Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

4 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks for this - I’ve added it to the spreadsheet.

Is the issue instead about not having chip and pin capability on Azamara, rather than debit cards themselves?  e.g. UK debit cards have both (or at least mine does).

On the other hand, is it instead a user training issue?  Even a mag-stripe machine should be able to have the long card number + CVV code keyed in (just as you would if it were a telephone order).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fruitmachine said:

Is the issue instead about not having chip and pin capability on Azamara, rather than debit cards themselves?  e.g. UK debit cards have both (or at least mine does).

On the other hand, is it instead a user training issue?  Even a mag-stripe machine should be able to have the long card number + CVV code keyed in (just as you would if it were a telephone order).

Having experienced this I'd say very much the former, you have no means to enter a pin but that renders them basically useless on board. The mag stripe, which is what they used on my debit card, is more than likely going to get blocked without further verification.

I wasn't asked for the 3 digit code so either that isn't available or your point about training is correct. My hunch is the former because I did try and push this and queried why they were using so last decade tech (or even decade before that). But the only options offered were a) credit card b) cash from an ATM or c) call your bank. I even asked if I could do a bank transfer but they don't have the ability for this onboard either. You would have thought they'd allow me an online option to pay which of course should have worked- but not available.

1 minute ago, asnaleah said:

Well, that’s frustrating. I understand we cannot access our account from the television. So, does this also mean no menus on the T.V.? I read there is no app either.

There’s no app yet. Three of the ships have your account and the menu on the tv, I think. Onward definitely had our account. I believe Pursuit does not, though.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

Well, that’s frustrating. I understand we cannot access our account from the television. So, does this also mean no menus on the T.V.? I read there is no app either.

No account on TV on Pursuit as far as I am aware. I got my update from guest relations. Generally AZ are very weak at present on IT, albeit they have other compensatory strengths.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, federalexpress said:

Having experienced this I'd say very much the former, you have no means to enter a pin but that renders them basically useless on board. The mag stripe, which is what they used on my debit card, is more than likely going to get blocked without further verification.

I wasn't asked for the 3 digit code so either that isn't available or your point about training is correct. My hunch is the former because I did try and push this and queried why they were using so last decade tech (or even decade before that). But the only options offered were a) credit card b) cash from an ATM or c) call your bank. I even asked if I could do a bank transfer but they don't have the ability for this onboard either. You would have thought they'd allow me an online option to pay which of course should have worked- but not available.

Doesn't Azamara keep your card details on file for paying any settling of the bill like other cruise lines?

3 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Doesn't Azamara keep your card details on file for paying any settling of the bill like other cruise lines?

Yes, on cruise-by-cruise basis.

But that doesn't necessarily solve the lack of chip-and-pin processing of payments.

Also the ATM's (on Pursuit, at least) don't accept both Mastercard and Visa - but I cannot remember which of the two does work!

4 minutes ago, blag said:

Yes, on cruise-by-cruise basis.

But that doesn't necessarily solve the lack of chip-and-pin processing of payments.

Also the ATM's (on Pursuit, at least) don't accept both Mastercard and Visa - but I cannot remember which of the two does work!

I still don't understand the problem, I always use my Visa debits card details for cruises and chalk up purchases to my in board account, then it is automatically charged to the card.

Are you meaning if you want to withdraw USD for use ashore?

We are going to Norway so that won't be a problem.

9 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

I still don't understand the problem, I always use my Visa debits card details for cruises and chalk up purchases to my in board account, then it is automatically charged to the card.

I also have done so with both visa and MasterCard though I usually use a credit card.  

Edited by uktog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sallyandtex said:

For it to be automatically charged to the card, that transaction has to be authorised. In my case, that would have required me either to call my bank to say the charge is genuine or use chip and pin. The latter was not possible, at least not on Pursuit, they don't have a chip and pin machine.

Have you successfully used a debit card on Pursuit before? I suppose it is possible that a bank may not block every transaction subject to further verification, so it might work on occasion without chip and pin verification. It just didn't in my case and presumably might not in yours on some future occasion.

If this is your first time on Azamara, my advice would be to not assume your debit card will be accepted and have a credit card as back up. I'd be surprised if other cruise lines are not using rather more up to date IT than here on Pursuit so maybe no problems on those. Here, it's swipe the mag stripe then sign the tablet. Given banks don't even check signatures on debit card these days, that seemed rather old fashioned!

I believe credit cards are easier to have approved transactions without chip and pin because the money transfer is not immediate as with a debit card. My wife's credit card was accepted, no problem.

• Thanks 1

I think the issue more is it is becoming increasingly unusual for cards not to have chip and pin as Banks have agreed that to be the minimum level of security.  I realise that though I have used a debit card on Azamara (and I am sure I did on Pursuit) my card is enabled with chip and pin.  Indeed chip and pin is now not the preferred process for many UK banks who have additionally moved to multi factor identification where you have to approve the transaction via  second device or use authentication codes.  I was in person at the travel agents recently, a larger transaction and it needed me to authorise it via the banking app on my phone before the agent could conclude the transaction. Its no big deal for me, I would rather that to keep my money safer

Is it not possible to get a chip and pin card issued where your bank is based?

6 hours ago, uktog said:

I also have done so with both visa and MasterCard though I usually use a credit card.  

Then this is quite a riddle. Did you use a debit card to cover onboard costs recently? It is possible the banks have more recently routinely forced chip and pin authorisation, especially on larger amounts. So as of now, I'd still say, be wary of relying on debit cards on board give the absence of chip and pin machines onboard.

