LIVE BLOG! From the EQUINOX - AUG 25th Sailing - CHICAGOPAUL

chicagopaul

In the MDR the menu shows which foods are gluten free, dairy free, etc. Do the menus in the specialty restaurants show that as well? That’s one thing that has kept us away from specially restaurants, as I have to eat gluten free.

Your blog has been fantastic! Even though we have been on Equinox I still look forward to everything you had to say. We sail on September 14 so looking forward to our first sailing with Captain Kate. Would love to be on one of your sailings one day! Safe travels back to Chicago!

Safe travels home and thanks for all of the fantastic info and pics. Looking forward to reading your full reviews and catching up on some of your videos. I mean to thank you for the one of your stateroom; I always try to do this as well as I know folks are eager to see what their stateroom (or one similar) will look like. We'll be in 1245 in November so a bit further back on the hump but am sure the room itself will be similar. Helpful to see how much storage there is, closet size, bathroom storage, etc.

Thanks again!

Amy

Hi PAul! I loved following along on your advanture... Thanks for sharing!

Did you hear anything specific on what the scheduled refurb (revoutionizing?) may include? Inquiring minds want to know ;)

Annette~

It seems like it includes a lot more than I thought. I don’t have any specifics but in talking with future cruises we were told we would see lots of big changes. It is one reason why we booked the Equinox again next November.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safe travels home today Paul and Edward! I enjoyed meeting you both and hope to cruise together again one day! I will send you martini bar pics when I get the digital copies post cruise :). Did you book your next one on board?

Danielle

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Danielle,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Jay (plus your little one!). I look forward to the pics! Yes, we booked a back to back on the Equinox for Nov of 2019.

As of now our next cruises are:

Nov 5, 2018 Reflection

Feb 24, 2018 Edge

Nov 2 & 9, 2019 Equinox.

We will likely throw in another in between Feb and Nov. keep us posted on what you book!

First sip of coffee, looking to see if you have posted, you have!!! Brings a tear to me eye your adventure is over already. Safe travels home, maybe you will run into the Points Guy again in the AMEX lounge.

Norma

Haha you remembered! I’m keeping an eye out for him.

Sipping on a couple drinks now while I type up more of my review.

ada4c8725a66f55322dca720e9ee5592.jpg

Well, we are back in Miami after a wonderful 9 night cruise. We are currently sitting in the Centurion Lounge waiting for our flight which does not board until 3:45pm. It is currently noon. I’ve started my day here with a Ketel One grapefruit juice but unfortunately there is no Taz working the bar, but there is a friendly bartender so I will deal.

Lets quickly talk about debarkation today and what we chose to do. We originally had luggage tag #3, which has you get off basically right away. We also thought about doing luggage valet. However, with the late flight and no want to spend time in Miami, we figured we’d book the late transfer through Celebrity to MIA. It turned out to be a very good thing given the weather today. The weather here is constant rain (not even slightly slowing up) so there would have been no point to spend time in Miami.

The luggage tags we were given was #77, which was a 9:20 meeting / departure time. Today, however, disembarkation was running very behind. Roughly an hour behind, at least as far as calling numbers was concerned. Now I know that you could technically just walk off whenever you want but since we had a transfer it really was not an option and I’d rather be sitting inside waiting than waiting on a bus. Also, with the late flight, why not sit comfortably on the ship? I think we ended up walking off the ship around 10am, so a 40 minute delay. After “checking out” of the ship there was Captain Kate shaking hands and she always does. She even told me she loved my Instagram account so that was a wonderful way to end the cruise!

We walked the distance over to the baggage which was arranged according to numbers with 77 being at the far end. After about a minute of looking around we found our bags and walked to passport control. We only had to wait a couple minutes for a free officer. He asked us if we bought anything which we of course said no. And we really didn’t. We just bought some cigars in Key West. We then went out of the terminal to the left where we found our bus to MIA. The bus only had a handful of people on it so I knew it was going to be a while before we actually drove off. The bus driver took a little while filling up luggage and getting people loaded on the bus. It was raining so he dropped us by the arrivals under ground and we just had to walk a bit to an elevator and we were in the American Airlines check in desk. Checking our bags was a breeze and the TSA pre check had zero waiting. Keep in mind this is extremely rare. There is always lines here at MIA, I guess its just a slow today.

Have a safe uneventful flight home Paul.

I see you are on the Edge next February. A shame as we will be on it for the 16 December inaugural cruise. Not sure Valentina's contract goes up to the time you board either!

