Advice for Royal after Cruising with Carnival

Hi All!  As the title reads, we have cruised 6 times with Carnival and once with Norwegian, but we are wanting to try out Royal.  I haven't researched very much yet, but I wanted to ask everyone what their advice was for Royal.  What are the things with Royal that are "must see"  or "must do" as far as ships, amenities and/or restaurants and dining options, etc.  What are you recommendations for the ships?  I have seen all the amazing advertisements for the new Symphony of the Seas and the other recent ships ,which all look awesome!   What about some of the other ships.  I live in Oklahoma, so I don't really have a preference on the embarkation port, We have sailed from Miami and FLL as much as we have from Galveston.  

What are the things to be aware that you may not have liked as much as you had hoped to with Royal that you may have liked on other cruise lines?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by OKLandShark

Liberty sails out of Galveston year round on 7 day cruises, very nice ship, excellent entertainment ice show is amazing , also broadway play Saturday night fever is good, sailed ship in 2016 and 2017.  We have sailed almost all the major lines and prefer rccl in general.

• Like 1

It would help if you knew which ship you are asking about.  There is a big difference between the older, smaller ships to the newer bigger ones.  I have been on a lot and prefer the bigger ones (Oasis, Allure) as there is so much to do - pools, shows, neighborhoods, etc...  But, having just gotten off Serenade, there is a lot to be said about the "smaller" ship - so much personality.  Give a few ships that you are looking at and you will get some honest information.

It would help if you provided more information as to what you enjoy. Do you put a lot of emphasis on food, shows, ports, sports, pools?  Are you talking for a couple or family?  Royal Caribbean has different classes of ships and they are not all the same. You need to look at each class and what they offer. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

Liberty sails out of Galveston year round on 7 day cruises, very nice ship, excellent entertainment ice show is amazing , also broadway play Saturday night fever is good, sailed ship in 2016 and 2017.  We have sailed almost all the major lines and prefer rccl in general.

I also second Liberty. Nice size ship with plenty of activities - Flow Rider, Water slides, Tidal Wave, Rock Climbing Wall as well as the usual mini-golf, basketball courts, arcades. We always take a dip in the cantilever whirlpools at the end of the day. 

For shows, the ice show is awesome as is the "In The Air" aerialist show. If you like Broadway, there is Saturday Night Fever.

For Food and Drinks, check out Giovanni's specialty restaurant, the new & improved pizza at Sorreto's (complimentary) is tasty. Have a drink, relax and listen to music at Schooners piano bar or Hoof and Claw English pub. Of course, there is a night club at Olive or Twist and a country music band in the Star Lounge.

• Like 1

Also, even though you are an experienced cruiser, you might want to shy away from an Oasis-class ship. It can be a bit intimidating for first time Royal (even long-time Royal) as the ship is huge with a complex combination of complimentary food options, specialty restaurants and A la carte restaurants.

Also, having to reserve all shows in advance can be a bit overwhelming. After all, who knows what day they want to see comedy 3 months from now??

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 1

Lots of people take their first cruise on a. Oasis class ship and have a great time.  The ships are easy to navigate around and are wonderful for people of all ages. 

Booking the shows ahead ahead of time is not difficult. You don’t have to abide by your booking; you are not chharged/penalized. 

Having multiple free and for a fee food options also is a plus. 

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Also, even though you are an experienced cruiser, you might want to shy away from an Oasis-class ship. It can be a bit intimidating for first time Royal (even long-time Royal) as the ship is huge with a complex combination of complimentary food options, specialty restaurants and A la carte restaurants.

Also, having to reserve all shows in advance can be a bit overwhelming. After all, who knows what day they want to see comedy 3 months from now??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Lots of people take their first cruise on a. Oasis class ship and have a great time.  The ships are easy to navigate around and are wonderful for people of all ages. 

Booking the shows ahead ahead of time is not difficult. You don’t have to abide by your booking; you are not chharged/penalized. 

