Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sddsddean

Dubai question for Anne (Jayayeff)

Recommended Posts

Hi Anne,

 

I have read a lot of your advice but I need some help in deciding what to do in Dubai prior to our cruise. We are staying at the Four Points Sheraton on Sheikh Zayed Road. We arrive on the evening of April 24. We have a tour to Abu Dabi on the 25th. We have Friday to explore as well as some time the next day Saturday before we board the ship. We overnight in Dubai and depart at 3 pm April 28 a Sunday. I think Ramadan will be going on at this time so that may impact what we are able to do. We want to see the Dubai Mall(I hope this is the right one) and the souqs especially the gold and the textile ones. We thought we could see the souqs and Deira on Friday but did not know how the Muslim Holy Day would affect this. The Dubai Museum is open later on a Friday. Is this worth while to see? I also saw a Sheikh Mohamed Centre for Cultural Understanding. I need to see when this is open. I understand they have 90 minute tours. If you had to choose between the Dubai Museum and the Cultural Centre, which one would be better for understanding Dubai? We will be seeing the mosque in Abu Dabi so is it essential to try to see the Jumeirah Mosque? If I understand correctly we could only see this from 10 to 11:15 am on Saturday. Lastly, when is best for seeing the Mall? Would two hours be enough time the day the ship departs? Or should we try later on Friday? Seeing the Burj Khalifa can be done anytime from the outside. Going inside is quite pricey--not sure if that is worth it.

 

I apologize for the lengthy post but I cannot figure out logistics of getting to these places. I know time of day, traffic, all enters into the plan. Is the best way  taxi to get around? I don't want to miss getting back to the ship.

 

We are so looking forward to seeing Dubai. Thank you for any insight you have in our plans.

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

Hi Anne,

 

I have read a lot of your advice but I need some help in deciding what to do in Dubai prior to our cruise. We are staying at the Four Points Sheraton on Sheikh Zayed Road. We arrive on the evening of April 24. We have a tour to Abu Dabi on the 25th. We have Friday to explore as well as some time the next day Saturday before we board the ship. We overnight in Dubai and depart at 3 pm April 28 a Sunday. I think Ramadan will be going on at this time so that may impact what we are able to do. We want to see the Dubai Mall(I hope this is the right one) and the souqs especially the gold and the textile ones. We thought we could see the souqs and Deira on Friday but did not know how the Muslim Holy Day would affect this. The Dubai Museum is open later on a Friday. Is this worth while to see? I also saw a Sheikh Mohamed Centre for Cultural Understanding. I need to see when this is open. I understand they have 90 minute tours. If you had to choose between the Dubai Museum and the Cultural Centre, which one would be better for understanding Dubai? We will be seeing the mosque in Abu Dabi so is it essential to try to see the Jumeirah Mosque? If I understand correctly we could only see this from 10 to 11:15 am on Saturday. Lastly, when is best for seeing the Mall? Would two hours be enough time the day the ship departs? Or should we try later on Friday? Seeing the Burj Khalifa can be done anytime from the outside. Going inside is quite pricey--not sure if that is worth it.

 

I apologize for the lengthy post but I cannot figure out logistics of getting to these places. I know time of day, traffic, all enters into the plan. Is the best way  taxi to get around? I don't want to miss getting back to the ship.

 

We are so looking forward to seeing Dubai. Thank you for any insight you have in our plans.

 

Patty

 

Patty,

 

First off, you can forget about Ramadan having any effect on your visit as the provisional start date is not until 4th/5th May.

 

If you are taking the full tour of the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi then you can skip Jumeirah Mosque as you will get a good cultural understanding from that tour.   If you are not actually taking the guided tour of the mosque the the Saturday Cultural Understand tour offered in Jumeirah would be a good choice.    I haven’t been around Dubau Museum for several years but the area of Dubai where it is located is always good to explore as that is the old part of the city, and it is very close to the textile suoq.  From there you can also take an abra (small water taxi) across the Creek to the Spice Souq and the Gold Souq plus you get to see all the other watercraft that still use the Creek as a working waterway... However, as you note Friday is the religious day so much of the Heritage area (the area beside the Creek) may not be fully operational until after Friday prayers (12.30’ish)...  

