On Board Caribbean P.-Ocean Medallion observations

New York Nana

***** question:

To enter a port area when returning to the ship during the cruise, you used to have to present your cruise card to prove to local authorities that you were indeed on the ship.

What happens now? Do they just look at the Medallion and let you pass?

They give you a (or did with us on the CB last week) a lanyard with a plastic pocket to hold that and your sea pass card. As I mentioned before, you need to have both on you as sometimes they wanted the *****, other times the sea pass. I carried mine in a mesh pocket inside my cross chest purse. When I opened up the outside of the purse exposing it, most of the time my door would open without me having to remove the ***** from the purse..

It is the size of a silver dollar but thicker which the other person said.

It almost sounds as though the Medallion has to be exposed to work properly. :confused:

***** question:

To enter a port area when returning to the ship during the cruise, you used to have to present your cruise card to prove to local authorities that you were indeed on the ship.

What happens now? Do they just look at the Medallion and let you pass?

I used both at different times and didn’t have an issue. They seemed more focused on seeing a government issue photo id.

Deb,

As you had to change cabins for the 4th leg, did you just luck into having the same muster station as the first 3 weeks? I ask because I’m thinking the medallion includes the muster station (but I could just be mixed up with the band MSC has since that’s my next cruise!) so I’m wondering if a medallion is always reprogrammed when a cabin is changed and the new cabin has a different muster station.

Thanks!!

We had a different muster station for the fourth cruise. We received a new cruise card for that leg since we were changing cabins but kept the same Medallion. I think it would have been reprogrammed for us if we were planning on being in transit ahead of time, but we booked the extra cruise just a couple days beforehand. I don't think the system caught up to us in time to get it reprogrammed. But I just went to the Ocean Front where the Navigators are stationed and they put my name on a list and it was working the next time I went to the cabin.

The Medallion doesn't have the muster station on it like it does on the card. Now it is just the name, ship name, and sailing date. Here is the comparison of info on both from our first three weeks.

IMG_22742.jpg

This is the extent of my ‘craftiness’! I got 2 heavy duty (40# weight) magnets from Amazon and they haven’t slid down at all even when I piled papers in it to test it out.

1f9377f177acdcd382af5778a24c9cc7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I definitely like yours better than the one I made!

Important papers have always been left on our bed and just the junk mail outside the door. I hate all the spa, jewelry and art junk so I am glad the mail box is gone.

But, you will still receive all the spa, jewelry and art junk, just not in a mailbox.

The Medallion doesn't have the muster station on it like it does on the card. Now it is just the name, ship name, and sailing date. Here is the comparison of info on both from our first three weeks.

IMG_22742.jpg

Now it is harder for passengers to know if assigned to traditional or anytime dining, and if traditional dining, what time and in what dining room dinner will be.

Update on *****. We’re getting off today (sad face), BUT for those getting on today or in the future, the Ocean NOW feature is now activated! This is where you can order drinks (and other features I’m not sure of). I tried to login to it, but the dang thing must know I’m leaving!! So, I’ll leave it to CB future cruisers to keep us updated on the feature!

It’s been a great cruise and we’ll miss our cabin steward and our MDR servers- some of the best we’ve ever had!!

Ciao!

b8c703c96dcdf2d4cfdf1b2224bb7313.png

I definitely like yours better than the one I made!

Really? Thanks! It was only because of your posts that I even thought about it! I mentioned to a HK supervisor that the mailboxes were handier. I think they are looking at a way to re-introduce them - but probably not for awhile.

Update on *****. We’re getting off today (sad face), BUT for those getting on today or in the future, the Ocean NOW feature is now activated! This is where you can order drinks (and other features I’m not sure of). I tried to login to it, but the dang thing must know I’m leaving!! So, I’ll leave it to CB future cruisers to keep us updated on the feature!

It’s been a great cruise and we’ll miss our cabin steward and our MDR servers- some of the best we’ve ever had!!

Ciao!

So you had unlimited internet for the whole trip as a Platinum member?

I guess they just applied the dollar value to the unlimited package similar to anyone who made the purchase.

So you had unlimited internet for the whole trip as a Platinum member?

