCL beat it in others where they really shouldn't.

I might write my experience drawing comparisons later, but I've come to appreciate first hand that X really does trade on it's reputation of yesteryear.

Has it already been confirmed then that X won’t be doing the same with their seapass cards regarding gaining access to suite only areas? It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this will be the case :confused:.

It was months ago, but I'm sure I read that access to the Retreat will be via seapass card. :)

This thread is about perk levels being recognized across brands .

But within a cruise line, post #47 sums things up re perks. The "game" has changed

The suite experience will beat accruing points for perks.. Pay for a suite and you get lots of benefits instantly. If you do art auctions, or gamble alot, you get perks.

. The perk levels were a way to sell repeat cruises but are no longer the best or only way to get extras.. just like airlines where you can now buy extra points.

We are happy with our E plus perks ..and AQ class inclusions. If we want more or different inclusions, we,ll have to pay more for the suite.

. We hope they find a way to stop the dilution of our tier perks and do not add any more reciprocity programs

Edited by hcat

Thank you, I thought that would be the case. Perhaps Miaminice missed that one ;).

No, but I must have missed the one were I said they wouldn‘t. :rolleyes:

OK, the difference in simple terms for you guys:

Edge will have a Retreat Lounge/Restaurant replacing the already existing Luminae and Michael‘s Club. Different name, combined location but not more than now already. (Access by card? Maybe!)

Plus a small sun deck replacing the top deck on which most of us have probably not even spent 5 minutes. In total a relatively small area reserved for suite guests. What a big deal! However, it really seems to affect some people’s ego...

NCL separates 1/3 of the entire ship !!! Not just a third of the top deck, the entire ship across many decks. Closed doors, no entry for regular passengers to one third of the ship!!! Plus, another part of the remaining total space of the top deck is accessible after paying extra only (Vibe Club).

If you don’t see the difference I really can’t help you.

Have any of you experts cruised on NCL and seen the difference? Since noone has been on Edge yet, have you looked at the deck plans and at least compared them to NCL before posting?

Checking facts is so out of fashion and overrated and replaced by moaning as the new thing to do.

Deck plans Edge: https://lookaside.fbsbx.com/file/CEL_EdgeDecks_For_Brochure%201.pdf?token=AWy9PxubXYIlsVs8FfYsUVMB8aI_lNzSNYdIpAs2OCIoUCUQlexMfyvTGTHercy9m2PYF6tdjhKg4BCF1pwqsWc0EnzP9yJUyBl652T1o-KT3DblQVEhzEp9P2pKOfsOyx6uadVJMs5Et-VTgog1TKMgiN6fHNjRzIC1nQoUTIeb27baKjp6Fjmq-Z5aPScc8puHSHAiTxptm8Wyls7VpUiB

Edited by Miaminice

But as you correctly stated, MSC needed to fill their ships and there weren’t enough loyal cruisers to do do that. For me that says a lot.

No, it says the same situation as when Royal Caribbean and Celebrity started in Australia, and their loyalty rooms were empty. And still emptier here today than in the US.

The only difference is the business decision. One company decided to capitalise on the opportunity and lure frequent cruisers from other lines, since they had capacity. The other company just let the opportunity go to waste and sail with fairly empty loyalty rooms and queues.

No, it says the same situation as when Royal Caribbean and Celebrity started in Australia, and their loyalty rooms were empty. And still emptier here today than in the US.

The only difference is the business decision. One company decided to capitalise on the opportunity and lure frequent cruisers from other lines, since they had capacity. The other company just let the opportunity go to waste and sail with fairly empty loyalty rooms and queues.

Sure, pick your exceptions to prove a point :) Australia is a relatively small market. Anyway, what „loyalty rooms“ are you talking about? There are no rooms (as in staterooms) reserved for Captain‘s Club.

If you are talking about the social hour events, just because they are not full it doesn’t mean the ship is not full. In new markets people on board have no loyalty level yet. Still the berths are full... proving my point Celebrity fills the ship without the need of a general status match.

Worldwide Royal/Celebrity ships sail with 98 to 100 % occupancy. Check shareholder reports for details. I can’t see the problem in that.

Edited by Miaminice