Gluten Free Windjammer Buffet Pic

Does anyone have a pic of what the gluten free section of windjammer serves?

On the Serenade of the Seas is the ONLY time I have seen a Gluten Free "section" in the Windjammer. It was only at breakfast ...and there were tons of breads & muffins, but everyone grabbed them & they were gone most mornings by the time I got there (signs were still in place). The chef said they make a certain amount each day & they were marked as GF...but no one reads the signs...they just take.

Some ships do not cater to the GF diet...but will MAKE you something GF if you ask. The Liberty of the seas was the worst I have seen...it was very hard to find anything that was marked as GF in the Windjammer..

If you have a need for gluten free, might be a good idea to notify the special needs department as well. Won't help with the buffet specifically, but at least they'll be aware of how many pax require it.

Just off of Oasis in mid-July, and the gluten free station had been eliminated. According to the chef that we talked to, there was too much cross-contamination occurring at that station. Finding anything gluten free in the WJ became somewhat of a scavenger hunt for my wife (and very frustrating).(n)

We were on the Jewel in March. We went to the grill and they could make pretty much anything for you. We thought this was safer than the standard pick-from-the-heap. They made my daughter a gluten free pizza. In full disclosure - she got sick from it, but not from contamination but under cooking. They were so jammed up from the embarkation rush, they didn't cook it long enough. She had taken 2 bites before we realized it.

Most of the menu items would have little signs that said "gluten free" on it. The risk of contamination is always real in the buffet with multiple spoons and people. It's not a risk we're willing to take since she has celiac disease, but it may be good enough if you are just avoid gluten for other reasons

This past May on Oasis we ate at Windjammer twice, and the chef came out and took our order & brought our kids Gluten Free cheeseburgers, fries and fresh strawberries. They seemed happy to prepare anything they could GF but there was no menu or anything like that. Incidentally those burgers looked much better than the ones I ate from the buffet....

Yeah GF the latest in food fashion....:rolleyes:

Or for a kid like my 5 year old with Celiac Disease, it’s an absolute necessity to avoid constant serious pain and illness. As a parent, I’d never choose the social exclusion of my kid not being able to eat like the other kids, or the lifetime of ignorant judgment that she will endure because of her autoimmune disease, but thankfully she can eat a cheeseburger that won’t make her extremely sick at the Windjammer...

While you may have a point, this food fad has been a God send for those suffering from celiac disease. This new trend of eating has given birth to more products being available in the supermarket as well as gluten free bakeries opening. I do understand how it would be a nightmare to offer gluten free at a buffet. Anyone with any type of food allergy should stay clear of it or at the very least request that a plate be made to your dietary needs.

It sure is! and it's great. I mean come on...why wouldn't EVERYONE want to be on this diet. It's fun to buy a loaf of bread for $10 while the ones laden with gut-wrenching-ingredients are a wee little 99 cents. Where do I find that fabulous eye roll icon???

When my daughter got diagnosed with Celiac Disease, there were very few options available. You could find everything on one end cap in a store. Now that people are doing it for "food fashion", we can actually find good choices for her at the store.

I don't think Gluten free is a fad diet. I've never met anyone doing Gluten Free to lose weight or save the environment. It's always been for health reasons and doctor recommended..... Strange comment about it being a fad.

I don't think Gluten free is a fad diet. I've never met anyone doing Gluten Free to lose weight or save the environment. It's always been for health reasons and doctor recommended..... Strange comment about it being a fad.

I have friends and relatives who jumped on that wagon when it pulled in. None of them have digestive issues or have even heard of celiac disease. My wife has managed a practice for a GI doctor. Many of the celiac patients have commented on how they have many more choices since attention has been given to gluten free diets, now that there is money to be made.

As a matter of fact we are going out to dinner with a couple who eat gluten free. They will bring their own bread and salad dressing. They will even order a drink with gluten free Vodka. My wife and I are low carb. We will order meat and green vegetable. Vodka is also low carb.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Iamcruzin

I hope you're kidding. There are medical conditions that require people to be gluten free. Celiac is one, as well as other auto-immune diseases and gluten-intolerance. Being gluten free is a pain in the behind, not some fun, new trend.

I hope you're kidding. There are medical conditions that require people to be gluten free. Celiac is one, as well as other auto-immune diseases and gluten-intolerance. Being gluten free is a pain in the behind, not some fun, new trend.

Studies show that over 90% of the people that get the recommendation from their doctor are misdiagnosed it is just an easy way out for the doctors to suggest something!

Same for Celiac – that thing is something that came into fashion the last few years and most people that think they have it ....do not – again over 90% are misdiagnosed as there is no harm in doing GF - but it is not the real cause of their problems!

Hope RCI starts charging extra for all the special diets soon – to keep the fares down for everybody else! (y)

A lot of people get gluten free and low carb mixed up. I have known plenty of people to say they’re GF when they really are just trying to not eat carbs, because they just don’t know better.

As for whether people with a disability should be charged an additional fee for their dietary needs to be met - wow. They should actually offer me a discount for my medically indicated diet because it cuts out about 70% of what is available.

Studies show that over 90% of the people that get the recommendation from their doctor are misdiagnosed it is just an easy way out for the doctors to suggest something!

Same for Celiac – that thing is something that came into fashion the last few years and most people that think they have it ....do not – again over 90% are misdiagnosed as there is no harm in doing GF - but it is not the real cause of their problems!

Hope RCI starts charging extra for all the special diets soon – to keep the fares down for everybody else! (y)

So you're saying 10% are correctly diagnosed, which kinda contradicts your statements?

Curious way of making a intentionally inflammatory point.

But hey, whatever gets you through your day. Have a good one!

What studies show that 90% of people are misdiagnosed, how do you even quantify that???

Regardless, for those that have a wheat allergy or celiac, it can be diagnosed with very specific tests. For those that are gluten free for other reasons, their doctors generally recommend they try going gluten free to see if it helps their symptoms, and if it does they continue, if it doesn't, they stop the diet. Why would anyone want such a restrictive diet if they don't have to???

food fashion--fad--

well let me see if i have gluten I am sick for days-once inadvertently had a teaspoon of soy sauce with gluten and was sick for a week. So no for some of us it is not fashion or fad--just health and common sense that you avoid foods that make you ill. For those of you lucky enough not to have food allergies wonderful but don't poke fun at those of us who are not as fortunate and have to watch what we eat. By the way the big bonus of eating gluten free is the privilege of paying double and triple for everything and lots of going without--which is a sacrifice not a fashion or fad!-- We can't help being allergic to gluten anymore than a diabetic can choose whether or not to be affected by sugar and carbs. I hope being rude and insensitive is a passing fad

I hope I never have to cruise with you,what a miserable person. I hope cruise lines charge extra just for you to go, Hendrik.

Proof of that or are you making up numbers to boost your little ego?

3 million Americans have Celiac Disease (Forbes Magazine). That's not fake. What's fake is you thinking you're edgy.