Status Match from other Cruise Lines

The status match with Royal has led to overcrowding at Cap Club and E plus events on X and Diamond events on Royal, Too many at higher levels has led to perk dilution...Everyone is Special!

Exactly. Every time we are in line to board (priority Elite+ embarkation) the line is long. My DH always comments no one is special if everyone is.

Not to mention Elite+ are basically just thrown in with Elites. There is very little differentiation between the two levels except for a few extra perks. At least on RCCL Diamond Plus are allowed in the Concierge Lounge as well as the Diamond Lounge.

The worst thing they did was make the RCCL & Celebrity perks reciprocal. After 4 RCCL cruises I don't have much desire to sail them again. I am sure I will at some point.

The worst thing they did was make the RCCL & Celebrity perks reciprocal. After 4 RCCL cruises I don't have much desire to sail them again. I am sure I will at some point.

I don't think it was the worst thing.

We had taken a few Celebrity cruises and thought we might want to try something different next time.

We could have gone back to Princess, but instead, because we found out we would now be Diamond on Royal, we decided, instead, to go back to Royal Caribbean.

Food for thought:

1: Why does MSC have to give discounts and freebies to cruisers who have never cruised with them before?

Because they've decided to compete heavily in a newer market for repeat/frequent cruisers and recognize those cruisers have an incentive to stay with their current cruise line.

2: What would you think if you had to share the Elite events with people who never did a Celebrity cruise before?

Since that was me on my first Celebrity cruise, I was fine with it. I would also have been fine with Celebrity cruisers on Royal. Just like I'm fine with a Star Alliance Gold member from Lufthansa being in my United Club before an international flight.

If I were a loyal MSC cruiser who "earned" the status, I´d really be upset about it. Because someone is always paying the bill...

Yes. The marketing department that decided this was a good marketing strategy. Which it probably is.

That's how loyalty matching works. I don't see a problem with it.

I saw that MSC is now matching loyalty status with other cruise lines. Would this help Celebrity and Royal Caribbean? I'm 14 points away from Platinum on Carnival and could probably convince Cindy to do a back to back to get to the next tier. Some folks don't want to leave and venture out because of their perks but would if their loyalty was recognized. This would sweeten the pot and help fill up some of those winter cabins in the Caribbean. Some of us might even try something more upscale like Azamara.

MSC has been "status matching" for going on 3 years now. I first sailed with them in 2016 (non Yacht Club) and then again this past April (Yacht Club). Both experiences were excellent, but the Yacht Club totally blows away everything X offers IMHO. I have another cruise booked with them in 2019 in the YC. Price-wise, they give me the best bang for my buck-especially since I am a solo cruiser.

That's how loyalty matching works. I don't see a problem with it.

Well, I do! And I am not looking at it from the receiving end.

MSC went this way because they needed to fill their berths... and didn’t care about previously loyal cruisers.

Except for the matches within the Royal family does not need to do it because they have no problems filling the ships.

While this might create lower prices, for me it is a sign of quality. I rather cruise wit a good cruise line than a cheaper cruise line.

Well, I do! And I am not looking at it from the receiving end.

MSC went this way because they needed to fill their berths... and didn’t care about previously loyal cruisers.

Except for the matches within the Royal family does not need to do it because they have no problems filling the ships.

While this might create lower prices, for me it is a sign of quality. I rather cruise wit a good cruise line than a cheaper cruise line.

No. They needed to fill their ships and wanted to expand their markets. And there weren't enough "previously loyal cruisers" to do that. So they tried something to appeal to other frequent cruisers. Nothing emotional about it; it was a business decision.

I don't understand the "good cruise line" versus "cheaper cruise line" part of your statement. That could be true (or not) with or without a match.

Do you get mad when your bank doesn't offer you a 0% introductory offer on a credit card that they extend to new customers? Or when FIOS offers you two years of service at a cut rate price to switch from XFINITY and they do nothing? Do you switch?

MSC also is giving 10 percent off for veterans , all the reviews I have read on yacht club have been great. Although I really enjoyed celebrity suite perks , sound like yacht club has a few extra .

More than a few extra.

The Yacht Club on MSC is fabulous!

No. They needed to fill their ships and wanted to expand their markets. And there weren't enough "previously loyal cruisers" to do that. So they tried something to appeal to other frequent cruisers. Nothing emotional about it; it was a business decision.

