Sushi Restaurant on Niew Statendam

springtx249

I was going to suggest reading Capt. Albert's blog as I seem to remember reading something about the Sushi bar earlier this month, but when I tried to find the entry, the blog would not go back beyond the current page. It has been interesting reading about the Nieuw Statendam as we'll be on the Christmas cruise.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/author/captain-albert/

On the Koningsdam, there is a bar and a sushi "counter" in the same spots as shown in the diagram Ann posted. We did not try them, but one could apparently go there without needing a Tamarind reservation. I really did not notice if many people were using the venues when we ate in the Tamarind. We did check out the menus however. The bar was, of course, extra charge, but I am not sure if the sushi was additional $$. This is based on our March-April 2018 Transatlantic (FLL to Rome). 

On 10/31/18, talking about things that are different on the N.S. compared to the K, Capt Albert said:

The 2nd change observed is in the Tamarind restaurant. On the Koningsdam there is a small Sushi bar in the ps. aft corner and because sushi is becoming so popular on the ships this bar has now been doubled in size for the Nieuw Statendam. There is also a seating area next to it with little booths for those who do not like sitting at the Bar. The rest of the Tamarind restaurant has remained the same and will no doubt prove to be as popular as ever.

Back in March 2016, talking about the K, he said:

Opposite is a Sushi Bar for those guests who do not want the full Tamarind Menu but just Sushi. 

My guess would be that there is a charge for eating at the sushi bar ... possibly the same price as the Tamarind proper.  You don't actually need a reservation to eat at the Tamarind (i.e. walk-ins allowed if there is space available) so I imagine walk-ins are possible at the sushi bar.

Edited by catl331

On 11/28/2018 at 4:56 PM, springtx249 said:

Does anyone know anything about this?  I saw it listed on the deck plans.  Was wondering if it has an upcharge?

On 11/28/2018 at 6:17 PM, Vict0riann said:

... so I imagine there will be an upcharge, the same as Tamarind.

20 hours ago, catl331 said:

... My guess would be that there is a charge for eating at the sushi bar ... possibly the same price as the Tamarind proper.  You don't actually need a reservation to eat at the Tamarind (i.e. walk-ins allowed if there is space available) so I imagine walk-ins are possible at the sushi bar.

OP, rather than rely on conjecture and guesses, you might want to call HAL Shipo Services for a definitive & authoritative answer, especially if this issue is important to you.

1 hour ago, avian777 said:

OP, rather than rely on conjecture and guesses, you might want to call HAL Shipo Services for a definitive & authoritative answer, especially if this issue is important to you.

Or, as there is now a "Live from"  thread going for the first sailing of the N. Statendam, perhaps that poster can check for the OP.

34 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Or, as there is now a "Live from"  thread going for the first sailing of the N. Statendam, perhaps that poster can check for the OP.

Excellent idea.  However, I'm not surprised that "that poster" didn't offer to do just that ... guess it's more enjoyable to guess and conjecture about such matters than it is to get the facts.