Whispering Around The World 2019

mysty

Last night a number of WC'ers (and some folks on several segments) were treated to a performance at the Sydney Opera House.  We were ferried from the ship to the venue while libations flowed.  Myster and I had never been inside the Opera House before and it was our first experience with opera.  The Opera House is spectacular and the performance of La Boheme is something we will remember!  Following the performance we were ferried back to the ship while, once again, libations flowed accompanied by lovely dessert options.  On arrival at the ship there was a wonderful buffet on offer in the Panorama Lounge.  It was a wonderful evening.  Silversea deserves kudos for the organization and execution of this event!

• Like 2

The sail out of Sydney last evening was lovely!  The weather was sunny and warm and the picture taking opportunities did not involve ducking rain drops.

DSC05667.JPG.b667df677c625139a901ca4505e0f218.JPG

DSC05670.JPG.4b2b5e2d2dbdeea35d1b0c904c877804.JPG

Goodbye Sydney!

DSC05677.JPG.314cba835a35392f9ec5f4fc83fdd3fe.JPG

At sea today on the way to Brisbane tomorrow.

• Like 3

A question I have long  wanted to ask; are there any solo sailers on the World  Cruise? My late husband and I went on many different segments of World cruises and always felt welcome. Our dream..maybe more my dream, was to take an entire World Cruise. What do experienced World Cruisers think? Would I feel comfortable sailing solo ..or.at least comfortable enough to feel open to the possibility? Many  of the officers and the crew know me and are so very kind but I have 

concerns that i’d be okay and happy during the day, but stressed by the new direction SS is taking in terms of dining choices..as in changing the MDR to smaller components. I’m not sure for how long the beloved Whisper will be the World Cruise ship. This feels more than a bit unsettling. Any straight advice? 

2 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

A question I have long  wanted to ask; are there any solo sailers on the World  Cruise? My late husband and I went on many different segments of World cruises and always felt welcome. Our dream..maybe more my dream, was to take an entire World Cruise. What do experienced World Cruisers think? Would I feel comfortable sailing solo ..or.at least comfortable enough to feel open to the possibility? Many  of the officers and the crew know me and are so very kind but I have 

concerns that i’d be okay and happy during the day, but stressed by the new direction SS is taking in terms of dining choices..as in changing the MDR to smaller components. I’m not sure for how long the beloved Whisper will be the World Cruise ship. This feels more than a bit unsettling. Any straight advice? 

I'm on my first World Cruise CruisinPashmina, so I am hardly as experienced as many but I'd make the following observations. First, Whisper is committed to the World Cruises in 2020 and 2021. Beyond that who can say? There is nothing to suggest she won't be the WC ship however.

In 2021 SS is introducing an Expedition WC as well as the "standard" one.  For 2021, they are currently taking waitlist bookings from 2019 and 2020 World cruisers on the Whisper and Cloud cruises. We have been told that prices will be out by the end of this month. It will progressively open then to previous Venetian Society members and the public.

My observation is that there a quite a few single cruisers in 2019. I'm totally guessing but I'd say in the 15-20 range.  As well there are two Gentlemen Hosts.  Clearly also there are other single cruisers travelling with a friend.  The atmosphere, as you would know, is very different on a WC from a regular cruise.  We have mixed in a lot more than we normally would and that has also involved single cruisers. All of the ones we know appear to be having a great time.  I think SS make an effort to make everyone welcome and there seem to be a lot of events for singles. So, in short, go for it and I'd be very confident it would be a great cruise for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinPashmina said:

Thanks Turtle!  I think there may be about 60 to 70 solo WC'ers on this go.  Not all of them participate in the get-togethers for solos.  Many are repeat WC'ers who have formed friendships over their travels.  I would definitely echo Turtle's take on their enjoyment of the experience.  I would also echo Turtle's encouragement to give it a try.

• Like 1

Hi Mysty, I haven't looked in here recently. The pictures are all lovely and sounds like things are going well:classic_smile:

Just read those last few posts about solo travelers. I would love to be able to do this cruise..maybe in 2021? That would be awesome:classic_biggrin:

A friend and I did two legs of the WC last year and we met a lot of people through the solo get togethers held every night in Panorama.  At the time, there were two gentlemen hosts but two more were getting on in Sydney.  We ate every dinner with the friends we made in the group.  