 

The malls are probably a good choice for Friday as they still open normal hours.  Dubai Mall is huge so two hours may not be enough time to get around, especially if you are using the Metro to get there as the walk (covered airconditioned walkway) from the Metro station into the Mall takes a good 20 minutes!!  The Dubai Fountains performances start at 2.00 in the afternoon on Fridays and there are good views of the Burj Khalifa from the area around the fountains.  Dubai Opera is also in this same area...   Otherwise Friday is a good day for the HoHo bus tours as traffic is lighter on Fridays and taking a full tour gives you a good overview so you can pick out any places you’d like to go back to....

 

Anne..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Anne. You have been most helpful.

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:02 AM, Pearl64 said:

Thank you, Anne. You have been most helpful.

 

Patty

Hi Anne,

I have been following and enjoying your insider info on Dubai. We will be in Dubai for a cruise leaving on Dec. 7, 2019.  Can you recommend a hotel near On our last visit we stayed at the Hilton Dubai Creek (loved it) but would like to stay on the other side of the creek this time.

 

Iris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, irisbax3 said:

Hi Anne,

I have been following and enjoying your insider info on Dubai. We will be in Dubai for a cruise leaving on Dec. 7, 2019.  Can you recommend a hotel near On our last visit we stayed at the Hilton Dubai Creek (loved it) but would like to stay on the other side of the creek this time.

 

Iris

Sorry about the omission--I meant to say near the port or near the Heritage Village.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2019 at 5:13 AM, irisbax3 said:

Hi Anne,

I have been following and enjoying your insider info on Dubai. We will be in Dubai for a cruise leaving on Dec. 7, 2019.  Can you recommend a hotel near On our last visit we stayed at the Hilton Dubai Creek (loved it) but would like to stay on the other side of the creek this time.

 

Iris

 

Iris,

 

in the past the recommendation for a hotel within the old part of Dubai has been the Arabian Courtyard Hotel, which is close to Dubai Museum in Al Fahidi St. and has lots of reviews on Tripadvisor.   However, within the past few months two new hotels have opened in the Al Seef heritage development which stretches from the Rulers Court complex all along the Creekside across the street from several of the Consulates and Embassies.   They both belong to the Jumeirah hotels group, one is a multi-story hotel in their four star rating collection, the Zabeel House MINI Al Seef and is located across the Creek from the Hilton you stayed in previously.  I haven’t been in it but it looks very much like the Aloft Hotels and offers several bars and restaurants some overlooking the Creek or the City.  The other one is incorporated within the Al Seef Heritage Village which stretches all the way along the Creekside and is in the style of traditional bayts (houses) within a souk.  The Al Seef by Jumeirah Hotel has rooms are within approx 20 bayts that are linked together by alleyways filled with small shops, coffee shops, restaurants etc. to replicate Old Dubai prior to it becoming a modern city.  However, it is purpose built it isn’t a restoration project.   The ‘hotel’ has no bars and 83A486B7-C55F-423E-82A5-4428B8B8DAA7.thumb.jpeg.f6bd4547ba688c300589cf8f07b1127d.jpegone restaurant in Bayt 8 that serves breakfast and a very limited dinner menu, so depending which bayt your room is in it could be quite a distance away but they do have a fleet of golf buggies for transporting guests around the ‘village’.     The bayts replicate old windtower houses and are furnished in traditional style with antique looking furnishings, fixtures and fittings.   This one I have visited and stayed in overnight a few weeks ago so here are some of my photos....

 

Anne..

 

 

7B37C946-346F-4490-89AD-E9E5EA58719F.jpeg

21FF04C3-A90F-434B-9E6B-665D70225756.jpeg

559FEEDA-6327-42E6-BCF9-28791900FC24.jpeg

7F1A3DCF-BDF0-457C-8DAA-00E0D8372DE5.jpeg

6E5D2C92-CA25-40EA-99C9-9758ED1474BB.jpeg

DC7622AD-3F53-49F9-95B4-8D2CC8137447.jpeg

0E689C54-B48B-4048-A1F4-CC13E31DE32E.jpeg

Edited by Jayayeff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anna, thanks so much for your response and suggestions. I will definitely check these out. The pictures are wonderful and has sparked my interest.  I truly appreciate your insightful information. Blessings!

