PRAISE and GRATITUDE to Royal Caribbean for having lifeguards at their pools!!

I am thankful for all cruise lines who let me and other adults still swim in a tiny pool without beeing watched continuously by a life guard! Thank you e.g. TUI cruises, Cunard, P&O and Celebrity!

I also suggest to have safety guards at all staircases and railings just to feel safer. You never know what could happen..

Fun fact: SAAB was one of the first cars to have seat belts as standard equipment. Safety first :)

Not the only cruise line to have lifeguards. Disney was first, followed by Royal on all ships, and NCL on their 4 largest ships.

Glad to hear Disney has them too (never been on a Disney cruise)

Which NCL ships have lifeguards? I have been on the Gem, Jade and Breakaway, and none had lifeguards when I cruised on them, unless they added lifeguards recently. IMO..I think all the cruise ships should have them.

Thanks

How dare you post such positive thoughts! ;) :D

Sadly however, the negative comments will outweigh. Too many Cruise Critic members think lifeguards only save the lives of children. Now sit back & watch them drown themselves in the typical narrow minded babysitter debate.

#StayPositive

Thank You! :D

Why is reality a bitter take? It seems perfectly normal that in a conversation starting with the idea of thanking royal for life guards ends up with others pointing out they were late to the game and only did it because people died and they were sued. Royal didn’t do it to be nice. It is quite the opposite. Just because people know better and point out they don’t deserve praise for this doesn’t make them bitter.

Not everyone needs to see warm and fuzzy nonsense to still be happy. A person can be informed and bliss at the same time you know.

I’m glad they have life guards now and could care less about the extra 10 cents per week per passenger (or whatever it costs). But make no mistake, they didn’t have them before to save a small amount of money. This isn’t a bitter take. It is reality.

Yes, I do think they are important. There have been drownings on other ships/cruise lines, and they still do not have lifeguards at their pools!

So, I am still saying "Thank You Royal Caribbean" for now having lifeguards.

I wish they all did...

you do realize the reason Royal had to hire lifeguards is because a few kids drowned, right... while their parents were oblivious to the fact that their offspring were in distress. including one parent who was supposedly in the same pool at the time.

a cost that has to be recouped somewhere.. by higher prices on board that everyone must now cover.

Don’t be such a cheapie. I’m willing to pay the cost. I applaud cruise lines that have added lifeguards and life jackets. Add it to my cruise fare. Happy to pay for it. They are there for adults too you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A guard watching adults in a tiny 50-60 ft deep pool is like watching you in your bathtub. You know people indeed could drown there too if they are in bad health condition?

To be on the Royal promenade during another blow out sale or be jammed in a staircase with hundreds of people waiting impatiently for self-debarkation with their ten pieces of luggage is much more threatening and dangerous..

I am thankful for all cruise lines who let me and other adults still swim in a tiny pool without beeing watched continuously by a life guard! Thank you e.g. TUI cruises, Cunard, P&O and Celebrity!

I also suggest to have safety guards at all staircases and railings just to feel safer. You never know what could happen..

Don't know about all ships but we were on Celebrity Constellation last Nov and there were lifeguards. We also noticed in April that MSC now has them too.

Julie

A guard watching adults in a tiny 50-60 ft deep pool is like watching you in your bathtub. You know people indeed could drown there too if they are in bad health condition?

To be on the Royal promenade during another blow out sale or be jammed in a staircase with hundreds of people waiting impatiently for self-debarkation with their ten pieces of luggage is much more threatening and dangerous..

Sorry, I got the meter to foot conversion wrong, should be 4-5 ft deep or 1.20-1.50 meter deep.

People have heart attacks too, not just drowning.

Don't be cheap people, pay for the lifeguards. Skip a cocktail. They might save YOUR life.

A little off topic..... I am an American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor, and I relocated to Florida from Maryland three years ago. In Maryland all pools were lifeguarded, from apartment complexes to LA Fitness. This is not the case in Florida and I am still not used to it. Our county pool and the Y are the only ones I have seen guarded. I teach private swim lessons at numerous community pools, and the signs are posted, "swim at your own risk, no lifeguard on duty. " Sadly, the drowning statistics are very high in Florida.

I grew up in Wisconsin. My dad is a Wisconsin Alum. There goes your whole theory Bucky.

My mom is also a Wisconsin alum and I went to UW Lacrosse. I also lived in Milwaukee for a few years a long time ago.

We Midwesterners are a more positive bunch. I don’t think I was a bad mom by letting my daughter go swimming on cruises without watching her every move.

People have heart attacks too, not just drowning.

Don't be cheap people, pay for the lifeguards. Skip a cocktail. They might save YOUR life.

People could have heart attacks everywhere, at dinner, while dancing or during shows. Honestly I would pay extra if they leave the pool open late or early again for people to swim at own risk and without the guards. But I know in Continental Europe we have a totaly different relationship to swiming and water.