That's the one thing I love about SS.  They do cater to solos.  I've done other cruises solo on SS and always met other solos.

I would give it a try!

Cruising Pashmina - Last year there were a number of singles doing the whole world cruise and not all of them were women.  I think the youngest was a very adventurous woman in her 50's who was always doing independent shore excursions.  There were several other single women probably in their 60's and then many women "d'un certain age".  I think you would love doing the whole world cruise especially if you could have friends join you for portions of the trip.  There was one lady well over 90 who had a red walker.  Her family joined her for a segment and she did the remainder of the trip solo.

Brisbane today.  Weather was a little fickle.  Sun then rain then sun then more rain.  Picture from the sail in.....

DSC05682.JPG.464f8bf6ee39cb379bb302e6bdde7e8a.JPG

We did the ICONIC QUEENSLAND BREWS AND WINE tour.  It began with a drive around the city.  First stop was the XXXX Brewery for a tour and a tasting.....

DSC05693.JPG.c4121d9f21fd56cff6d85a8ba0088e9d.JPG

DSC05696.JPG.8f313fe82de91ff81aa9ff74c269d73b.JPG

We hit a viewpoint for a picture on the way to Sirromet winery.....

DSC05719.JPG.b7c827938148eca2b01101b53e033555.JPG

Sirromet winery for tasting.....

DSC05725.thumb.JPG.45616155013833aff57f78528bbca307.JPG

We got to choose which wine we enjoyed most.  We were served a glass of our choice along with a lovely platter of cheese, pate, crackers etc on the patio.....

DSC05728.JPG.d0824a95541b0586f5d218cc8bc2ec99.JPG

The platter above was for 2 people.  It was delicious!

Lovely day in Brisbane!  Tomorrow is a sea day.....

We did that same tour in Brisbane.  Our tasting at Sirromet was not good since they did not provide any food, not even crackers!  We were told we could buy pizza from their restaurant if we wanted to eat anything.  We complained to Silversea, and I guess it helped.

• Like 1

Yes, Emt!  That's why I posted the picture of the platter.  I think Silversea may have said something to Sirromet about the "no food " issue.  Only 8 folk on the excursion.  People following CC may have decided not to chance it.  Our tour guide was as surprised about the platter as we were.  She had brought her own crackers for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mysty said:

I think Silversea may have said something to Sirromet about the "no food " issue.  Only 8 folk on the excursion.  People following CC may have decided not to chance it. 

Going without food for a few hours can be scary. Especially on a world cruise...the withdrawal might be too much to contemplate! :classic_laugh: Silversea is certainly looking out for you.

Glad you are enjoying yourselves and I am always happy to see your next post!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Going without food for a few hours can be scary. Especially on a world cruise...the withdrawal might be too much to contemplate! :classic_laugh: Silversea is certainly looking out for you.

Glad you are enjoying yourselves and I am always happy to see your next post!

Thanks JP!  I think it was more a concern about alcohol-soaked passengers than a concern about potential starvation!  🙂

Case in point.....This morning there was a Champagne and Caviar Breakfast for the WC'ers.  IMHO...Silversea has upped their game!  It was very well done.

Starting with a glass of Metropole, with a yogurt and fruit offering, followed by caviar served a number of ways.  It was delicious!

DSC05729.thumb.JPG.5598bb3ab810300907ca1a1635f1a1ff.JPG

DSC05730.JPG.f1ea5a4b757b6415b2bd1273b613b571.JPG

Edited by mysty
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, tgh said:

Sirromet has a hard earned reputation for marketing extremely ordinary wine…..

3 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Totally agree.

We did taste a $120 bottle of a Signature Cab Sauv (I think it was) that was not too bad.  🙂  Was not listed on the wine tasting menu though.

Hi Mysty, the photos are fabulous!:classic_biggrin:.... I missed where you talked about the Opera House. I am not into Opera but would love to see it anyway! And I bet seeing something being performed there would be awesome.

Glad you are having such a good time!

Hi Michael, I think we chatted years and years ago.  Hope you are doing well.:classic_smile:

• Thanks 1