Thanksgiving on HAL

NYteacher

We have never taken a Thanksgiving cruise, but have done several over Christmas on different lines.

We will be on the Oosterdam and Thanksgiving falls on a port day in Cozumel. What kind of Thanksgiving dinners are usually offered? I will go out on a limb, and assume some kind of “traditional” turkey dinner is offered in the MDR. My slightly odd question is whether or not it is more gourmet, or American classics? Perhaps a mixture of both? 

You are safe on your limb.   We've done Thanksgiving at sea and its definitely not like Mother's cooking, and its definitely not Tavern on the Green either.

It is pretty average as far as Turkey dinners go.  

• Like 1

As has happened with us on a HAL Thanksgiving Day itinerary...ask your waiter for 'family style' service. Bowls and platters of food, rather than individual portions. Not a big thing for me, but it was for him and his wife (table of 6).

I have also taken that meal in the Lido. OK, no rush on anything.

Jim

• Like 1

My last Thanksgiving dinner in the MDR was tasty but especially the chocolate pecan pie.  The pie was amazing and I thought about asking for another slice.  The MDR was decorated.

Appetizers:  Ambrosia fruit, Pate en terrine, Shrimp coktail.

Soups & Salads:  Spiced pumpkin sout, Sweet corn soup, Carrot vhchyssoise, Bibb lettuce salad with red beets.

Entrees included:  Honey-baked ham, Pumpkin ravioli, Beef tenderloin Oscar, Glazed salmon, and Traditional Thanksgiving Turkey.

8 minutes ago, NYteacher said:

I am disappointed that it is processed turkey!

I've had a lot of turkey dinners on HAL ships, and only once (several years ago) was it processed turkey.
I believe there were so many complaints about it during the time HAL used processed turkey that they went back to serving the real thing.

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

I've had a lot of turkey dinners on HAL ships, and only once (several years ago) was it processed turkey.
I believe there were so many complaints about it during the time HAL used processed turkey that they went back to serving the real thing.

Well that’s good news! It did surprise me that a line that has actual maple syrup and orange juice would also have processed turkey.

10 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

It will take some extensive detective work to find fresh orange juice anymore.:classic_sad:

They have fresh orange juice in the Neptune Lounge and the Pinnacle Grill.

Thanksgiving turkey last year was not processed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

They have fresh orange juice in the Neptune Lounge and the Pinnacle Grill.

Thanksgiving turkey last year was not processed.

Luckily we are in a Neptune Suite this sailing.

However, I wasn’t even talking about fresh squeezed juice (I had forgotten this was even an option). Some cruise lines have more of a Tang drink than real juice. I was just glad to have real orange juice.

We were on for Thanksgiving a few years back. Real turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, and pumpkin pie if I remember right. Not as good as homemade but tasty. Dh had the pumpkin ravioli. It was very good actually, very fresh.