Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
schiff1997

Bar drink price increase and Classic Beverage Package

Recommended Posts

So this was posted on Facebook showing price increase on bar drinks on the MSC Seaside that left this past weekend.   We will be on the Divina in January and have upgraded to the Classic Package which states cocktails up to $8.00 etc.  now I'm concerned that the classic package wont cover them as the cocktails are over $8.00.  Does anyone have information on this change?  I emailed our contact at MSC numerous times but have not yet received any reply!

45292665_192110178341776_5820504482282209280_n.jpg

45333769_192110121675115_2530913997197148160_n.jpg

45415087_192110275008433_4303045395044368384_n.jpg

45420168_192110075008453_3273303771530133504_n.jpg

45434281_192110138341780_2751038836418019328_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be on Divina in December (first time on MSC).  I was under the impression that my basic drinks package doesn't include any mixed drinks other than those that are simple booze + mixer, i.e. rum & coke; scotch & soda; gin & tonic.

 

Since I'm mostly a beer and wine drinker, I wasn't very concerned with the mixed drinks.  When I do have one, I like a Dark & Stormy, which is simply dark rum & ginger beer, so I'm hoping that fits the "simple" definition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sail Nov 24th and have the classic package as well.  We got it to have the frozen drinks but now they are more $$ I don't know if they are covered.  I've tried to check into this with no real answer as to what's covered now. Apparently MSC has no idea about the price increase for drinks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jess_2012#1 said:

We sail Nov 24th and have the classic package as well.  We got it to have the frozen drinks but now they are more $$ I don't know if they are covered.  I've tried to check into this with no real answer as to what's covered now. Apparently MSC has no idea about the price increase for drinks. 

The thought of spending more USD to upgrade from the Classic to the Deluxe does not make me happy, especially being Canadian as you are, with the exchange rate that's another $10.80 a day and at 11 days almost another $240 Canadian!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, schiff1997 said:

The thought of spending more USD to upgrade from the Classic to the Deluxe does not make me happy, especially being Canadian as you are, with the exchange rate that's another $10.80 a day and at 11 days almost another $240 Canadian!!

My complaint as well.  Its a terrible exchange rate.  So do I get my money back for the upgrade to the classic or suck it up and pay $112 American more??!  On the plus side it would have cost us $770 for deluxe and we would only pay $364 (we are on a 7 days cruise).  Good deal if your not converting the money from CND to USD.  I would have never paid the $770 to drink on a ship as we aren't big drinkers. First trip without our kids so maybe we will have a few more drinks that usual and I don't want to be limited on the frozen drinks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jess_2012#1 said:

My complaint as well.  Its a terrible exchange rate.  So do I get my money back for the upgrade to the classic or suck it up and pay $112 American more??!  On the plus side it would have cost us $770 for deluxe and we would only pay $364 (we are on a 7 days cruise).  Good deal if your not converting the money from CND to USD.  I would have never paid the $770 to drink on a ship as we aren't big drinkers. First trip without our kids so maybe we will have a few more drinks that usual and I don't want to be limited on the frozen drinks. 

I think the domestic bottled beers also went up, so I am wondering about those,  as far as frozen drinks, yes I too upgraded for those so if worse comes to worse I'll order a virgin frozen drink with a couple of shots on the side and make my own lol !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen this menu on FB but could you ask whoever posted it whether they can ask about the classic package and whether any of these are still covered? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kodesthemoose said:

I haven't seen this menu on FB but could you ask whoever posted it whether they can ask about the classic package and whether any of these are still covered? 

numerous people have been asking and no one seems to get a straight answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess is, they will do the same thing NCL does. When the drink prices go up, so does the amount allowed with the package. I would not worry about it, since none of the beers or drinks fall under the new limit. Think about it. You would be buying an unlimited drink package that you could use for nothing other than coffee and ice cream. MSC will figure it out. Relax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mvh said:

My guess is, they will do the same thing NCL does. When the drink prices go up, so does the amount allowed with the package. I would not worry about it, since none of the beers or drinks fall under the new limit. Think about it. You would be buying an unlimited drink package that you could use for nothing other than coffee and ice cream. MSC will figure it out. Relax.

yes I'm sure they will but in time for my cruise on the 24th?  I don't know as when you call MSC they don't even know about the price changes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also would think that MSC will figure it out and that it might actually be completely useless to call them ahead of time b/c they never seem to know anything.  On board, it's my guess they'll have things in place by the 24th.  The classic drink package in the Caribbean is described this way... it doesn't make sense that they would be trying to eliminate all drinks.