Having multiple free and for a fee food options also is a plus. 

Good points and all true. But while cruising on the Oasis-class ships, I've spoken to people that were put-off by the show reservations or not knowing how the for-fee restaurants charge.  I've also seen those complaints echoed here on CC, especially in the early days of Oasis. 

Just pointing that out to the OP, should that be a concern of theirs.

• Like 1

I like the Oasis class ships with Royal because of the broadway shows. hairspray, Grease, Cats. The productions were amazing! Not your usual cruises ship entertainment. I was just on the Harmony and felt like the MDR food was average at best. Was on the same ship last year and felt the food was much better on that cruise. I really don't care for the older ships in the fleet. Just not much to do. IMO

• Like 1

Sorry about not mentioning that we are a family of 4.  2 daughters aged 9 and 3.  I really did not have any ship in mind yet, as we are recently got back from the Vista in October and are planning for next fall.  As for the entertainment and food, we enjoy trying all that is offered, which is all part of the experience.  

Thank you to all that responded and any more info is always helpful!

HBE4---Do you have any more info about how the restaurants are set up for the inclusive and for-fee restaurants charge??  

TIA  

My first cruise with Royal was on the Harmony and we absolutely loved it. I didn't see any of it as complicated. Was not at all hard to make the reservations that I could see. Also, you don't have to make reservations if you don't want. You can just show up and chances are you will get a seat. Of course as with most of life, nothing is absolute. And yeah it was big but man you get your steps in. We had a blast.

Edited by dwayneb236
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HBE4 said:

on the Oasis-class ships, I've spoken to people that were put-off by the show and restaurant reservations or not knowing how the for-fee restaurants charge.  

we are sailing on Sunday on the Oasis with friends who are bringing their adult children and grandchildren.  My friend is overwhelmed trying to make reservations for shows and restaurants and is very confused when the "add to cart" comes up, expecting to be charged!   I don't like that system either.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, OKLandShark said:

Sorry about not mentioning that we are a family of 4.  2 daughters aged 9 and 3.  I really did not have any ship in mind yet, as we are recently got back from the Vista in October and are planning for next fall.  As for the entertainment and food, we enjoy trying all that is offered, which is all part of the experience.  

HBE4---Do you have any more info about how the restaurants are set up for the inclusive and for-fee restaurants charge??  

TIA  

I don't have any input on the for fee restaurants since we've never done one, but the inclusive restaurants include the main dining rooms, the Windjammer (buffet), Johnny Rockets (only breakfast is free), Sorrentos (pizza), a hot dog place, Park Cafe, and possibly others that I can't remember. 

The inclusive food has always been enough for us, and I've never felt the need to purchase any of the specialty dining options (although we are doing a sushi making class on our upcoming trip).

• Thanks 1

For Starters , The newer ships are much more expensive than the older ships. While everyone is different we personally enjoy the Freedom Class ships. The size is perfect for us. WE do enjoy eating at specialty restaurants. Chops is the RCL steak house and Giovani is the Italian restaurant. Izumi is sushi etc and there are several others easy to research if you are really interested. RCL does offer different drink packages and again you will have to decide which one if any is worth it to you based on your drinking or non drinking habits. We take the deluxe package which is their premium all inclusive drink package. RCL has pretty good wifi on board for a fee if you feel you need that.     

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OKLandShark said:

I used to have a chart from Royals website that listed all of the complimentary, ala carte and upcharge restaurants (and which charged for dinner but were free for breakfast and/or lunch). But it is now hopelessly outdated as Royal seems to keep changing the fee structure.

Anyway, here are 2 mostly but not quite up-to-date links that might give you a better idea.  For a quick summary:

https://www.*****.com/2017/01/31/first-time-cruisers-guide-royal-caribbeans-oasis-of-the-seas

Note: the link from 2017 and Solarium Bistro is now complimentary for dinner.

