Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

J, those oysters look delicious and the wine looks perfect with it. Makes my mouth water!

We arrived home in Australia a week ago and I think we are over the jet lag. Still awake early but not 4am anymore. 

Our month in Venice was wonderful ( except for the aqua alta) and we will have such great memories. 

We finished our trip with a week in Bologna on a wine and food tour ( bluone.com) 

We were the only guests so had the guide to ourselves. We appreciate that they could have cancelled as their website states "minimum 4 people ". 

We ate and drank all the local food and wine and finished with A 2 Michelin starred restaurant.  Had a cooking class and made pasta ( no machine) which was great fun. 

Went truffle hunting and "only" found black ones. The truffle man and dog had some white ones and our guide bought some for our lunch at a local restaurant. Pasta butter and lots of white truffle grated over it. Delicious!

Now all only memories but very happy ones. 

This was my 70th Birthday trip but early to fit in with grandchildren’s school holidays. They came to Paris and Provence with us. Now we are home and my birthday is this week, so more celebrations coming up!

FD2C8CD3-B698-4D91-A831-FA2DAB367F2E.jpeg

• Like 1

Jilly, sounds like an amazing trip.:classic_smile: Welcome back.

Before I forget, I want to wish all my friends who celebrate, a Happy Thanksgiving.:classic_smile:  I probably won't be on here for the next few days.  My sis and bil moved to Mexico a couple of months ago and I am flying down to see them on Thursday morning and will be back Sunday night.  I am staying at the airport tomorrow night because my flight is EARLY and I don't want to drive to the airport at 4:30am....so much easier to stay at a hotel tomorrow night and the place has a deal where I can leave my car there and they shuttle you to and from the airport. 

Hope all of you have a great Turkey Day and for everyone else have a good weekend.:classic_smile:

Have a great trip, Lois! Love those park and fly deals at airport hotels. Used to do that a lot at JFK when we did early morning flights, but not so much any more.

We are off to my brother's place in Ithaca after work tomorrow. Traffic will be miserable I am sure. Then we will come home Thursday afternoon to work on Friday. Home for the weekend. 

Thanks M ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the wonderful fragrance of fresh bread in the nose of enthusuatic sniffer.  It is sad how much bread has taken such a disproportionate part of my attentions but these three are rustic and ugly but crunchily delicious. I am having it with some cheese and ham and some caramlised red onion chutney. And a glass of HOFBRÄU KALTENHAUSEN GANDOLF IPA from Salzburg via my  Torp ...

JP ..... looking forward to following your adventure.  Also six weeks to our Singapore adventure.  But also looking forward  to a quiet Christmas. 

C0D5F8A9-3D23-4CB6-993F-B797856C57A8.jpeg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I really wish we could "jaunt", DH will have to have spine surgery, can't schedule it until mid Jan, we have been paid on the Cloud, Antarctica for a year, now we have to cancel. We are w/in 61 days and luckily have insurance so will get all except insurance fees back. Still, that bucket list item is now poured out. We have a Uniworld tulips for April and he should be ok by then, and Regent for Greece next Sept, but was really looking forward to trying Silverseas, will have to start research  for later next year. 

silkismom, I am sorry to hear this too. Best of luck to your husband for the surgery and recovery. Maybe you can come join us on our January 2020 Cloud cruise! I think it's 1001, sailing Jan 04 2020. Or another voyage. Antarctica is worth the trip; this will be our second time there.

Lois, the Michaelangelo in NY is having a Black Friday sale on stays up until March 31 - I know you're a little later than that but you could always see if they would cut you a deal. We stayed there in 2014 and really liked it.

mysty, that looks like our pathetic effort at decorating. All of the neighbors have hired professionals to decorate their homes and their huge trees so I think we'll not bother this year. If we DIY it will look pathetic, and I suspect that the professionals are booked now. Maybe next year.

Got home about an hour ago after a lightning trip to Ithaca. We were able to get out of work by 3 yesterday and on the road by 3:30. That was early enough to miss the brunt of traffic exiting Albany so we go to my Brother's right around 7:30. Weather held for the most part though there was the occasional blowing snow and a bit of ice on the secondary roads near his house.

We stayed up far too late last night sipping wine and chatting with little brother and SIL. The 4 kids (ages 7-13) were too excited to sleep (of course) so they kept an eye on us. Finally got to bed around midnight, then up by 7 and we had to watch the kids for a few hours this morning while Brother and SIL did a 5-mile race. The kids were pretty wild and about wore us out. The youngest one is a handful. If we could only bottle that energy and sell it, we'd be rich!

Once their parents got home things calmed down a bit and we had some snacks then cooked a great dinner. We ate well and headed home about 4:30. We brought dessert with us so we could eat it later. Traffic was light and the drive took slightly less than 3 hours. We enjoyed our dessert with some wine, and we plan to get to bed early so that work tomorrow isn't too painful.

Not much planned for the weekend, and certainly no traveling! Hope everybody else's Thanksgiving was as much fun as ours was.

Edited by jpalbny