Iris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne,

Advice is so helpful! Could you recommend a guide that would pick us up at the port, give a city tour then drop us off at The Fairmont?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, smj said:

Anne,

Advice is so helpful! Could you recommend a guide that would pick us up at the port, give a city tour then drop us off at The Fairmont?

 

 

I’m sorry I don’t but several private tour guides and/or operators have been recommended on this board before.  Tripadvisor also has several private tour operators listed along with recent reviews which should be helpful...

 

Anne..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am trying to finalize our time in Dubai. Is there a BigBus stop close to the port and can one walk there? Do the tickets start when you first use them and the time on them moves forward from that time? Concerning the Night Tour, it is included in the 48 hour pass, correct? Does one need to line up way ahead of time as I read there are only a certain number of spots are available. I’ve been told there is a 20 AED surcharge on taxi pickup at the port. Does this also apply going to the port? What would the approximate taxi fare from Dubai International airport to 4 points on Sheik Zayed Road? From hotel to the port? What is the tipping policy in Dubai?

 

Thank you so much as you have been extremely helpful.

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can help a bit with Big Bus, as we were there in December. We got the Deluxe 5 day ticket, but as  you say, the night tour is included in the Premium (2 day) ticket. We intended to do the night tour, but never got round to it!, so I can't help with queues. If you buy your ticket online, the time will start from when you redeem your voucher with one of the staff at the any of the stops, so if you got your actual ticket from the staff at 11am Tuesday, it would be valid until 11am Thursday. I'm trying to work out why you want to walk to a stop near the port. Can you explain? We embarked in Abu Dhabi and our first port was Dubai. As we had been there for 6 days, we just 'chilled' on the ship. However, there were both Big Bus and City Sightseeing buses at the terminal, though I don't know what they did. I assume they just ran a shuttle to the main 'exchange' stop at Dubai mall, but I could be wrong. It would be a fair way off the red route to drop into the port.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, Simon.

 

The reason I asked if there was a stop near the port we could walk to is this. We have an overnight in Dubai so we are thinking of dropping off our luggage, checking in, and then going back out to explore. The next day we have the morning until about 1 pm to explore. If we need to get a taxi to get to the Bigbus, we might as well not do the BigBus and just use taxis. I am trying to make the most of our time and money. I hope this sheds some light to your question.

 

Patty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I understand. As I said, Big Bus does pick up at the port when a ship is in, but I don’t know where it goes. Perhaps you could try e mailing them. However, taxis are really cheap, so if you have specific places you want to see, they might be better. All the RTA taxis are metered. They are sand coloured with different coloured roofs (to denote the different companies) but they all charge the same. Don’t know about the port surcharge, but there were loads (like about 100) taxis waiting by the ship when we were in Dubai.

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding taxis at the cruise port: there is a surcharge. My examples here are from Abu Dhabi, which I remember best from our March cruise, but I am pretty sure that Dubai is the same.   When you step into a taxi at the cruise port, the meter reads 25.  When you start with a taxi outside the cruise port area, it starts at 5 dirhams.  There is a minimum taxi fare of 12 dirhams for any trip.  Note that 25 dirhams is about $US 6.81. You cannot walk around in the Dubai cruise port, some sort of transport is necessary. Also note that there are choices of taxi sizes.  If you choose a larger taxi (for more passengers) the minimum charge is a little higher.

 

Also, yes, the Big Bus is at both cruise ports and the tours started from there.  In addition, in Abu Dhabi, the Big Bus was used to free shuttle passengers to a mall when the ship docked on our last afternoon.  You could then continue on a Big Bus for an overall city tour.  Of course, any of this could change:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

I am trying to finalize our time in Dubai. Is there a BigBus stop close to the port and can one walk there? Do the tickets start when you first use them and the time on them moves forward from that time? Concerning the Night Tour, it is included in the 48 hour pass, correct? Does one need to line up way ahead of time as I read there are only a certain number of spots are available. I’ve been told there is a 20 AED surcharge on taxi pickup at the port. Does this also apply going to the port? What would the approximate taxi fare from Dubai International airport to 4 points on Sheik Zayed Road? From hotel to the port? What is the tipping policy in Dubai?

 

Thank you so much as you have been extremely helpful.

