Outdoor dining on Prinsendam

kaymoz

What are the current outdoor dining options on Prinsendam (for those not in veranda cabins!), in terms of location, hours, and menu variety?

We'll sail on her for the first time in 2019, and I read somewhere that there was once an outside dining area for the Lido buffet, but that it was enclosed to create Wintergarten, etc.

The best (only?) outdoor dining option is around the pool deck (directly in front of the Lido buffet). There are tables around most of the area by the pool under the walkway on the deck above. It truly is outdoor since Prinsendam has no pool cover.

Here's a look at a small part of the area:

shrubs.jpg

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

What are the current outdoor dining options on Prinsendam (for those not in veranda cabins!), in terms of location, hours, and menu variety?

We'll sail on her for the first time in 2019, and I read somewhere that there was once an outside dining area for the Lido buffet, but that it was enclosed to create Wintergarten, etc.

The area that was enclosed is now the Canelletto Italian Specialty restaurant. Beautiful setting especially before darkness.

The area that was enclosed is now the Canelletto Italian Specialty restaurant. Beautiful setting especially before darkness.

While it is only a Canaletto area for dinner it is also a wonderful area with great views at breakfast and lunch times.

Roy

Is is a common practice and "OK" for guests to pick up food for a meal at the Lido buffet and take it out to eat at the area by the pool, shown in Rafinmd's photo above? Does the buffet have trays for guests to use to facilitate this?

Is is a common practice and "OK" for guests to pick up food for a meal at the Lido buffet and take it out to eat at the area by the pool, shown in Rafinmd's photo above? Does the buffet have trays for guests to use to facilitate this?

HAL does not have any trays. But they do have pretty large plates :).

Hank

Hmm...but seems like traipsing around, weaving through the crowds, juggling a plate and a glass of water and napkins and flatware (etc) is sorta askin for trouble! Would we be too weird if we brought some minimalist plastic trays with us?

Hmm...but seems like traipsing around, weaving through the crowds, juggling a plate and a glass of water and napkins and flatware (etc) is sorta askin for trouble! Would we be too weird if we brought some minimalist plastic trays with us?

You'll only have to carry the plates. Glasses, napkin & flatware are already on the table at meal times. And there are staff to fill the glasses with water, lemonade or ice tea (and coffee in the mornings).

You can bring a tray but you won't need it IMO.

It's not a long walk ;) And the Prinsendam isn't that crowded ;)

You'll only have to carry the plates. Glasses, napkin & flatware are already on the table at meal times. And there are staff to fill the glasses with water, lemonade or ice tea (and coffee in the mornings).

Absolutely correct :). Lots of people can choose to eat outside at the Lido. Service is always good IME.

HAL does not have any trays. But they do have pretty large plates :).

Hank

Since trays went away many years ago, we have been bringing our own tray. Its light weight plastic and make it really easy for a dash to the lido for some breakfast extras (hot waffles/pancakes) to compliment the room service delivery on port days.

I generally get a few comments during a cruise, about what a good idea it is.

Oh, so good to hear that they are organized for people to be eating outside! Do they serve tea in the mornings, or just coffee?

I believe they will serve whatever you want (within reason). Yes, I'm sure they'll get you a pot of hot water. I'll try to check this week when I'm in the Lido for breakfast. Could be tomorrow!