I guess they just applied the dollar value to the unlimited package similar to anyone who made the purchase.

Yes, Platinum/Elite guests had free unlimited wifi. For others, they offered a reduced pre-embark purchase of $6.99 per day per device. I believe onboard it was $9.99 per day per device. Extremely fast (I posted earlier the results of my speed test). We were able to watch live the NASCAR race yesterday on my iPad.

I asked about when the free internet would be over but no one was able to confirm.

Yes, Platinum/Elite guests had free unlimited wifi. For others, they offered a reduced pre-embark purchase of $6.99 per day per device. I believe onboard it was $9.99 per day per device. Extremely fast (I posted earlier the results of my speed test). We were able to watch live the NASCAR race yesterday on my iPad.

I asked about when the free internet would be over but no one was able to confirm.

Thanks for the reply.

Since they give a $250 Platinum/Elite perk for a 10 day cruise & charge $9.99 per day per device to anyone, I'm thinking the unlimited internet might be a thing of the future. (wishful :D)

Thanks for the reply.

Since they give a $250 Platinum/Elite perk for a 10 day cruise & charge $9.99 per day per device to anyone, I'm thinking the unlimited internet might be a thing of the future. (wishful :D)

It’s 250 internet minutes per pax, not $250 value.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just an FYI. Get the Mobile Passport app on your phone. We literally walked through customs with no line. We were directed to the Global Entry line, he glanced at our passports and we were done.

• Thanks 1

It’s 250 internet minutes per pax, not $250 value.

Correct. I had a senior moment.

How do you interpret this press release?

"Cruises on ships equipped with the technology (called "Medallion Class" cruises) don't cost extra. While the wearable disc is free, certain features such as MedallionNet will cost extra. Passengers pay $9.99 per device and $29.99 for up to four devices on the same folio, both for a 24-hour period. (Platinum and Elite loyalty members receive free Wi-Fi, limited to one device per passenger.) Accessories that display medallion discs as watches, necklaces or keychains also come with added fees."

Maybe free Wi-Fi but limited to 250 minutes on a 10 day cruise?

Now it is harder for passengers to know if assigned to traditional or anytime dining, and if traditional dining, what time and in what dining room dinner will be.

And what table number is assigned for traditional dining. If we thought it was slow getting into the traditional dining room the first night or two when staff simply glanced at your card to see table #, how long will it take when every medallion in the crowd waiting in the MDR lobby shows up on their screen at the same time!

And what table number is assigned for traditional dining. If we thought it was slow getting into the traditional dining room the first night or two when staff simply glanced at your card to see table #, how long will it take when every medallion in the crowd waiting in the MDR lobby shows up on their screen at the same time!

That would only happen on the first night. People should remember what table they were seated at after that.

It's not that hard.

Once the ***** are in full operation they'll immediately know what table your at when you step up to the podium.

That would only happen on the first night. People should remember what table they were seated at after that.

It's not that hard.

Once the ***** are in full operation they'll immediately know what table your at when you step up to the podium.

I agree as we always know where we’re going after the first time to MDR.

However, I imagine each cabin will have to have a paper notice with the information so a double check of dining time & type can be confirmed as well as table number so you can check with others in your party that you are seated together. Maybe this info is given at check in at the pier?? When traveling with others, checking our dining status is one of the things we do while waiting to board. Knowing details in advance assists in planning whether a meeting with maitre d’ will need to be added to afternoon plans or not. And with cabins (seemingly) not being accessible until 1 or 130, it does make it harder to plan.

When we travel same day as the cruise (or take a red-eye), we may not go to MDR the first night. And depending on the cruise location, there may be many people who skip first night. So that’s why I originally mentioned possibly of seating delays the first 2 nights.

Maybe the podium tablet or computer will be set up to only read a medallion when it is in very close proximity vs. several feet away. Would seem that the further distance would mean many medallions would show up at the same time. A glance at a card or medallion that included the dining info is far quicker than looking at screen, looking up to match face, looking down to get table number then sending pax with a waiter to the table...at least that’s how I imagine it. I hope very much that I’m wrong!

It's not that hard.

It should shock your chair if you're in the wrong place.

This would placate the folks who insist anytime is ruined by traditional crashers...