Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

On 11/23/2018 at 8:38 AM, ronrick1943 said:

Nice report and photo's, thanks for sharing your thoughts and enjoy your cruise.

Thank you and others for the kind comments.  As Mr. Rumor observed, this "mini" blog has grown into a full blown blog.  Despite weather, port changes and cancellations, the has been a wonderful cruise.

We are so looking forward to sleeping with our kitties tomorrow night (after two flights that will seem to take forever).  Hopefully we will get through Minneapolis without incident.  

Can't wait to be back onboard Explorer in 2 1/2 months when I will do another blog (and won't call it "mini').

Have a wonderful holiday season!

17 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Jackie and I originally booked this one on Explorer. We were surprised and delighted that Regent made the switch to Splendor, same suites, same price. It was handled easily. 

Also sailing with us are Maria and Bob, and I think Terry and Ray. I know there are many other CC’er’s booked. 

Perhaps there will be some cancellations when final payment is due, which is very early. 

Keep trying. 

Sheila

Jackie, Sheila and I as well were originally on the Explorer BUT Ken and I were on the Explorer Miami/LA and they were LA/Miami.  We bemoaned the fact that we would only see each other as they embarked!   then my TA told me it was being changed to Splendour and I thought - hang on!  Switch to the LA/Miami "version" and be with them.  I asked my TA to do this IF and only IF she could get me the suite I wanted - 785 - so we have the Pacific sunset views from our balcony.   Well, she did!  And so now Ken and I and lots of other CC people are all together on what will be a fabulous cruise.   

Zqueese1 - why not ask for a W/L for this cruise - 14 March 2020 San Diego (no longer LA) to Miami.   Undoubtedly between now and then something will break loose (or maybe you could "squat" one of the lifeboats??  !!)

Also - I am keeping the roll call list for the cruise and I don't have John and Karen - Iteach53 - on it.  Ask them to be in touch please!!  Would be good to add them.

Gerry

Edited by Hambagahle

4 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Jackie, Sheila and I as well were originally on the Explorer BUT Ken and I were on the Explorer Miami/LA and they were LA/Miami.  We bemoaned the fact that we would only see each other as they embarked!   then my TA told me it was being changed to Splendour and I thought - hang on!  Switch to the LA/Miami "version" and be with them.  I asked my TA to do this IF and only IF she could get me the suite I wanted - 785 - so we have the Pacific sunset views from our balcony.   Well, she did!  And so now Ken and I and lots of other CC people are all together on what will be a fabulous cruise.   

Zqueese1 - why not ask for a W/L for this cruise - 14 March 2020 San Diego (no longer LA) to Miami.   Undoubtedly between now and then something will break loose (or maybe you could "squat" one of the lifeboats??  !!)

Also - I am keeping the roll call list for the cruise and I don't have John and Karen - Iteach53 - on it.  Ask them to be in touch please!!  Would be good to add them.

Gerry

Gerry

How could I forget you? Sorry. You and I kept discussing this cruise and you wanted to sail earlier because of spring flower planting at home. Remember how happy I was when you switched to sail with us! See you for cocktails!

Sheila

23 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Gerry

How could I forget you? Sorry. You and I kept discussing this cruise and you wanted to sail earlier because of spring flower planting at home. Remember how happy I was when you switched to sail with us! See you for cocktails!

Sheila

Indeed!   Apérol spritz all round!!!    I am counting the days...

Gerry

Gerry and Sheila - they are on the Miami to San Diego cruise which is why you don't see them on Roll Call.

Update - debarking in what I consider the worst port in the world (writing from MIA airport).

Disembarkation was scheduled for 8:00 a.m. and our "call time" was 9:00 a.m.  Best made plans.................etc.  Immigration decided that each and every crew member must go through immigration (while serving breakfast and doing everything else).  Until each and every crew member finished immigration, no one could get off of the ship (in addition to the requirement that all luggage be off of the ship before passengers can disembark).  

