Finally!! Received an upsell offer

Cruise Raider

I think this is a very low cost upsell; $269/pp from obstructed OV to the extra large balcony for 10 days!

Yay! I think we did great ... especially when considering our OY cat was just above the wheelhouse bar. Not sure if that was such a great option. Our obstruction was slight but the noise may have been a factor.

I really didn’t know how these upsell worked ... I thought maybe just the cheapest category was offered but she let me choose a premium balcony at which point I shouted, yooohooo! I am really not a cruising newbie but she probably thought I was. She kept saying, I am so glad we could make you this happy.

Plus, I recently purchased 100 shares of CCL stock ... so that will be a welcome addition to my folio. No other perks other than the $25 loyalty credit. We are taking our own wine so the corkage fees should take care of that! I am super jazzed!

Thank you everyone! I really believe all the positive thoughts worked in my favor.

We usually sail in the obstructed OV rooms on Princess and always have a great time ... but it will be so nice to have a balcony, especially for Alaska. We will be celebrating our 26th anniversary onboard. The balcony is just the right thing to make it special! I think I will sneak a bottle of Schamsberg into my carry on (not hiding it from princess, but from my DH) and break it out on our actual anniversary. He will be so surprised!

You are not usually going to get an upsell for more than a couple of categories - if there are suites to fill they will usually offer them to people booked in mini's, once the are filled they will offer those empty mini's to balcony guests etc. The odds on getting an upsell from interior or OV to a full suite would be pretty rare. The last 2 years we have been offered upsells from mini's to full suites and the e-mail specified that they were being sent to mini suite passengers and what the price offer

We got an upsell from a premium view to a window suite. This was before club class and we had no idea of the perks, but really enjoyed the room. Enjoyed it so much, we've made it a point to stay in them frequently.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to just be on the ship!

Congrats on getting your upsell OP!

I really don’t undstand the folks who look down on and speak badly of “upsell” offers. If you don’t want it, don’t take it!! It’s obvious that a “free” upgrade would be better than a “paid” upgrade, but the choice is totally up to the cruiser. I’d rather have them make the offer to me than to sell the cabin, at an extremely discounted rate, to someone who is just booking the cruise. We recently took advantage of an upsell to a full aft suite, with a wrap around huge balcony, for our upcoming 14-day transatlantic in September. Yes, it cost a bit, but we were thrilled to be traveling in a full suite for our two week voyage ... and it was thousands less than if we had originally booked it!

Awesome. What a great upsell.

Well done Cruise Raider on the upsell. It'll be wonderful to have the balcony and lovely for your anniverary.

We are on board with you too in a Vista on D deck.

Looking forward to it - just need to get my head around what to pack - everything but the kitchen sink seems to be planned so far!

Thanks Katie!! I got it!!

She rep let me pick my cabin and I got a Caribe deck premium balcony, kind of midship!! How exciting is that??? I couldn't believe she let me pick out of the existing inventory. While it turned out to be almost an additional $600, I got the obstructed OV for dirt cheap when I first booked it. If I'd had gotten that good of a deal when first booking it, I would have jumped on the balcony cabin. So ... all is well now I've received my first ever upsell offer. I have to find a good TA that does pass these along. I sure do wish that Princess would just put a little notation on our cruise personalizer instead.

Anyway ... now I don't have to be glued to the phone today. Yipppppie!!

Congratulations! Enjoy your large balcony in beautiful Alaska.

After 9 Princess cruises, we've never received an upsell or upgrade offer. But I wonder if it's because we always get minisuites or full suites? I would think that the odds are better if a lower category is booked. Right?

I think so. Every one that I have been offered has been from a balcony to a mini,

Well done Cruise Raider on the upsell. It'll be wonderful to have the balcony and lovely for your anniverary.

We are on board with you too in a Vista on D deck.

Looking forward to it - just need to get my head around what to pack - everything but the kitchen sink seems to be planned so far!

Packing for Alaska is harder as you have to plan for the different kinds of weather. We packed in carry on luggage only on our last cruise. I can assure you we not be able to do that on this sailing. You’d think we’d have it down by now as we cruise up in Alaska at least every other year ... but we don’t! One day it will happen, though!

We will also have to meet up with you as well as Ellioooh ... our roll call is super quiet!

PS ... so happy for you that you got a suite. We had one on our last cruise for the first time ever. It really is awesome! I didn’t miss one day having breakfast in the Crown Grill.

Thanks Katie!! I got it!!

She rep let me pick my cabin and I got a Caribe deck premium balcony, kind of midship!! How exciting is that??? I couldn't believe she let me pick out of the existing inventory. While it turned out to be almost an additional $600, I got the obstructed OV for dirt cheap when I first booked it. If I'd had gotten that good of a deal when first booking it, I would have jumped on the balcony cabin. So ... all is well now I've received my first ever upsell offer. I have to find a good TA that does pass these along. I sure do wish that Princess would just put a little notation on our cruise personalizer instead.

Anyway ... now I don't have to be glued to the phone today. Yipppppie!!

Super happy for you, Lisa!!! Sounds like you got a very good deal too. I would have taken that too. We had two upsells for South America that weren’t even worth considering. Yay for you. What a great way to celebrate your anniversary and Alaskan cruise. Caribe balconies are da bomb !!! [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Super happy for you, Lisa!!! Sounds like you got a very good deal too. I would have taken that too. We had two upsells for South America that weren’t even worth considering. Yay for you. What a great way to celebrate your anniversary and Alaskan cruise. Caribe balconies are da bomb !!! [emoji8]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks again, Katie! The upsell was a pretty good deal ($269 pp) but when added to our original fare, it was a super deal. I was just so happy to actually get one. As you know, I've gotten one upgrade from Princess in the past and it was actually a good upgrade (inside to a barely obstructed OV cabin on the Crown) ... and it was free.

On Celebrity, we've gotten a few amazing upgrades but not until we were onboard. I thought Princess just forgot about us until I learned that is was the way I was booking it. I have to find a great travel agency that offers some extras, passes along the upsell / move over offers and doesn't have an additional cancellation fee. I know that is a lot to ask for but sounds like some people have found that right agency.

Anyhow, yes ... we are really going to enjoy that view. And of all the places where I think a balcony is most valuable, it is Alaska. :)

1st, CONGRATULATIONS!

2nd, When you are going to get a upsell offer, does it always come by email or do they also call your home number?

Thanks!!

This is the first and only time an upsell offer was forwarded to me. I got it via email. I opened it late on a Friday night (I received it on Friday around noon) but they are only there Monday - Friday so I left a message and received a phone call early on Monday morning from Princess. I wasn't leaving the house until I got that phone call. I take it they don't like playing phone tag and it is first come, first served, so I didn't want to miss that call back. This offer was 3 weeks prior to my sailing.

The one time I was offered a complimentary upgrade, I received a call on my cell phone before 7 AM. Anybody that knows me knows I hardly ever answer my cell phone ... it could be dead for a week before I even realize it. I just happened to have gotten to work and was putting my stuff down at my desk when I heard it ring. It wasn't listed as a Princess contact so may have even been the guy's private line. But, he offered us the upgrade and I was a little apprehensive but he knew all my info so went for it. I immediately checked under my cruise personalizer after a few minutes and it was updated. I think it was done by a phone call because it was such short notice ... just the day before the cruise on that one.