 

Unlimited spirits (Premium brands are excluded), liqueurs and cordials, wide range of cocktails, a selection of wines by the glass, draught and bottled beer, energy drinks, coolers, canned sodas, fruit juices, premium mineral water, premium coffees and coffee-based drinks, hot chocolate delights and take away ice cream in a cone or cup. The drinks included in the package can be consumed in all bars, self-service buffet, restaurants, and speciality restaurants. 

The following items are excluded: premium spirits, premium cocktails, tobacco, bottles of wine, sparkling wine and champagne, souvenir glasses, fresh fruit drinks, minibar and mineral water provided in the stateroom, items delivered through room service and food served in the specialty restaurants and theme bars

 

 

Edited by kodesthemoose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they are trying to get rid of the classic pack and just do the delux.  Didnt RCCL cut down on some of their packages some time ago?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We sailed on Voyager in September there was just one Deluxe package, seeing as MSC have been employing ex RCI and NCL people I would not be surprised if they were trying to go to one package which could cost them customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I upgraded from the DOU to Classic for the frozen foo foo drinks, what ? Now they are not included??

Oh and bottled beer went up $1.00 so now I don't get that either since it is $6.50 and terms say only up to $5.50????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice the cocktails are made with premium liquors it you get the same drink without premium liquor 

it should be cheaper 

The classic package states beer is included and so does the drinks on us includes one type of draft beer and a few types of bottled beer 

I assume there will be bottles beers on the classic package 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had a part response from MSC this morning about the price increases, they have failed so far to say what is no longer included or the date it starts from! our sail date on Divina is December 20th with the Deluxe package. I have replied asking for the rest of the information. Once again MSC are implementing changes without advising customers most of whom will only find out once on their respective ships, and then the arguments will begin for the already harassed staff.

 

Good Morning 
Thank you for your email
The drinks packages are been changed for the upcoming booking however in your case it would be the same cost what you have paid for your upgrade nothing would Change
Should we be of any further assistance don't hesitate to contact us 

Thanks & Regards,
MSC DIRECT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, sidari said:

I have had a part response from MSC this morning about the price increases, they have failed so far to say what is no longer included or the date it starts from! our sail date on Divina is December 20th with the Deluxe package. I have replied asking for the rest of the information. Once again MSC are implementing changes without advising customers most of whom will only find out once on their respective ships, and then the arguments will begin for the already harassed staff.

 

Good Morning 
Thank you for your email
The drinks packages are been changed for the upcoming booking however in your case it would be the same cost what you have paid for your upgrade nothing would Change
Should we be of any further assistance don't hesitate to contact us 

Thanks & Regards,
MSC DIRECT

 

Thank you for the information. We head out in 11 days on the Divina and we have upgraded to the Classic package.  We disembark when you are getting on the ship on Dec. 20th.  I will try to post on the boards here how it goes when in port one day.  Would be nice if they changed the terms & conditions on their website to reflect the change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one of their main issues, changing things without first changing the text on their media and customers find out when its too late to do anything about it. What puzzles me is they usually make changes when the following years brochure starts ie April 2019!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sidari said:

This is one of their main issues, changing things without first changing the text on their media and customers find out when its too late to do anything about it. What puzzles me is they usually make changes when the following years brochure starts ie April 2019!

 

I was wondering if it has anything to do with the Drinks on Us ending November 30th.  In the past they have changed the date about a month before it ended to extend the time.  So far, they have not done that and it is scheduled to end on the 30th still.  Just guessing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why they would reduce availability of the packages though, at the end of the day the Deluxe package we booked included Champagne by the glass, now i read it is no longer included! so we are not getting what we have paid for, the same goes for those with the Classic package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sidari said:

Not sure why they would reduce availability of the packages though, at the end of the day the Deluxe package we booked included Champagne by the glass, now i read it is no longer included! so we are not getting what we have paid for, the same goes for those with the Classic package.

I agree and that is what wigs me out.  I upgraded us $18pp per day for 32 days on the Divina which is not cheap.  I will be very upset if I can't get what I paid for.  Will cancel the upgrade for the second and third cruise if necessary.  Hoping that will not be the case.  Maybe someone that gets off the ship today will come on here and explain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the menu posted is correct and I have no reason to doubt it unless it was someones idea of a joke, it certainly looks like they have increased prices and decreased availability and value, no idea if you can cancel the upgrade once its booked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...