At 9:10 a.m. we were called (the first color to be called which was a bit strange).  Apparently "Black" tags are for Titanium, Diamond and Commodore Seas Society members that have private transfers.  So, off we went to be walked to the short immigration line and were whisked away in a limo.  Not bragging here - just like a kid in a candy store since we attained the "Titanium" milestone.

After all passengers disembark the big inspection begins - not sure how long that takes or if passengers can board while the inspection is in progress (I think not).  So, as of the time we left the ship, they are about 1/2 to 1 hour behind schedule on everything.  We'll have to wait for Mr. Rumor to report what is going on.  Truly hope that they are no delays in boarding.

This is a real concern. You have been reporting that this can often be delayed. 

We are on the Voyager in Feb in/out of Miami. Worried about making our 11:50a flight. Is there something we can select in terms of transportation or other that would provide for an early exit (earlier than others). Alas we are only Gold level. 

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Gerry and Sheila - they are on the Miami to San Diego cruise which is why you don't see them on Roll Call.

Update - debarking in what I consider the worst port in the world (writing from MIA airport).

Disembarkation was scheduled for 8:00 a.m. and our "call time" was 9:00 a.m.  Best made plans.................etc.  Immigration decided that each and every crew member must go through immigration (while serving breakfast and doing everything else).  Until each and every crew member finished immigration, no one could get off of the ship (in addition to the requirement that all luggage be off of the ship before passengers can disembark).  

At 9:10 a.m. we were called (the first color to be called which was a bit strange).  Apparently "Black" tags are for Titanium, Diamond and Commodore Seas Society members that have private transfers.  So, off we went to be walked to the short immigration line and were whisked away in a limo.  Not bragging here - just like a kid in a candy store since we attained the "Titanium" milestone.

After all passengers disembark the big inspection begins - not sure how long that takes or if passengers can board while the inspection is in progress (I think not).  So, as of the time we left the ship, they are about 1/2 to 1 hour behind schedule on everything.  We'll have to wait for Mr. Rumor to report what is going on.  Truly hope that they are no delays in boarding.

This is not only a nightmare but incredibly stupid.   Crew members are working.   Surely the US authorities would realise they are a "captive audience" and get passengers off first, then crew.  But apparently not.   Arriving at MIA - the airport that is - is my idea of flying into hell.   I am Swiss with a Swiss/American husband who has to use his US passport to enter the USA.  (That I do understand...).  BUT at MIA I breeze through the kiosk/fingerprint/photo machine and get an OK.  Ken always gets a big "X" and we both have to then go to see a live person.  Queue for the machine can take an hour.  Then the live person same time.  So TWO hours to allow a US national to enter his own country.   That is Miami for you...

I do hope that Rich, Ginny and Shauna don't have to wait and wait and wait to board.  I also hope Jackie that your transit via MSP went well (and no snow!) and you will soon be home to the cats!  Thanks again SO much for all the great photos and posts on this cruise.

Gerry

I must agree with TC the port of Miami can be a horrible experience as well as the airport.  Crew immigration can pop up anywhere in a US port.

I would never book a flight before noon.  Port strikes happen and inspections.  Leave an optimal amount of time to fly home.  Relax and go to the airline lounge and relax and have no worries.  JMHO

4 hours ago, macbest said:

This is a real concern. You have been reporting that this can often be delayed. 

We are on the Voyager in Feb in/out of Miami. Worried about making our 11:50a flight. Is there something we can select in terms of transportation or other that would provide for an early exit (earlier than others). Alas we are only Gold level. 

We have made an 11:40 am flight.  Being Titanium did not get us off the ship - it got us transportation.  Pretty much nothing gets you off until every piece of luggage is offloaded.

When you are onboard, you will receive paperwork about disembarkation. I would speak with Destination Sevices when you return the paperwork.  That is what we did last time and then got in line and stood there for a long time. 