I don't understand the "good cruise line" versus "cheaper cruise line" part of your statement. That could be true (or not) with or without a match.

Do you get mad when your bank doesn't offer you a 0% introductory offer on a credit card that they extend to new customers? Or when FIOS offers you two years of service at a cut rate price to switch from XFINITY and they do nothing? Do you switch?

No, as long as I am happy actually I don’t. I am looking for good and reliable service, not for the lowest price. And companies or cruiselines providing good service don’t have to resort to these extreme marketing instruments.

On the other hand you are probably not happy if you are a loyal customer of let’s say a service provider and new customers get better than or just as good deals as you. Well, this is what loyal MSC customers could feel like.

Again, I am not looking to cruise with MSC nor am I harmed by their status match - while it does not tempt me either. MSC is really not a line I would choose.

I am purely looking at it from a neutral point of view.

MSC also has doubtful business methods in other ways and in dealing with their own employees, so I was not surprised when they started this program some years ago.

But as you correctly stated, MSC needed to fill their ships and there weren’t enough loyal cruisers to do do that. For me that says a lot.

Of course, if I was looking for a low cost cruise no matter the cruise line I‘d be happy. But I am not and prefer to choose my line for other reasons. And yes, it is true with or without status match.

Celebrity is able to give less for higher prices. They don’t have to hand out freebies as MSC does. As a Celebrity customer this might not help me much. As someone evaluating the company I have to realize it is the more solid corporation.

Some might say giving out the free drink package is a "freebee" that other cruise lines don't have to do...…

Royal Caribbean (even in the same family) doesn't have to.

Princess does it only occasionally.

Holland America.....I don't know.

Some might say giving out the free drink package is a "freebee" that other cruise lines don't have to do...…

Actually you pay for anything that is "free" on Celebrity. Simply buried in the price. Celebrity is not alone in including "free" items that you actually are paying for in their price.

I know.

But according to the previous poster they shouldn't have to do that. They give less and charge more.

However, in thinking back to my last couple of Celebrity cruises, the prices were excellent and the perks were good, too....those offered by Celebrity and by my TA.

Edited by mafig

We were loyal Celebrity cruisers having reached elite status. Travelled aqua class on all the S class ships as well on the Summit. When MSC Seaside came along I said I'd give it a try since I had travelled NCL Haven and wanted to compare that to MSC's Yacht Club. The initial reviews for MSC Seaside...mostly negative...made me pause and consider cancelling. Well I didn't cancel...and like some others have said here MSC Yacht Club blew me away. It's far superior to aqua class on Celebrity and the price is not that much greater. Celebrity needs to come up with something comparable to a Yacht Club or they are going to see a lot of defections in the coming years. NCL Haven is too expensive....but MSC YC far outstrips anything Celebrity is currently offering.

Exactly. Every time we are in line to board (priority Elite+ embarkation) the line is long. My DH always comments no one is special if everyone is.

Not to mention Elite+ are basically just thrown in with Elites. There is very little differentiation between the two levels except for a few extra perks. At least on RCCL Diamond Plus are allowed in the Concierge Lounge as well as the Diamond Lounge.

Agree...we made our choice for X early on. We still stray over to Royal every few yrs but not for the perks..we might do it for a special itin and would have to consider a suite.

Royal Caribbean (even in the same family) doesn't have to.

Princess does it only occasionally.

Holland America.....I don't know.

Just that it is not actually free ;)

We were loyal Celebrity cruisers having reached elite status. Travelled aqua class on all the S class ships as well on the Summit. When MSC Seaside came along I said I'd give it a try since I had travelled NCL Haven and wanted to compare that to MSC's Yacht Club. The initial reviews for MSC Seaside...mostly negative...made me pause and consider cancelling. Well I didn't cancel...and like some others have said here MSC Yacht Club blew me away. It's far superior to aqua class on Celebrity and the price is not that much greater. Celebrity needs to come up with something comparable to a Yacht Club or they are going to see a lot of defections in the coming years. NCL Haven is too expensive....but MSC YC far outstrips anything Celebrity is currently offering.

I sure hope they won‘t ! I dislike the ship-in-ship concept with the closed off areas. Why would I want to book a ship which is only good when booking a separated area like Haven etc.

I prefer a ship where I feel good no matter which part I am in.

I sure hope they won‘t ! I dislike the ship-in-ship concept with the closed off areas. Why would I want to book a ship which is only good when booking a separated area like Haven etc.