All the best

Peter

Hi Paul from the UK

Loved your reviews,,,we are of on the Western Med in Oct on Eclipse.

One thing that's bugging me is,,,,is it an American thing to have a cheeseboard for a starter,here in the UK the cheeseboard is usually served and eaten after the meal with coffee or a glass of port.

A strong tasting cheese for starter would certainly put me off the rest of my meal.

JeanieC

Hi Paul from the UK

Loved your reviews,,,we are of on the Western Med in Oct on Eclipse.

One thing that's bugging me is,,,,is it an American thing to have a cheeseboard for a starter,here in the UK the cheeseboard is usually served and eaten after the meal with coffee or a glass of port.

A strong tasting cheese for starter would certainly put me off the rest of my meal.

JeanieC

Haha, well you will be glad to know that Murano traditionally serves the cheese after the meal. We request it as an appetizer. Personally, I find it the opposite, a strong cheese (which I love) is harder to eat after a full meal. To each their own I guess! But rest assured you will be in the majority by having it after your meal.

Enjoy the Western Med! We had some wonderful western med ports on our TA in April.

Have a safe uneventful flight home Paul.

I see you are on the Edge next February. A shame as we will be on it for the 16 December inaugural cruise. Not sure Valentina's contract goes up to the time you board either!

All the best

Peter

Thank you Peter! One of these days we will run into you on a cruise! I hope Valentina is excited for the Edge. I'm sure it will be a lot of work for her but definitely well worth it.

Danielle,

It was a pleasure meeting you and Jay (plus your little one!). I look forward to the pics! Yes, we booked a back to back on the Equinox for Nov of 2019.

As of now our next cruises are:

Nov 5, 2018 Reflection

Feb 24, 2018 Edge

Nov 2 & 9, 2019 Equinox.

We will likely throw in another in between Feb and Nov. keep us posted on what you book!

Looks like you'll be getting on Reflection as I'm getting off the TA on Reflection. I'm so excited about my first TA

Looks like you'll be getting on Reflection as I'm getting off the TA on Reflection. I'm so excited about my first TA

Fantastic! You will love it. We completed our third TA on the Reflection this past April. I had a blog then too with all of the Dailys etc. posted. It was a great time. Fantastic crew and ship. Enjoy!

Fantastic! You will love it. We completed our third TA on the Reflection this past April. I had a blog then too with all of the Dailys etc. posted. It was a great time. Fantastic crew and ship. Enjoy!

I loved following your blog last April. I felt like I was on the ship with you. Now that my trip is closer, I should go back and read your blog again :)

Really hope you are going to do a blog for your November Reflection sailing 🤞🏻

We are sailing on her for a 14 night cruise in December and I am mega excited and your blogs make everything come to life. Thank you for all the time that you put into them!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In the MDR the menu shows which foods are gluten free, dairy free, etc. Do the menus in the specialty restaurants show that as well? That’s one thing that has kept us away from specially restaurants, as I have to eat gluten free.

Your blog has been fantastic! Even though we have been on Equinox I still look forward to everything you had to say. We sail on September 14 so looking forward to our first sailing with Captain Kate. Would love to be on one of your sailings one day! Safe travels back to Chicago!

The menus in Luminae and specialty restaurants does not have gluten free notated. The waiter will be able to tell you if gluten free. I have to eat gluten free also and it would be much easier if they notated it.

Bonnue

Thanks so much for your wonderful review & especially for giving Taz our "hello" message & for the the pictures of him that you posted. Hoping to run into him again on another cruise.

Hope you made it home safely & will look forward to your review of Reflection. We sail on her nx March.

Many thanks, Paul, for devoting so much of your time to another fun and informative review. I just love opinionated reviews, so your's are always a hit with us.

I would like to know your thinking on additional tipping in specialty restaurants. I realize that none is required but I've been thinking that we probably overdue it. Also completely understand that more is sometime warranted and other times, not so much. Having said all that, with excellent but not over the top service what would you leave, if anything? This is, of course, apart from the sommelier. We will be on a T/A this fall and will probably have a multi-night package.

Again my thanks for the ride along.

Mary Anne

Love, love, love this review. Going on Equinox October 5th, and I thought I was excited before, but now forget it I am overly excited and wish time would go even faster then it seems to already be going. lol.

Great pics, this will be our first time on The Equinox and only second on Celebrity. There will be 14 of us.