Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

On 8/16/2023 at 1:53 AM, Grandma Cruising said:

ghstudios, in a topic about wine onboard, noted that they found out on Onward that there were alcohol free white, red and rose wines aboard in the included wines, although they were not on any wine list or drinks programme. I’ll add that into the tips spreadsheet.

Thanks for putting this together.  We are new to Azamara and appreciate the information.   Linda 

On 2/4/2023 at 2:15 PM, federalexpress said:

I don't know whether it counts as a tip or not, but one thing I'd say for a newbie, who is not going to get any other discounts, is that the Indulgence package is worth a look if you are on a long cruise, even more so if you have OBC to spend.

I'm an a 17 night cruise and if I understand things correctly, I pay the same $1499 that someone on a 10 night cruise pays (correct me if I'm wrong). In my case I also got $1000 of OBC so the on cost to me was little more than £400 in my own currency. You get an awful lot for that, especially given it is 17 whole days, even factoring in the daft mark ups on the excursions and spa treatments.

Hi federalexpress,    So was the cost $1,499 for your Indulgence package on your 17 night cruise?   We are on a 25 night cruise in February 2025.  And if we can get the indulgence package for the $1,499 price that would be great. Linda 

4 hours ago, dccruisin said:

Hi federalexpress,    So was the cost $1,499 for your Indulgence package on your 17 night cruise?   We are on a 25 night cruise in February 2025.  And if we can get the indulgence package for the $1,499 price that would be great. Linda 

That’s the price however long your cruise is 

https://www.azamara.com/gb/booked-guests/onboard-packages#link-experiencemore

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dccruisin said:

Yes that is correct and it appears Grandma Cruising suggests it is the same even for a 25 night cruise. Given I already had $1000 in OBC, the extra $499 was a no brainer, given what you get. We made extensive use of the wi fi (which on our ship was Starlink and much better than we expected) and the drinks package, especially for the somewhat better wine offered. We were in a CC suite so got the premium restaurants anyway, but the chef's table, offered as an alternative was fab. The free laundry (I think 5 bags worth) was also great. The excursions and spa we used with the credit provided were heinously expensive for what they were, but not so bad if effectively free!

For 25 days it would be one of the few bargains you will find these days. It meant our bill was otherwise pretty much zero.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Hi Grandma Cruising,  Thanks for sending.  I had seen this on the site.  I just couldn't believe Azamara would charge the same price for 25 days as for 8.  Glad they are doing that.  Now to lock this in.  I went to our booking and only the essential package was listed and did not have a price.   I guess this whole website update has things messed up.  I guess I will have to call.   Linda 

5 hours ago, federalexpress said:

Yes that is correct and it appears Grandma Cruising suggests it is the same even for a 25 night cruise. Given I already had $1000 in OBC, the extra $499 was a no brainer, given what you get. We made extensive use of the wi fi (which on our ship was Starlink and much better than we expected) and the drinks package, especially for the somewhat better wine offered. We were in a CC suite so got the premium restaurants anyway, but the chef's table, offered as an alternative was fab. The free laundry (I think 5 bags worth) was also great. The excursions and spa we used with the credit provided were heinously expensive for what they were, but not so bad if effectively free!

For 25 days it would be one of the few bargains you will find these days. It meant our bill was otherwise pretty much zero.

Thanks for the info.   We are in a veranda so we don't have the other perks so this will be a real bargain for us.  And we have $900 OBC so we will use the OBC to purchase.   Linda 

1 hour ago, dccruisin said:

Hi Grandma Cruising,  Thanks for sending.  I had seen this on the site.  I just couldn't believe Azamara would charge the same price for 25 days as for 8.  Glad they are doing that.  Now to lock this in.  I went to our booking and only the essential package was listed and did not have a price.   I guess this whole website update has things messed up.  I guess I will have to call.   Linda 

I think callings safest anyway, but you may find you can’t use OBC to buy it beforehand.

6 hours ago, dccruisin said:

I can concur with Grandma Cruising that I could not (and I assume this is still the case) buy the Indulgence package until I got on board, unless I paid with my own money. Given. like you I wanted to use my OBC for the package, that meant I had to wait until getting onboard.