I thought they were doing the ship within a ship concept with the new Edge. Basically copying NCL and MSC.

We were on Royal about 8 months ago and at least on the cruise we were on Diamond Plus didn’t have access to the Concierge Lounge- lots of complaining in a standing room only Diamond Lounge. Friends of our who cruise Royal exclusively & are Diamond Plus had the same experience, no Concierge Lounge access on a cruise earlier this year.

I thought they were doing the ship within a ship concept with the new Edge. Basically copying NCL and MSC.

Then you should get your facts straight and take a look at the deck plans.

On Edge we are talking about a small sun deck and a lounge/restaurant. Not 1/3 of the ship like Haven on Escape for example.

I think status will become increasingly irrelevant in the years to come. Money can buy status. I'm taking my first Celebrity cruise next month with family and we have booked three sky suites with all perks. We get pretty much everything status could get us except laundry. I can pack accordingly. I don't really consider status in my vacation planning. I go with the best I can get for the money I'm spending. The perks of status at the high end are simply not that important. You could probably say the same for MSC YC but I haven't sailed them so can't say for sure. Same for hotels. Status has been diluted with various CC benefits so that I can get the same status with a one night stay with the right CC as someone who stays 50 plus nights per year. The benefits are also decreasing because of this. Maybe a free breakfast or a few points. Upgrades are increasingly difficult to get. When I was a child, no one travelled much out of car range. Incredibly expensive then even for people with a fair amount of money. Now the world is open for many more people. That's a good thing. Status though will take a hit as more options are available and money spent will be the determining factor.

We are not fans of the class segregation either, but it looks like Celebrity is heading more and more in that direction, with their exclusive lounges and dining rooms, and now even private deck areas that are off limits to the rest of their passengers.

From what we can see, they will be reducing even more of the public space to expand the areas exclusively for suite passengers.

This is not just a case of sour grapes.

Even when we stay in suites and are ourselves the recipients of such treatment, I dislike the way they do it.

I find Celebrity's "in your face" approach of flaunting their special treatment for suite passengers, blatantly taking us directly to the front of lines and pushing us ahead of other people who have patiently been waiting their turn in line, to be offensively crude and boorish behavior.

A while back, Celebrity even tried putting red carpets out at ports exclusively for suite passengers, but they were hardly ever used by anyone because they were such an embarrassment.

People just snickered and took photos of them.

Even at high class luxury resorts and restaurants that regularly give special treatment to their higher paying customers, it is usually done discretely, not by flaunting it in the faces of the customers who don't receive it.

We loved cruising with Celebrity in the past, back in the days when they used to treat all their passengers like celebrities and everyone was made to feel special.

We are not fans of the class segregation either, but it looks like Celebrity is heading more and more in that direction, with their exclusive lounges and dining rooms, and now even private deck areas that are off limits to the rest of their passengers.

:

snip

:

Even at high class luxury resorts and restaurants that regularly give special treatment to their higher paying customers, it is usually done discretely, not by flaunting it in the faces of the customers who don't receive it.

We loved cruising with Celebrity in the past, back in the days when they used to treat all their passengers like celebrities and everyone was made to feel special.

We've never cruised Celebrity before, but hubby and I are going on the Equinox in November and really looking forward to it. But we did just get off the Harmony of the Seas and saw a bit of that "in your face" perks for the "Suite class" folks. I didn't mind it because I knew they were paying for the privilege, but it does remind me of flying and the disparity between the 'cheap seats' (literally) and First Class. I'm not saying I want to pay the prices that Suite folks do, but it'd be nice to find a way to accomplish the perks of paying without, as you said, being so 'in your face'.

It'll be a long time before we can cruise more than once a year (ignoring this particular year for me) due to jobs, but I hope that cruising can keep being the fabulous vacation that I have found it to be since my first cruise waaaay back in 2013. ;)

We were on Royal about 8 months ago and at least on the cruise we were on Diamond Plus didn’t have access to the Concierge Lounge- lots of complaining in a standing room only Diamond Lounge. Friends of our who cruise Royal exclusively & are Diamond Plus had the same experience, no Concierge Lounge access on a cruise earlier this year.
My friends sailed on Anthem in March, so just under 5 months ago and they had access to the Conceirge Lounge with their Diamond Plus status. Not sure why some would get it and others wouldn't.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app