 

Patty

 

Patty,

 

I think previous visitors/cruisers to Dubai have replied to your HoHo bus questions.  With regard to taxis the 'surcharge' is only applicable to pick-up from either Dubai International Airport or Dubai Cruise Terminal.  Taking a taxi from your hotel to either of those would not be subject to the Dhs.20 surcharge.  Depending upon time of day and traffic the fare from the airport (DXB) to the 4 Points Sheraton would be approx. Dhs. 60 - Dhs. 70...

 

Anne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your information on this forum.

I am an experienced solo traveler arriving in Dubai prior to a cruise.  Have not visited the Middle East prior, but a tour to Egypt and a visit in Istanbul. I typically do DIY travel and looking for somethings a little different. The cruise embarks Saturday and sails Sunday night giving me tourist time these dates.  My plan is to arrive late Thursday night for an extra day.

I am looking for an area or two to consider for hotel location.

I would like a recommendation of an area I should focus hotel search on for next year (April) that is convenient to ship and places of interest. Generally a budget traveler, but looking for a little more luxury accommodation on this trip. Budget to 800 AED per night and prefer a  view. I do like the thought of a high floor with scraper views.

Over the 3 days I expect to visit: the Frame, Glow Garden, Miracle Garden, Ras al Kor Sanctuary (I am a bird watcher), and take a trip or 2 on the abras. I don't do much shopping, but the textile souk could be interesting.

I note there is a women's museum that sounds interesting. Is there one outstanding heritage or history museum to add to this list?

Just for something different, is Sharjah an alternative location for my pre-cruise stay?

I would appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2018 at 8:46 PM, breezyb45 said:

I have another question about touring in Dubai. My ship arrives in Dubai at 9:00 and I am to fly out at midnight. I do have a tour with Princess (Hop ON/Hop Off for 3 hrs) Is there something else I could do in the remaining time? I am a solo traveler and so I am very careful what I am doing. Also where can I store my luggage? Just wondering if you could help?

Kathy

Unfortunately there isn’t any left luggage facility at the cruise terminal but there is at both terminals (1 and 3) at Dubai airport

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For mef_57....we were just in Dubai in March. It is well lit, safe, easy to maneuver. The airport is so close to town you could drop your luggage and come back in pretty easily. We used public transportation, the metro is immaculate. But a taxi would probably be your quickest in your limited half day. You could sightsee till 9 or 9:30 PM and then go to airport. You say you’re not much for shopping, but Dubai Mall or Mall of the Emirates world be open and is great for people watching, checking out the indoor aquarium or ski area, depending on which mall. Or a trip to top of Burj Al Khalifa, then on to airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Magar said:

For mef_57....we were just in Dubai in March. It is well lit, safe, easy to maneuver. The airport is so close to town you could drop your luggage and come back in pretty easily. We used public transportation, the metro is immaculate. But a taxi would probably be your quickest in your limited half day. You could sightsee till 9 or 9:30 PM and then go to airport. You say you’re not much for shopping, but Dubai Mall or Mall of the Emirates world be open and is great for people watching, checking out the indoor aquarium or ski area, depending on which mall. Or a trip to top of Burj Al Khalifa, then on to airport. 

Thanks Magar, but I have 3 days in Dubai. The post above you quoted someone from October who needed half day and lste sctiviry advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anne, we will be arriving by cruise ship 3/18/20 and leaving the ship.   We have planned 4 nights post cruise in Dubai.  We have chosen to stay on the Palm at the Jemeirah Zabeel Saray.   We got an fantastic rate for this hotel.  Do you have any info on this hotel?  We know it is the farthest away on the end of the palm.  From what I read in the reviews for the hotel, they offer a free shuttle to the Emirates Mall, and thought we could take advantage of this for 1 day.  The hotel also offers a free day at the Wadi World water park, with free transportation.   Not sure if we will take advantage of this or not.   We will be in Abu Dhabi for 1 day on 3/17/20, and thinking we would take a desert safari tour here rather than from Dubai, as others have mentioned, is better from Abu Dhabi, rather than Dubai.