The only problem this causes is on excursions. There was one I wanted to use the excursion credit for, but supply was limited. The work around for this is apparently to book the excursion on your card before your cruise, then buy the package at Guest Services, then go along to the excursion desk to cancel your original excursion booking, then re-book with the excursion credit form your package. Most excursions can be cancelled with I think 48 hours notice and you should insist the money is refunded to your card.

I had an additional problem, the excursion I wanted to book wasn't cancellable. It was for a private driver and these don't tend to be cancellable for understandable reasons and are of course limited supply. I was told they tend to hold back a small number of these tours for those averse to online booking- catering for the older, non tech savvy. So we had a bit of a first hour to organise, my wife to the speciality restaurant booking table to book our reservations for those and the chef's table, me to Guest Services to book the package, then on to the Excursion desk to book the private driver, excursion and then up to the Spa to ensure my wife could make her spa booking with the package credit.

But it all worked. Then back to the cabin to sit on the veranda with a nice glass of vino to reward yourself. All good....

Edited by federalexpress

51 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

I can concur with Grandma Cruising that I could not (and I assume this is still the case) buy the Indulgence package until I got on board, unless I paid with my own money. Given. like you I wanted to use my OBC for the package, that meant I had to wait until getting onboard.

The only problem this causes is on excursions. There was one I wanted to use the excursion credit for, but supply was limited. The work around for this is apparently to book the excursion on your card before your cruise, then buy the package at Guest Services, then go along to the excursion desk to cancel your original excursion booking, then re-book with the excursion credit form your package. Most excursions can be cancelled with I think 48 hours notice and you should insist the money is refunded to your card.

I had an additional problem, the excursion I wanted to book wasn't cancellable. It was for a private driver and these don't tend to be cancellable for understandable reasons and are of course limited supply. I was told they tend to hold back a small number of these tours for those averse to online booking- catering for the older, non tech savvy. So we had a bit of a first hour to organise, my wife to the speciality restaurant booking table to book our reservations for those and the chef's table, me to Guest Services to book the package, then on to the Excursion desk to book the private driver, excursion and then up to the Spa to ensure my wife could make her spa booking with the package credit.

But it all worked. Then back to the cabin to sit on the veranda with a nice glass of vino to reward yourself. All good....

Sounds like you had well organized.  Good to know you can't book the package a head of time with OBC.  I want to lock the package in before Azamara changes their mind on the price.   We will probably have many excursions and some may be pretty expensive excursions.  I hope Azamara makes arrangements to see the Samba at the Rio Carnaval.  So that $900 might get eaten up pretty fast. We usually make our own excursion arrangements but many of the ports aren't high cruise tourist ports so probably be looking at the Azamara excursions.   Linda

8 hours ago, dccruisin said:

Sounds like you had well organized.  Good to know you can't book the package a head of time with OBC.  I want to lock the package in before Azamara changes their mind on the price.   We will probably have many excursions and some may be pretty expensive excursions.  I hope Azamara makes arrangements to see the Samba at the Rio Carnaval.  So that $900 might get eaten up pretty fast. We usually make our own excursion arrangements but many of the ports aren't high cruise tourist ports so probably be looking at the Azamara excursions.   Linda

Don’t forget if you buy the Indulgence package you get another $700 OBC. Azamara are already selling tickets to the Rio Carnival in 2024. I know because I (along with quite a few others) got an email from Azamara advertising them, even though I’m not on any South America cruises!

I didn’t look at the price, but they won’t be cheap!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Don’t forget if you buy the Indulgence package you get another $700 OBC. Azamara are already selling tickets to the Rio Carnival in 2024. I know because I (along with quite a few others) got an email from Azamara advertising them, even though I’m not on any South America cruises!

I didn’t look at the price, but they won’t be cheap!

Thanks Grandma for the info. 

If anyone happens to have the flyer for the 2024 Rio Carnaval tickets I would be interested in seeing, especially the prices.  I know even buying tickets directly from a dealer in Rio the tickets for 2024 are from $100 for the cheap seats to more than $600 a person for good seats.  So I can image the cruise excursion would be quite expensive. 

