NCL Favorite Memories

BirdTravels

We were just sitting watching the finale of DWTS where one of the finalists were pro Keo Motsepe and Evanna Lynch (Harry Potter). One of our favorite NCL memories was being on the maiden voyage of the Getaway out of Miami in February 2014 when Keo, a member of the Burn the Floor cast, preformed for us table side in the Tropicana Room. 

image.png.533da984c96ff90556626a56b5b721df.png

image.png.c22480dc16346ca9551b1daea5c1ffbb.png

image.thumb.png.8cb1f3146b9ffc4eb647d7c6272012bc.png

Oh heavens there are so many: I guess, even though it isn't a biggy, the minute we walked onto the Jewel in Dover England. We were the first sailing for the new ship and everything was so special. The view alone in Dover is absolutely beautiful.  Even with some iffy weather and yes some bugs that had to be ironed out, the cruise was wonderful. 

Oh and one more special memory was our first cruise with our grandkids. A couple of things stick in my mind about that: It was on the Sea, at the time called the Seaward. Believe it or not it was the largest ship we had cruised. In those days a 2000 passenger ship with 2 dining rooms was BIG. Anyway our older granddaughter who was about 14 at the time and rather a princess in her own way: said, when she saw her cabin  she was sharing with her younger sister: If you think I am going to spend a week  in this cabin you are nuts. Her mom informed her, she was more than able to sit at the dock until we returned or she could keep her mouth shut. She kept her mouth shut and has cruised many times since. Kids do grow up and she has grown into a wonderful young women, wife and mother. But I do still think it was the smallest ship she ever cruised on. 

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We were just sitting watching the finale of DWTS where one of the finalists were pro Keo Motsepe and Evanna Lynch (Harry Potter). One of our favorite NCL memories was being on the maiden voyage of the Getaway out of Miami in February 2014 when Keo, a member of the Burn the Floor cast, preformed for us table side in the Tropicana Room. 

They should have won, too. The result was a joke.

Very very simple. The first morning of my first cruise, which was our first family vacation ever. We left from NYC in December, so it was snowing and cold. The first morning we woke up and stepped onto the balcony to mild, comfortable, beautiful weather, a gorgeous sunrise, and THE OCEAN!! I did a happy dance. 🙂

Favorite memories are from our first family cruise. 

1. My mother's reaction to having a balcony cabin for the first time (experienced multi line cruiser)
  2. Nephew's enjoyment of the magic show that used to be on the Getaway, at 13 it put a real smile on his face
  3. Maya Key monkey and macaw engagement with my nephew, he still references it 3 years later and my mother simply laying out on the first row of loungers, right at the beach edge, she LOVES time to just chill on vacation

My personal favorite may be from my first solo NCL cruise on the Sky

• We missed GSC due to rough seas so we had an extra sea day. I moved and amassed 25,000 steps, a personal record! I walked, played basketball maybe went to the gym and it probably started in the wee hours dancing at the disco.

My first NCL cruise on POA around the Hawaiian Islands for my 50th (a few years ago). We had an 2 bd family aft balcony suite that wrapped around.

It was an amazing space, to sit with a drink & friends in port or while sailing past those wonderful Islands.

The crew were superb and every day was just perfect.

Thinking about time spent actually on the ship, the highlights are almost all from when sailing in particularly scenic/unusual areas:

Going through the Kiel Canal on the Dream. This was right at the beginning of our very first cruise. It was a fantastic day, and there were some great memories. The funnel folding over to get under the bridges, watching the ferries crossing the canal and waving to locals who came out to see the ship pass. At the end of the day I was in a bar waiting for my wife and got chatting to another cruiser. I remember sitting there thinking this is how I want to travel.

Same cruise, sailing out of Stockholm, through the archipelago.

Sailing past small islands sitting on our aft balcony one night on the Jade in the Western Med. My wife and I sat out there watching the islands pass by.

The sail in and out of Kotor.

I feel I should mention Glacier Bay and the Na Poli coast sail by, or Venice and New York sail in/out. They were indeed fantastic days, but the ones I have mentioned above were all more memorable to me, perhaps because they were more unexpected.