Photo ID for non-US citizens

Jared2

I am sailing on the Vision of the Seas on January 12 from New Orleans to Miami, Nassau and Key West. I seem to remember from the previous RCI cruises I did (2005-2008) that all passports of non-US citizens are confiscated at check-in and you don't get them back until the night before disembarkation (or maybe even the day of). 

If that is still the case I will only have my Dutch driver's license as an alternate photo ID... Will this be sufficient and recognized in situations where photo ID is required, for example when disembarking and re-boarding the ship in ports of call?

I already have my ESTA for (re-)entry into the US so I'm mostly wondering about the situation in the Bahamas. When I cruised in 2005-2008 I was on a student visa and had a US driver's license which I don't have anymore.

Hi

They will not keep your passport. You will have to present it at check in, and it will be returned. If you don't want to carry your passport off the ship, any ID with your picture on it will do for your ports of call.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

2 hours ago, nathanb2 said:

I am sailing on the Vision of the Seas on January 12 from New Orleans to Miami, Nassau and Key West. I seem to remember from the previous RCI cruises I did (2005-2008) that all passports of non-US citizens are confiscated at check-in and you don't get them back until the night before disembarkation (or maybe even the day of). 

If that is still the case I will only have my Dutch driver's license as an alternate photo ID... Will this be sufficient and recognized in situations where photo ID is required, for example when disembarking and re-boarding the ship in ports of call?

I already have my ESTA for (re-)entry into the US so I'm mostly wondering about the situation in the Bahamas. When I cruised in 2005-2008 I was on a student visa and had a US driver's license which I don't have anymore.

Your Dutch Drivers license will be fine to act as a photo ID. They just want to make sure that the names on that and the ship card match, but honestly, it is the rare occasion that they even look at the photo id.

Have only had passports held by cruiselines in Middle East (RCCL) and South America (Princess)..... Princess issued us with photocopies after passports had been collected.

Confiscated sounds a very harsh word!

We always take photocopies of our passports ashore as well as driving licences as photo ID.  Passports remain in cabin safe.

Usually only asked for ship's card for re embarkation.

( Middle East, South America, Mediterranean, Caribbean)