Summer 2020 on sale dates

molecrochip

What must the locals think. I wonder if they were consulted about in excess of 5,000 passengers plus crew descending on their little towns and villages?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Some of them will think It’s Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wouldnt think those that dont own businesses there will think its "Christmas" and even the shops with the majority of them only being small shops in a very small fjord village would be too happy due to overcrowding and not necessarily a great increase in sales because of high Norwegian costs.

I wouldnt think those that dont own businesses there will think its "Christmas" and even the shops with the majority of them only being small shops in a very small fjord village would be too happy due to overcrowding and not necessarily a great increase in sales because of high Norwegian costs.

Well the people of Hellesylt were very happy when we were there on Ventura hen we did not get into Geiranger.

I doubt there will be many residents of Geiranger who are not reliant on the tourist trade.

I doubt there will be many residents of Geiranger who are not reliant on the tourist trade.

Perhaps not but even the chance of over 5000 people in the village either shopping or going on coach excursions and returning would IMO be perhaps a bit too far for most people in such an idyllic village and would ruin the experience. It was bad enough walking around the village and looking in the church when we were on Azura.

Have to agree. It's all getting a bit out of hand.

I just looked at Cruisemapper for Geiranger and each day there seem to be 3 big ships in. That's next year. You can look at 2020, but Iona isn't mentiooned so perhaps they are not booked yet? http://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/geiranger-port-547?tab=schedule&month=2020-07#schedule

Try telling that to the residents of the small villages in Scotland. Many dread the arrival of the cruise ships.

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/shortcuts/2017/may/16/orkney-islands-invaders-first-vikings-now-cruis-ships

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you go on to this website - http://www.stranda-hamnevesen.no/webcamera - you will see how many ships are in each day in Geiranger and Hellesylt.

I've been looking every day (nearly) for over 2 years and Geiranger often has three ships in at a time - some of them well over 100,000 tons and carrying thousands of passengers eg. MSC Meraviglia 167,600 tons and carrying 5,714 passengers.

More and more ships are calling at Hellesylt as well, some overnight, including Arcadia and Aurora. We called there on Arcadia last July and stayed overnight. It's a lovely port and very welcoming.

When we were in Barcelona in June and waiting near the shuttle bus pick up, a Spanish lady came up to me and shouted and waved in my face ' Too many people, too many people'. It wasn't very nice.

I know Barcelona along with Venice, Madrid and Bergen are concerned about excess tourism.. wonder how the little Fjords towns really feel - but it could be their sole main income.