Signature Issues

I haven't been here in a while and it seems like things have changed- I'm not really sure how to manage it. 

I wanted to put in a new countdown to my new booking but realized it won't let me. I can condense the number of lines in my signature but it's only allowing three links and one of the things I really liked about my signature was my links to each review. I wanted to add a link to my review of my recent Oceania trip, but I can't.

How can I still keep those links easily available?

4 minutes ago, SusieV said:

I haven't been here in a while and it seems like things have changed- I'm not really sure how to manage it. 

I wanted to put in a new countdown to my new booking but realized it won't let me. I can condense the number of lines in my signature but it's only allowing three links and one of the things I really liked about my signature was my links to each review. I wanted to add a link to my review of my recent Oceania trip, but I can't.

How can I still keep those links easily available?

With the new restrictions, you can only have 3 links. 

Those of us who have signatures that don't conform to the new restrictions are grandfathered with what our signature was when the move was done.  But, if you want to change anything in your signature, you must now conform with the restrictions.  I'd suggest you keep the 3 most current ones and drop off the oldest ones.

Edited by Shmoo here

Create a post in a forum. In that post, place a link to each of your reviews. You can even write a little summary or snippet. 

Then, link to that post in your signature with text along the lines of "Read all my reviews. Full list here." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Create a post in a forum. In that post, place a link to each of your reviews. You can even write a little summary or snippet. 

Then, link to that post in your signature with text along the lines of "Read all my reviews. Full list here." 

Wow, you are just toooooo clear thinking.  I mean that as a compliment.  I think all the help you put forth on here is just astounding.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Aulanis said:

Like it- Maybe create it in the TEST forum if nowhere else seems appropriate.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/860-test-forum/

No, not in Test Forum.  This whole section  may disappear once we have settled in to the new platform, taking your beautiful post with it. 

What about Cruise Blogs & Websites? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/328-cruise-blogs-amp-websites/

17 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

No, not in Test Forum.  This whole section  may disappear once we have settled in to the new platform, taking your beautiful post with it. 

What about Cruise Blogs & Websites? https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/328-cruise-blogs-amp-websites/

I believe the test forum is permanent.  It was on the last incarnation of the forum.  And another forum I'm on the test forum has always been there.

People always have something to test.

Ok, working on the idea that nothing is permanent how about an offsite store?

One line in the signature

Here you can find my reviews for my (In this case SusieV)Cruises

((   I WILL  BE DELETING THIS SHEET IN A WEEK SO THE LINK WILL NOT WORK))  IN FUTURE ))

Not that there is any guarantee that Google Sheets is permanent

( Piccasa!!) Obviously SusieV would need her own sheets but if

required I or we could set it up initially then she could just copy it. 

Edited by Aulanis

I tried to update my signature and hit "SAVE".  When I checked it out, no change.  I also tried to add a pending cruise and hit "SAVE",  looked good, but when I did a reboot it wasn't there.  Why is this so complicated?  Any suggestions?

Edited by Coasty

There are new restrictions on our signatures. If the signature that you are trying to save exceeds any of the restrictions, it will not save.

image.png.db27ecea58a9472f0e42302a1ec3e764.png

To show all of your cruises, try a different layout for the list, one that does not use a carriage return after each cruise. It says a maximum of 10 lines but it doesn't say how many characters in a line, so make the lines as long as can and only hit the carriage return when you have to.

For example, turn:

Princess Star ..................Sea of Cortez & PV 2016

Carnival Miracle.........................Mexican RV 2016

NCL Sun....................................Mexican RV 2015

NCL Star............................,..... Mexican RV 2015

Into:

Princess Star~Sea of Cortez & PV 2016 • Carnival Miracle~Mexican RV 2016 • NCL Sun ~Mexican RV 2015 • NCL Star ~ Mexican RV 2015

I have attempted to change my signature twice in the last week...

Well, I DID change it, clicked SAVE.

Nope IT HAS NEVER SAVED either time.

I just did it a bit ago (had to make some adjustments to follow the new requirements)

...same old signature is on my latest post.

Sigh...

Edited by KKB

how exactly were you trying to change it?  the sigpic will  probably count as a picture so if you are leaving that in that will stop it.

Each of the two pictures counts as a line so you would somehow have to condense the rest of the script to 8 lines

What do countdown clocks count as? Images or URLs?

Another suggestion is to completely delete everything (even the countdown clocks if you know how to replace them) that is the edit window and start again. It is possible that old code is hiding in the text and messing things up.  Copy your list of cruises in to a word doc. When you go to paste, paste it as plain text to get ride of any formatting that is hiding (instead of control-V, right click and chose "paste as plain text" or "paste special").

Finally, if this all doesn't work and only as a final desperate measure, delete the countdown clocks. I can't tell you how to replace them, so delete only if all else has failed and you are willing to give them up.

30 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

What do countdown clocks count as? Images or URLs? 

I believe Cruise Critic clocks count as images and are also counted as 1 line each.    Countdown clocks from external sites are probably Urls  but again may be classed as 1 line each.

I have not tried it as I dont want to mess mine up as it is "grandfathered" at the moment.

Edited by Aulanis

3 hours ago, KKB said:

I have attempted to change my signature twice in the last week...

Well, I DID change it, clicked SAVE.

Nope IT HAS NEVER SAVED either time.

I just did it a bit ago (had to make some adjustments to follow the new requirements)

...same old signature is on my latest post.

Sigh...

Try doing a "select all" in your signature and then deleting it. Save, then start over. I helped someone who had the same problem. There was some random HTML / rich text in her signature that wasn't visible, but prevented anything new from saving   Let me know if it works. 

17 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

I believe Cruise Critic clocks count as images and are also counted as 1 line each.    Countdown clocks from external sites are probably Urls  but again may be classed as 1 line each.

I have not tried it as I dont want to mess mine up as it is "grandfathered" at the moment.

Clocks are a single image. Images from external sites count as one each. For example, my signature has two images from an external server. That puts me at the image limit. My signature is one line. You *can* put two clocks on one line, but they'll wrap across multiple lines when they display (even though they're one line of text) because of the width available for display of content. 

To make a one liner, it's clock - space - pipe | or dash - space - clock. 

On 11/21/2018 at 5:59 PM, POA1 said:

That's simply brilliant.  Thank you,  you just solved a problem for me :)

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

That's simply brilliant.  Thank you,  you just solved a problem for me :)

Happy to help! It seemed like the most practical way to get around the link limitation.