This is not only a nightmare but incredibly stupid.   Crew members are working.   Surely the US authorities would realise they are a "captive audience" and get passengers off first, then crew.  But apparently not.   Arriving at MIA - the airport that is - is my idea of flying into hell.   I am Swiss with a Swiss/American husband who has to use his US passport to enter the USA.  (That I do understand...).  BUT at MIA I breeze through the kiosk/fingerprint/photo machine and get an OK.  Ken always gets a big "X" and we both have to then go to see a live person.  Queue for the machine can take an hour.  Then the live person same time.  So TWO hours to allow a US national to enter his own country.   That is Miami for you...

I do hope that Rich, Ginny and Shauna don't have to wait and wait and wait to board.  I also hope Jackie that your transit via MSP went well (and no snow!) and you will soon be home to the cats!  Thanks again SO much for all the great photos and posts on this cruise.

Gerry

At MSP awaiting next flight.  No snow but it is freezing (I like freezing). All we can do is warn people about MIA Airport and hope that people listen. Sometimes you can disembark normally but I wouldn’t count on it.

Dennis and I are sharing a bowl of chile... very yummy

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

BUT at MIA I breeze through the kiosk/fingerprint/photo machine and get an OK.  Ken always gets a big "X" and we both have to then go to see a live person.  Queue for the machine can take an hour.  Then the live person same time.  So TWO hours to allow a US national to enter his own country.   That is Miami for you...

Gerry:

I had the same problem with my mother - every time we tried to enter the US using the global entry kiosk, I would never have a problem, but Mom always received the dreaded X.  After one too many frustrating  entry experience, we went back to the TSA office at the airport to enquire as to why the problem continued and learned something very interesting. The TSA officer knew what our problem was before we even opened our mouth - apparently, as one gets older, they begin to lose their finger prints and the prints that were recorded at the time of the application may vary from the prints being read at the time of entry - the solution, which is actually very simple - approximately ten minutes before using the kiosk, use a good hand lotion, making sure to include the fingertips. Since we have started to use this trick, we have never again received the dreaded X.

Last year we were at JFK airport and the TSA agents were actually providing hand lotion to some older passengers before using the kiosk and recording the success rate of entry.

gnomie 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gnomie1 said:

Gerry:

I had the same problem with my mother - every time we tried to enter the US using the global entry kiosk, I would never have a problem, but Mom always received the dreaded X.  After one too many frustrating  entry experience, we went back to the TSA office at the airport to enquire as to why the problem continued and learned something very interesting. The TSA officer knew what our problem was before we even opened our mouth - apparently, as one gets older, they begin to lose their finger prints and the prints that were recorded at the time of the application may vary from the prints being read at the time of entry - the solution, which is actually very simple - approximately ten minutes before using the kiosk, use a good hand lotion, making sure to include the fingertips. Since we have started to use this trick, we have never again received the dreaded X.

Last year we were at JFK airport and the TSA agents were actually providing hand lotion to some older passengers before using the kiosk and recording the success rate of entry.

gnomie 

Thanks for the explanation, gnomie!  Now all is revealed.  You see Ken is an "overseas American".  Has to apply for his US passport by post. The US Embassy stopping issuing passports (aside from emergency ones) 5 or more years ago).. No fingerprints possible.  So clearly there is no match.  (Swiss passport we get iris scanned, fingerprints taken, photo taken all in the same office on the same day...then passport comes two days later but all US nationals living abroad have to mail in their old passports and applications to a mysterious office in Maine.  Can't mail your fingers with it!!)    I will tell him and warn him to be prepared when we fly into SFO in 2020.

Very interesting explanation!

6 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Jackie:

Welcome back and thank you so much for taking us along.  I really appreciate your posts and the pics you posted.  Time to start getting ready for your next cruise!

Z and TB

Yes - the good part is that we sail on Explorer in 2 1/2 months.  For now I need to get over a cold that I came down with last Friday.  Was concerned about my ears on the airplane but I found a way to keep them clear.  Today I am going to spend a lot of time sitting on my recliner with 2 of our 3 kitties.    Life is good!

