Insignia??

barbon2

Yes, they can. At least that's been my experience on all of the ships! We've most often been in PH cabins but we've been in standard veranda cabins as well, just not recently!

Just ask your room attendant.

Mura

Just back from the Riviera. We had adjoining cabins with friends, and asked for the balcony dividers to be opened.

We were first denied by the room attendant and was told to check with reception. Reception said that due to "safety and security" (whatever that means) the dividers could not be opened unless it was immediate family. Next cruise we will tell them we are brother and sisters..... :D

Just back from the Riviera. We had adjoining cabins with friends, and asked for the balcony dividers to be opened.

We were first denied by the room attendant and was told to check with reception. Reception said that due to "safety and security" (whatever that means) the dividers could not be opened unless it was immediate family. Next cruise we will tell them we are brother and sisters..... :D

Wow.

This is the first time I've heard of THAT rule! Why are family members safer than mere friends? If it's truly a safety issue then it should apply to everyone.

Not that I think it IS a safety issue ...

I can make a case, I think, for it being a matter of security ... if you aren't related you might be tempted to rob your neighbors, or worse ... but how likely is that to happen if you have requested that the doors be open? You already know these people ... Besides, I think the statistics are that you are more likely to be harmed by family than strangers ...

Mura

The only "safety" issue that I have read about on CC, and it was another line, was that sometimes, the stewards don't re-secure the divider's properly, and then when the ship encounters a major storm, the divider's may swing wildly or even come loose, and do some damage. But that is a result of carelessness. Not saying that is 'their' reason, but just something I have read about, on another CC board...

The dividers do open. They were doing maintenance on the veranda decks last cruise and just opening the dividers to go from deck to deck without entering each cabin.

That is not in the dispute - we all know that the dividers open for cleaning and maintenance.

The question is - will they open it on request for non-related people for “recreational” purposes and not just for maintenance or cleaning only.

Strange that safety is only for some. If it is unsafe, you would think that they would do the same thing for everyone. Why is ok to open for family not friends?

Maybe they have decided that it is not safe for anyone so will not be opening the dividers for pax

Time will tell

Strange that safety is only for some. If it is unsafe, you would think that they would do the same thing for everyone. Why is ok to open for family not friends?

I would imagine that "safety" in this case refers to safety from malfeasance and/or indiscretions of a sexual nature.