I noted in your later post that you have used a mobile banking app to authorise. That option wasn't suggested to me but it might work, however I don't carry a banking app on my mobile. I know there are multiple checks on its use but I instinctively have avoided sticking bank access on my mobile, since I have greater capacity to lose my mobile than my laptop, which generally stays in one place!

• Like 2

In a topic about the included drinks Combine noted that “ Always more than one of each type of wine. We had four reds offered in October, I believe similar with white. There’s  a sparkling and a Rose also in the included wines.” 
I’ve added this to the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE/edit

Edited by Grandma Cruising

18 hours ago, lisiamc said:

There’s no app yet. Three of the ships have your account and the menu on the tv, I think. Onward definitely had our account. I believe Pursuit does not, though.

onward has the account and a free QR code to see menus in he daily

• Like 1

11 hours ago, federalexpress said:

For it to be automatically charged to the card, that transaction has to be authorised. In my case, that would have required me either to call my bank to say the charge is genuine or use chip and pin. The latter was not possible, at least not on Pursuit, they don't have a chip and pin machine.

Have you successfully used a debit card on Pursuit before? I suppose it is possible that a bank may not block every transaction subject to further verification, so it might work on occasion without chip and pin verification. It just didn't in my case and presumably might not in yours on some future occasion.

If this is your first time on Azamara, my advice would be to not assume your debit card will be accepted and have a credit card as back up. I'd be surprised if other cruise lines are not using rather more up to date IT than here on Pursuit so maybe no problems on those. Here, it's swipe the mag stripe then sign the tablet. Given banks don't even check signatures on debit card these days, that seemed rather old fashioned!

I believe credit cards are easier to have approved transactions without chip and pin because the money transfer is not immediate as with a debit card. My wife's credit card was accepted, no problem.

Thanks I will take a credit card as a backup.

I usually advise my bank that I will be travelling, and when I"check in" on a cruise the debit Visa card number is stored, and I think they take a pending amount cleared in advance maybe.?

Seems Azamara are behind the times with the IT, hopefully they will have this sorted in the near future. 

If you have a credit card with no Foreign Transaction Fees, why wouldn't you bring that on your travels and use it whenever possible?  Even if that card doesn't give a rebate, you get a month's float on payment (and banks are once again paying some interest on deposits).  You also have more protections with a credit card.  I only use my debit card for ATMs – and by charging everything possible I rarely even need to do that.

• Like 9

On 2/5/2023 at 2:41 AM, federalexpress said:

albeit you can still get a steak of sorts in Aqualina (but not pasta in Prime C).

Actually, in my experience, since the two restaurants share the same galley, you can order anything from either menu in both specialty restaurants. Thus, from-time-to-time I enjoy the simple anguria and tomato from Aqualina (I start typing this and my predictive text always provides Aqualung!) in Prime C. Therefore, I'd guess that you could get pasta in Prime C.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

What are the lunch options on Pursuit? Any changes for port days? 

The MDR is mostly closed for lunch, so the buffet and the open deck grill are the only options. They opened the MDR for lunch only once during our Baltic cruise, before a noon - 1 pm arrival in Tallinn, which was highly appreciated.

We always thoroughly enjoy a long nice sit-down lunch and are not fans of Buffet food.  Being unable to have lunch in the dining room was one of the only downsides of the cruise. We did mention it on the questionnaire you get after a few days, and voila!... MDR was open before arrival in Tallinn.

I know this has become industry a cost-cutting standard over the last decades.  We secretly wished Azamara would be an exception.  However, we did put our Buffet dislike aside and to be honest Azamara does a really good job here. The waiter still serves wine and the food is quite nice. Not to be compared with the ghastly HAL experience we had before.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, asnaleah said:

We’ve found that the MDR is open for lunch on sea days, as well as the Windows Café and the Patio Grill. On port days it’s the Windows Café and the Patio Grill. The Patio Grill is open until late afternoon, so if you come back late from a port visit, you can still get something nice to eat. There are also light sandwiches in the Mosaic Café and the Living Room in the afternoon.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We love the Patio grill, both for lunch and for dinner. The Greek burgers are lovely at lunch-time and the night-time  menu, which is different from the lunch-time one and has some great dishes (eg lamb tournedos) plus a different special every night - Rio we’ve had are surf & turf and Frito misto.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We love the Patio grill, both for lunch and for dinner. The Greek burgers are lovely at lunch-time and the night-time  menu, which is different from the lunch-time one and has some great dishes (eg lamb tournedos) plus a different special every night - Rio we’ve had are surf & turf and Frito misto.

In my experience, the Patio has not always been open for dinner. I am really hoping that it will be on our upcoming cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

If all the stars are aligned this represents the best days offerings for food and drink available  or any combination  depending on sea days, white nights   Azamazing evenings or  weather. The main dining room is not open for lunch  on port  days but there are often brunch/lunches there on sea days.

C1A4DEAE-16DF-4639-BA1B-BE65A29FA40A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, blag said:

I am not sure that 'late afternoon' is correct. To me, late afternoon means, say, 4pm, and I have never seen Patio Grill open at that time on any of the ships. Plus, if a number of excursions return late, it can be difficult to get seated here.

I stand to be corrected, but I think that Windows closes 30 mins earlier than Patio, and on occasion we have returned from an excursion to find Windows service is finished, with Patio being the only dining option. I don't recall specific timings.

I may be mistaken, but I think I’ve eaten more than one very late lunch at the Patio Grill, at 3.30 or 4 pm. Maybe someone on board has a daily sheet with food hours?

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2