It was a great cruise and doesn't really require a review.  The best Regent improvement is their communication. We were kept advised of what was happening with our port cancellations/changes, the storm, etc. at least once a day (and the announcements went into the suites due to the importance of the information).  We ended with three itineraries...... the second one showed that we would not stop in Bermuda but would stop for 6 hours in Las Palmas and then go straight to Miami.  The third itinerary added in St. Maarten.  Everyone that we spoke to (and this group of passengers were very friendly) enjoyed the cruise and did not spend time complaining about changes.

That is it for now.  Thanks for the kind comments.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Thanks for the explanation, gnomie!  Now all is revealed.  You see Ken is an "overseas American".  Has to apply for his US passport by post. The US Embassy stopping issuing passports (aside from emergency ones) 5 or more years ago).. No fingerprints possible.  So clearly there is no match.  (Swiss passport we get iris scanned, fingerprints taken, photo taken all in the same office on the same day...then passport comes two days later but all US nationals living abroad have to mail in their old passports and applications to a mysterious office in Maine.  Can't mail your fingers with it!!)    I will tell him and warn him to be prepared when we fly into SFO in 2020.

Very interesting explanation!

I'm also curious about this explanation, and will try it.  David has had the same 'X' problem at MIA.

But I'm curious about why your husband "has to" use his American passport.  David is dual, Canadian/US, and always uses his Canadian passport when he travels, even to the U.S.

I think there is a difference for Canadians.  For the rest -  US nationals living abroad (in Ken's case, most of his life but he was born in the US) he has to use his US passport otherwise the Immigration people are more than nasty.   He has every right to be a dual national but to and from the US - US passport!   

OR maybe - was David born in the US so his Canadian passport shows USA as place of birth?  If not that also might make a difference.   US national but born in Canada - the US Immigration people would expect him to have a Canadian passport.

Edited by Hambagahle

I think there is a difference for Canadians.  For the rest -  US nationals living abroad (in Ken's case, most of his life but he was born in the US) he has to use his US passport otherwise the Immigration people are more than nasty.   He has every right to be a dual national but to and from the US - US passport!   

OR maybe - was David born in the US so his Canadian passport shows USA as place of birth?  If not that also might make a difference.   US national but born in Canada - the US Immigration people would expect him to have a Canadian passport.

Wow, that's crazy, did not know that.  No, David was born in the USA and that's shown on his passport.  They don't say a thing, although he always carries his US passport just in case, but never has to show it.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

The fingerprint issue is not only for the elderly (according to the Canadian and U.S. Custom and Border Patrol officers at the nearby Canadian border).  If you handle/handled paper a lot, it also wears away your fingerprints.  I am quite surprised that more countries do not use iris scan (they have this at Canadian airports).  If you have a NEXUS pass (related to Trusted Traveler card) and enter Canada (we fly out of and into Vancouver regularly), you simply go to a machine - insert your card - look into a mirror that reads your iris - answer 2 or 3 questions and you're done.  The reason this is a good idea is that your iris doesn't change - even if you have cataract surgery (I suppose there are some instances where surgery could change your iris but I have not heard of anyone having problems.

9 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Wow, that's crazy, did not know that.  No, David was born in the USA and that's shown on his passport.  They don't say a thing, although he always carries his US passport just in case, but never has to show it.

I just realised there is another issue - ESTA.  I don't think this applies to Canadians?   As a Swiss I have to have one.  If Ken applies for an ESTA so he can use his CH passport he has to state any other former OR current nationalities and I think the Americans would not issue the ESTA if he says he has a US passport.  Which of course he would have to say.   The ESTA is a pain in the neck.  And US nationals are about to discover this because the EU is bringing in something similar and all Americans are going to have to apply for one.  (Luckily we Swiss won't!  we belong to Schengen and the EU can't impose this on us...just as well too because there are places around here when if hiking you aren't sure if you are in Switzerland, France or Italy!!)