Luggage on Carnival question - urgent

niciediva007

We travel out to JAX tomorrow early AM and are in the throes of packing but have questions.

Each person is entitled to one checked luggage per person (5 day itinerary, 5 people), however are we limited to the number of carry ons we can bring? Between the Juice and soda and other items we have about 7 carryon pieces between us. Is this a problem? 

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

No problem on the number of carry-ons as long as you don't exceed the specific limits on wine and non-alcoholic beverages.  And the number of checked bags is just Carnival's suggestion, not a contractual limit or anything enforced.

I didn’t realize the one checked was just a suggestion. That’s great news, actually. I love how Carnival sets rules they don’t enforce, lol. Well, except the alcohol one, anyway.

2 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

It may be a problem for the airline.  You are not limited to number of bags or carry-ons on Carnival.

Okay I wasn’t sure. We aren’t flying so we’ve got plenty of room otherwise. I cannot believe how much luggage we are bringing. And believe me, we’ve scrubbed it down to basics at least three times! Ugh.

12 minutes ago, niciediva007 said:

Okay I wasn’t sure. We aren’t flying so we’ve got plenty of room otherwise. I cannot believe how much luggage we are bringing. And believe me, we’ve scrubbed it down to basics at least three times! Ugh.

I'm feeling your pain!  I can't believe how much we overpack.  Between my wife and I we have three large suitcases.  Regardless, you could bring 20 bags to check-in for the cruise lines.  Biggest reason we try to leave from a port near us (we live in Florida so not a challenge).  Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

Remember, no one on the ship will care what you're wearing.  We pack a minimum and still end with clothes we don't wear.

9 hours ago, niciediva007 said:

I didn’t realize the one checked was just a suggestion. That’s great news, actually. I love how Carnival sets rules they don’t enforce, lol. Well, except the alcohol one, anyway.

Hi

I don't know if you have heard the phrase, you should bring twice the money and half the clothes. 😀 Five days isn't a very long cruise, many people would be able to manage with just a carry on/back pack. Maybe if you are traveling into a colder region where you need to have multiple layers of clothes, but not if you are travelling south.

If it's not a problem for you to bring that much, go ahead. You will likely find that many items will be not be used. 

hope this helps

4 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

Remember, no one on the ship will care what you're wearing.  We pack a minimum and still end with clothes we don't wear.

Eh. I dress for myself. We are not exactly minimum type people. We like to wear two outfits a day; at least until we get to the point where we are over it all and start to re-wear things. We are like this on every trip we take. We do usually have clothes we don’t wear,  but it always happens that the trips we take the conservative approach, we wish we had just packed that one extra thing! I’m in the camp of rather to overpack than under. 

We do have a lot of things that won’t return with us though...so coming home with be slightly easier unless I shop a lot.

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

I don't know if you have heard the phrase, you should bring twice the money and half the clothes. 😀 Five days isn't a very long cruise, many people would be able to manage with just a carry on/back pack. Maybe if you are traveling into a colder region where you need to have multiple layers of clothes, but not if you are travelling south.

If it's not a problem for you to bring that much, go ahead. You will likely find that many items will be not be used. 

hope this helps

Yes, I have and we did bring double the $$, but half the stuff is more of a challenge! 🤷🏾‍♀️

3 minutes ago, niciediva007 said:

Eh. I dress for myself. We are not exactly minimum type people. We like to wear two outfits a day; at least until we get to the point where we are over it all and start to re-wear things. We are like this on every trip we take. We do usually have clothes we don’t wear,  but it always happens that the trips we take the conservative approach, we wish we had just packed that one extra thing! I’m in the camp of rather to overpack than under. 

We do have a lot of things that won’t return with us though...so coming home with be slightly easier unless I shop a lot.

2 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I used to way over-pack and have since changed my ways.  If possible, I'd increase the number of checked bags and decrease the carry-ons.  You'll be stuck dragging your carry-ons around until the rooms are ready at 1:30.

Yes, we’ve have world travelled and tried really hard over the years to be “Team Carryon”. On business trips I can get by, but I have resigned to the fact that I’m just just “extra” lol.

We have booked a grand suite and have FTTF so I believe we get to our rooms pretty quick tomorrow. Our check in is 11:30 so, unless something changes, we should get our luggage fairly quickly and to our room fast as well. 

I'm not sure why you are bringing so many drinks. I would get the drink package myself. That's what we always do. We always over pack and enjoy a full cruise wardrobe but you will be dragging all that luggage around the ship for hours going and coming. And because everyone else is doing the same, it gets very crowded. It is usually impossible to get an elevator and you will be going up and down many flights of stairs. Plus the extra luggage takes away from exploring the ship for those 3+ hours. Check everything except an airplane size carry-on us best maneuverable size and enjoy the ship while you wait. But as someone who takes and uses lot of clothes on shop I understand. 

• Like 1

Just now, LARP said:

I'm not sure why you are bringing so many drinks. I would get the drink package myself. That's what we always do. We always over pack and enjoy a full cruise wardrobe but you will be dragging all that luggage around the ship for hours going and coming. And because everyone else is doing the same, it gets very crowded. It is usually impossible to get an elevator and you will be going up and down many flights of stairs. Plus the extra luggage takes away from exploring the ship for those 3+ hours. Check everything except an airplane size carry-on us best maneuverable size and enjoy the ship while you wait. But as someone who takes and uses lot of clothes on shop I understand. 

Our carryons are a beach bag for myself and my MIL, my kids each have one small backpack and my husband has a backpack. Instead of lugging around my MIL’s garment bag we are now going to check it. Carry on wise that’s it.

i think we get stateroom access before 1:30 though. 

If you have kids and lots if clothes, magnetic hooks are a good idea to pick up on the way. There are never enough hooks and walls are magnetic. We usually get the butler suites but still end up waiting at least 2 hours. Enjoy!

3 minutes ago, LARP said:

If you have kids and lots if clothes, magnetic hooks are a good idea to pick up on the way. There are never enough hooks and walls are magnetic. We usually get the butler suites but still end up waiting at least 2 hours. Enjoy!

Yes! One of the reasons our luggage is so heavy lol. We brought all the hacks! 

I hope we wont have to wait. But even so, I won’t worry too much. I’ll load my husband up and let him shoulder most of the burden. 😂

If you’ve got FTTF you don’t have to adhere to your check in time. You can get to the terminal and enter as soon as they allow passengers to enter. Then you’ll board when they call FTTF. One of the perks is that your cabin is ready as soon as you get on the ship. Just go through the closed fire doors and straight to your cabin. You won’t have to lug anything around the ship. As far as luggage goes we pack light (as in a carry on size suitcase each) and still bring home unworn clothes, but to each their own. We had FTTF in October and carried on our luggage and were in our cabin and unpacked by 11:25. Have a great cruise!😊

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

If you’ve got FTTF you don’t have to adhere to your check in time. You can get to the terminal and enter as soon as they allow passengers to enter. Then you’ll board when they call FTTF. One of the perks is that your cabin is ready as soon as you get on the ship. Just go through the closed fire doors and straight to your cabin. You won’t have to lug anything around the ship. As far as luggage goes we pack light (as in a carry on size suitcase each) and still bring home unworn clothes, but to each their own. We had FTTF in October and carried on our luggage and were in our cabin and unpacked by 11:25. Have a great cruise!😊

I don’t remember this being the case so thanks for bringing this up! We are en route yo JAX now and tomorrow ought to be able to get to port as early as they will allow.

Does anyone know what time they open the doors?