And we have 11 ports on this cruise.  We have been quite awhile to indulge in going to Rio for Carnaval. Panama goes nuts at Carnaval time, and we have been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans but Rio takes the cake. 

Linda 

Edited by dccruisin

10 hours ago, dccruisin said:

Thanks Grandma for the info. 

If anyone happens to have the flyer for the 2024 Rio Carnaval tickets I would be interested in seeing, especially the prices.  I know even buying tickets directly from a dealer in Rio the tickets for 2024 are from $100 for the cheap seats to more than $600 a person for good seats.  So I can image the cruise excursion would be quite expensive. 

And we have 11 ports on this cruise.  We have been quite awhile to indulge in going to Rio for Carnaval. Panama goes nuts at Carnaval time, and we have been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans but Rio takes the cake. 

Linda 

If you log into your account on Azamara, then click on upcoming cruises, then click on Manage my Reservation for the Rio cruise you should be able to see the excursion. Scroll down to excursions then look for the paper/pencil icon on the right. Click on it and the excursions for your cruise should come up.

11 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

If you log into your account on Azamara, then click on upcoming cruises, then click on Manage my Reservation for the Rio cruise you should be able to see the excursion. Scroll down to excursions then look for the paper/pencil icon on the right. Click on it and the excursions for your cruise should come up.

Is there away to download a pdf of all the excursions...like before?

13 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

I did that and so far there are no excursions posted.  The cruise isn't until Feb. 2025, 18 months away, so Azamara may not have lined up any excursions yet.  So if someone has the flyer for the Rio Carnaval excursion I would be interested in seeing it.   

Linda

4 minutes ago, dccruisin said:

I did that and so far there are no excursions posted.  The cruise isn't until Feb. 2025, 18 months away, so Azamara may not have lined up any excursions yet.  So if someone has the flyer for the Rio Carnaval excursion I would be interested in seeing it.   

Linda

You’re probably right, too early yet.

• 4 weeks later...

We have our second Azamara cruise coming up in a couple weeks or so. I thought that for the last one we received "documents" (can't remember what exactly, and maybe i'm not remembering this correctly) a few weeks before we sailed. Now we leave in two weeks and i haven't received a single communication from Azamara about our upcoming trip. Should I be expecting to get some communication from them at this point? 

The online system is showing everything is OK with the reservation including all the options we selected. But it seems odd that we would show up at check-in with nothing other than the confirmation we got way back when we booked over a year ago,

21 minutes ago, jwilcox said:

We have our second Azamara cruise coming up in a couple weeks or so. I thought that for the last one we received "documents" (can't remember what exactly, and maybe i'm not remembering this correctly) a few weeks before we sailed. Now we leave in two weeks and i haven't received a single communication from Azamara about our upcoming trip. Should I be expecting to get some communication from them at this point? 

The online system is showing everything is OK with the reservation including all the options we selected. But it seems odd that we would show up at check-in with nothing other than the confirmation we got way back when we booked over a year ago,

Is there an icon for online check in?  Our last trip was 2019, but I believe we printed a boarding pass and luggage tags.

For our last cruise in May we also did not have any documents.

I looked up at marinetraffic.com where in port the ship docked and we were there arround noon.

A porter took our bags and labled them with our cabin number. At check-in we showed our passports and got the curisecards. 

So easy! 

• Like 1

Online check in, boarding passes and printing luggage tags (unless you want to) is no longer necessary for Azamara. They now call it Easy Check In and the process is clear on the website and there’s a link to this page from your bookings on your account. So all you need now is your passport in hand.

https://www.azamara.com/gb/booked-guests/before-you-board/online-checkin

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Online check in, boarding passes and printing luggage tags (unless you want to) is no longer necessary for Azamara. They now call it Easy Check In and the process is clear on the website and there’s a link to this page from your bookings on your account. So all you need now is your passport in hand.

I like it!

29 minutes ago, Riocca said:

Thanks Riocca, I’ve added this to the spreadsheet and the very useful FAQ about how to enter your passport details on your Azamara account. Also worth mentioning that there is a good FAQ section on that page.

Edited by Grandma Cruising
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1