Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

28 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Now, this is just my opinion, but I think 1600 Pennsylvania Ave has done NOTHING......after Parkland I was hoping something would change.....Sandy Hook, Pulse, Las Vegas, Pittsburgh and now Thousand Oaks...…..is this who we are?:classic_sad: 

If you are a U.S. citizen, the answer is (sadly) -

Yes.

Jeff, if you read my posts again I think you will find that I agree with what you're saying. And I do.

I think some people feel safe(r) with a gun because it might help in certain situations, but that perspective doesn't take into account the larger picture. If half of the citizens of NY City decide to arm themselves for self-protection there would probably be far more firearm deaths, both accidental and intentional, than lives saved. I am pretty sure I alluded to this a few times in my earlier posts.

I also agree that mental health plays a role in these events but not all of it. I think it's bigger than mental illness. The general breakdown of civility, with too many people being too quick to get angry at each other, is a toxic combination when you add high rates of gun ownership to the mix. Like what you said, this too isn't getting better any time soon. There is absolutely no easy quick fix.

Edited by jpalbny

11 hours ago, Bill B said:

If you are a U.S. citizen, the answer is (sadly) -

Yes.

Yes, I am and yes, I agree, it is...…..more than sad......it is out of control and seems nobody walks to try and fix it. Not an easy task but something needs to be done.

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.......

Husband-Wife-Jokes-Curry-or-Soup-Funny-J

Unfortunately this funny hits close to home with my cooking.  Another reason why I am very happy that Myster has taken over the culinary.  🙂

Have a great day all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Sounds yummy either way, mysty.

Happy Friday to those who have the weekend off. Chris and I are both working the long weekend. And then the whole next week.

Oh well. It's ok, less than 2 months until the big birthday extravaganza in Patagonia!

I try to avoid the gun debate due to cultural norms. But with another mass gun attack so soon after I find it difficult because I am so sad and horrified again. In Australia we did it after the Port Arthur massacre but I accept that our gun restrictions would be too excessive for America. My question is though why they can't tighten up all the sales of guns, both at original purchase and resale? 

Julie

1 hour ago, Tothesunset said:

Americans with guns kill more Americans every 3 months than the 9/11 terrorists did. Or 4 times more every year. War on terror - good; war on guns - bad? I don't get it. 

I get it.  

Nothing was learned from the Vietnam tragedy with respect to the sanctity of truth, even when acquired retrospectively, from which presumably we should expect of ourselves that we might at least learn something useful.  If there had been some lessons, then where was the critical contemporary demand for justifying the invasion of Iraq when 9/11 was apparently conducted by Saudis?  And that has produced an exponential increase of  terrorism for us all.

But gun crime killing four times as many innocent Americans (every year and increasing) as 9/11  questions the constitutional right of Americans to inflict death and suffering on their own children in their schools, teenagers in schools and enjoying themselves in clubs. and each other in shops and on the streets. 

And who are we as foreigners to question the logic of that. 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

8 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I try to avoid the gun debate due to cultural norms. But with another mass gun attack so soon after I find it difficult because I am so sad and horrified again. In Australia we did it after the Port Arthur massacre but I accept that our gun restrictions would be too excessive for America. My question is though why they can't tighten up all the sales of guns, both at original purchase and resale? 

Julie

Hi Julie, how logical.....we have many folks who ask the same thing all the time......tighter back round checks on people who buy guns......the majority of the people agree with that logic.  Why doesn't it happen? It is called the money of the NRA and nobody (so far) has had the ----- to stand up to them. Who knows,

maybe now that the Democrats have the House, maybe, just maybe, they can do something......though

I won't hold my breath. 

Hi Mysty, lol that is good:classic_biggrin:...…..it is cloudy and about 64 degrees here.

I am having my morning coffee and need to go run errands.  Do you have Bed, Bath and Beyond up there? It is one of my favorite stores.   I have 3 coupons to use!   I have been trying to find the right pillow for a few years now...….I like the one I have but it is really old.  BB&B has a large pillow selection but I have never found one that works......maybe I will give it another try.

And I may go out for breakfast too.

Have a good day everyone.

Happy Birthday.  

There is only one thing better than a take-out sushi, and that is a delivered  sushi.  Have a very lovely birthday. 

A quiet few days down here in wet Seaside and around 1am we’ll head back to Hampshire, Helga willing.  A day when many of us think of the curse that leadership has led us to over the last 100 years or so.  Let us hope that somehow we contrive a more peaceful life for ourselves and our children, and theirs in future. All every normal person in the world wants is a peacful and secure life, to enjoy the experience with enough food and some warm shelter and if we can some fun.  And I think most of us want that for all of us and not just ourselves. 

You would have thought that with all our collective wisdom we could produce something as simple as that. 🙂

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks Jeff!  And yes, with all our collective wisdom and with enough compassion to extend beyond the limits of our homes and families, we should have been able to accomplish at least that.  And against all odds we must keep trying.

Safe travels home!

Happy Birthday Mysty! 

A day to remember for sure, for both reasons. Have we learned much?

Unfortunately as resources shrink and shift with climate change, we will have to figure out a way to keep everyone securely fed and watered. That, or much more conflict over water, food, etc.

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Mysty, nope.....I did not find one. I did get some other things but no pillow.

Kind of like what happens to us at Trader Joe's. Even if they don't have what we came for...they have lots of other stuff!

Finishing up some beef stew in the instant pot. Made chicken soup yesterday. Has been a productive weekend so far despite being on call.

Winterized the lawn sprinklers and fixed up some areas of the front walk yesterday. The latter is a pain. I have to pull up the pavers, and then cut the tree roots out from underneath, then recompress the base layer and replace the pavers. Lots of trees along the walkway so its it's a yearly task. At least I have an air compressor for the first job!

Today I put snow tires on one of the cars and left the other for tomorrow. After dinner we will clean the fish tank. Sounds like more work than I signed up for!