 

The morning we leave the ship, we plan to go to the Jemeirah Zabeel Saray hotel, store our luggage, and rest at the pool for most of the day.   On day 2, we 'may' go to the water park, OR take the transportation to the Emirates Mall.  We want to stop by the Burj Khalifa and go to the coffee shop at Atmosphere, just a few floors below the viewing deck.

 

Also would love to see the Dubai fountains. Thanks for all your great information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2019 at 6:48 AM, debshomespun said:

Anne, we will be arriving by cruise ship 3/18/20 and leaving the ship.   We have planned 4 nights post cruise in Dubai.  We have chosen to stay on the Palm at the Jemeirah Zabeel Saray.   We got an fantastic rate for this hotel.  Do you have any info on this hotel?  We know it is the farthest away on the end of the palm.  From what I read in the reviews for the hotel, they offer a free shuttle to the Emirates Mall, and thought we could take advantage of this for 1 day.  The hotel also offers a free day at the Wadi World water park, with free transportation.   Not sure if we will take advantage of this or not.   We will be in Abu Dhabi for 1 day on 3/17/20, and thinking we would take a desert safari tour here rather than from Dubai, as others have mentioned, is better from Abu Dhabi, rather than Dubai.

 

The morning we leave the ship, we plan to go to the Jemeirah Zabeel Saray hotel, store our luggage, and rest at the pool for most of the day.   On day 2, we 'may' go to the water park, OR take the transportation to the Emirates Mall.  We want to stop by the Burj Khalifa and go to the coffee shop at Atmosphere, just a few floors below the viewing deck.

 

Also would love to see the Dubai fountains. Thanks for all your great information.

 

The Jumeirah Zabeel Saray hotel is very nice, as are all the Jumeirah Group properties.  It is as you note at the far end of the Palm Jumeirah so not close to either New or Old Dubai.  There is a monorail that links the Palm to the mainland and once on the mainland it then links with the Dubai Tram which gives you access to the Dubai Marina area.  If they provide a shuttle to the Mall of the Emirates then you have easy access to Dubai Metro from there.  The Wild Wadi Waterpark is also part of the Jumeirah Group and even if you didn’t want to go to the park you could use the transport as Wild Wadi is right beside the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj Al Arab and the Madinat Jumeirah which is also a pick-up/drop off point for the hoho buses.

 

With regard to your visit to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa/Dubai Fountains - the mall is huge and there is lots to see in there apart from stores!!   Atmosphere is not a coffee shop, it is a restaurant and lounge (bar) on the 122nd floor and I whilst you can go for coffee in the mornings (Coffee in the Clouds) or Afternoon Tea later in the day I believe you need reservations and can’t just stop by.... The Dubai Fountains only ‘perform’ twice during the daytime (1.00 & 1.30 Sat to Thurs, and 1.30 & 2.00 on Fridays) all other performances are in the evening - every 30 minutes starting from 6.00pm so you need to time your visits to suit.  I would also recommend you spend a day in ‘old’ Dubai and visit the Heritage Area along the Creek, take an abra across the Creek to the Spice Souq or venture further down the Creek to the newly restored Jadaf Waterfront area where there is an arts centre and the soon to be opened Sh. Mohammed Bin Rashid Library.   

 

I can’t really help with the desert safari but have heard they are less ‘busy’ in Abu Dhabi than the Dubai ones.  However, if you only have one day in Abu Dhabi there are lots of other places you could visit, the Louvre, the Grand Mosque the Presidential Palace, etc. 

 

Anne..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jayayeff said:

 

The Jumeirah Zabeel Saray hotel is very nice, as are all the Jumeirah Group properties.  It is as you note at the far end of the Palm Jumeirah so not close to either New or Old Dubai.  There is a monorail that links the Palm to the mainland and once on the mainland it then links with the Dubai Tram which gives you access to the Dubai Marina area.  If they provide a shuttle to the Mall of the Emirates then you have easy access to Dubai Metro from there.  The Wild Wadi Waterpark is also part of the Jumeirah Group and even if you didn’t want to go to the park you could use the transport as Wild Wadi is right beside the Jumeirah Beach Hotel, Burj Al Arab and the Madinat Jumeirah which is also a pick-up/drop off point for the hoho buses.