A more detailed description of the dining options can be found here:

https://www.tripsavvy.com/royal-caribbean-allure-of-the-seas-dining-991119

Unless otherwise noted that it has an upcharge or ala cate pricing, then its complimentary. The only error that I can see it says room service is free. It’s not, only continental breakfast room service is free.

The newer Oasis-class ships (Harmony and Symphony) have additional restaurants that are not covered in those links but I think you get the idea.

• Like 1

Yes... I can appreciate that you have said that some people are overwhelmed by the oasis class ships.

However, there have been many many posts on cruise critic about someone who tried Royal for the first time after loyally sailing other lines.  They say they were looking for the amazing and wow that they have heard so much about and yet they booked there cruise on the Majesty??????

So... as others have said, It is really about what is important to you on a cruise...

• Like 1

Yeah, I love the Oasis-class ships. Sailed them 3 times and are probably my overall favorite. It’s just that they operate slightly differently than the rest of the fleet.

To the OP – I see you are traveling with small children. They are allowed to dine in the Solarium Bistro, even though it’s within the Solarium (adults-only) pool area.

Edited by HBE4
  • Thanks 1

In order to ensure the WOW factor, I would recommend at least the Freedom class.  After trying Oasis and Allure, I highly recommend these ships even for new Royal cruisers.  There is so much to see, do and experience, it is hard to imagine not having an awesome cruise.  The entertainment is leagues better than other ships.  And the ships themselves are works of art.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dwayneb236 said:

My first cruise with Royal was on the Harmony and we absolutely loved it. I didn't see any of it as complicated. Was not at all hard to make the reservations that I could see. Also, you don't have to make reservations if you don't want. You can just show up and chances are you will get a seat. Of course as with most of life, nothing is absolute. And yeah it was big but man you get your steps in. We had a blast.

It seems that they have streamlined and simplified the specialty restaurants fee structure. For example, 1st time on Oasis, the Solarium Bistro was free for breakfast and lunch but charged for dinner. The 2nd time, dinner was free as well now (a good thing!) . On Allure, Rita Mexican was ala carte pricing but on Oasis it was a one-time upcharge. Not sure if Allure has changed to one-time upcharge.

None of which ruins the cruise for me – still love it – but I can see where there might be some confusion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dwayneb236 said:

Our cruise on the Harmony spoiled my wife for the Oasis class. I don't mind a bit smaller ship but she just likes all the stuff. Fine with me. As long as I'm on a ship I'm all good. 

Agreed.  After 4 sailings on either the Oasis-class or Anthem ships, I went back to the “old, small” Liberty and still had a blast and did not run out of things to do!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lazydayz said:

In order to ensure the WOW factor, I would recommend at least the Freedom class.  After trying Oasis and Allure, I highly recommend these ships even for new Royal cruisers.  There is so much to see, do and experience, it is hard to imagine not having an awesome cruise.  The entertainment is leagues better than other ships.  And the ships themselves are works of art.  

Again, I agree!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OKLandShark said:

TIA  

If you really enjoyed the Vista then try one of the Oasis class ships.  We (2 adults) have been on both the Vista & Oasis of the seas (going on Allure on Sun.) and liked both ships.  If the kids like the water slides on the Vista then go with Harmony or Symphony.  I thought the Vista had a different variety of free food venues then Oasis.

• Thanks 1

I would recommend the Anthem of the Seas.  We were on Oasis 2 times and then Anthem and there was way more things my 11 yr old granddaughter got to do.  They have bumper cars, trapeze, roller skating, game systems (which she did not have time for) rock wall, iFly (everyone had time for this), flowrider.  The shows were great, especially the tribute to Queen.  We just found the Anthem to be a better fit than the Oasis.  Cannot comment on free food as were were in a suite and went to speciality restaurants and Coastal Kitchen instead of buffet or MDR.  Your kids would love this boat and family wise the bumper cars were lots of fun.

• Like 1