 

With regard to your visit to Dubai Mall/Burj Khalifa/Dubai Fountains - the mall is huge and there is lots to see in there apart from stores!!   Atmosphere is not a coffee shop, it is a restaurant and lounge (bar) on the 122nd floor and I whilst you can go for coffee in the mornings (Coffee in the Clouds) or Afternoon Tea later in the day I believe you need reservations and can’t just stop by.... The Dubai Fountains only ‘perform’ twice during the daytime (1.00 & 1.30 Sat to Thurs, and 1.30 & 2.00 on Fridays) all other performances are in the evening - every 30 minutes starting from 6.00pm so you need to time your visits to suit.  I would also recommend you spend a day in ‘old’ Dubai and visit the Heritage Area along the Creek, take an abra across the Creek to the Spice Souq or venture further down the Creek to the newly restored Jadaf Waterfront area where there is an arts centre and the soon to be opened Sh. Mohammed Bin Rashid Library.   

 

I can’t really help with the desert safari but have heard they are less ‘busy’ in Abu Dhabi than the Dubai ones.  However, if you only have one day in Abu Dhabi there are lots of other places you could visit, the Louvre, the Grand Mosque the Presidential Palace, etc. 

 

Anne..

 

Anne

Thank you so much. I can plan out our days better now with this information. 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do have a free shuttle to Mall of Emirates, apart from being able to connect to metro, both of the HOHO buses (Big Bus and City Sightseeing) use it as a transfer point between two of their routes, so that might be a good way to get an overview of the city. We did the Big Bus, which has 3 routes, and you can cover them all in  a day, but obviously might need longer if you you want to hop off! As you are there in March, can I also recommend the Miracle Gardens (our favourite place in Dubai). You can get the 105 shuttle bus from the bus station at the Mall of Emirates for 5AED (payable with a NOL card).

 

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, mef_57 said:

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your information on this forum.

I am an experienced solo traveler arriving in Dubai prior to a cruise.  Have not visited the Middle East prior, but a tour to Egypt and a visit in Istanbul. I typically do DIY travel and looking for somethings a little different. The cruise embarks Saturday and sails Sunday night giving me tourist time these dates.  My plan is to arrive late Thursday night for an extra day.

I am looking for an area or two to consider for hotel location.

I would like a recommendation of an area I should focus hotel search on for next year (April) that is convenient to ship and places of interest. Generally a budget traveler, but looking for a little more luxury accommodation on this trip. Budget to 800 AED per night and prefer a  view. I do like the thought of a high floor with scraper views.

Over the 3 days I expect to visit: the Frame, Glow Garden, Miracle Garden, Ras al Kor Sanctuary (I am a bird watcher), and take a trip or 2 on the abras. I don't do much shopping, but the textile souk could be interesting.

I note there is a women's museum that sounds interesting. Is there one outstanding heritage or history museum to add to this list?

Just for something different, is Sharjah an alternative location for my pre-cruise stay?

I would appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks in advance.

bump.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/26/2019 at 5:46 PM, mef_57 said:

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your information on this forum.

I am an experienced solo traveler arriving in Dubai prior to a cruise.  Have not visited the Middle East prior, but a tour to Egypt and a visit in Istanbul. I typically do DIY travel and looking for somethings a little different. The cruise embarks Saturday and sails Sunday night giving me tourist time these dates.  My plan is to arrive late Thursday night for an extra day.

I am looking for an area or two to consider for hotel location.

I would like a recommendation of an area I should focus hotel search on for next year (April) that is convenient to ship and places of interest. Generally a budget traveler, but looking for a little more luxury accommodation on this trip. Budget to 800 AED per night and prefer a  view. I do like the thought of a high floor with scraper views.

Over the 3 days I expect to visit: the Frame, Glow Garden, Miracle Garden, Ras al Kor Sanctuary (I am a bird watcher), and take a trip or 2 on the abras. I don't do much shopping, but the textile souk could be interesting.

I note there is a women's museum that sounds interesting. Is there one outstanding heritage or history museum to add to this list?

Just for something different, is Sharjah an alternative location for my pre-cruise stay?

I would appreciate any recommendations.  Thanks in advance.

 

Sorry, I missed this one as I was away for a few days at the end of April/early May.   Could you post the actual dates of your visit in 2020 as Ramadan will begin towards the end of April next year which may affect some of the things you’ve asked about...

 

Anne...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...