Can I get off ship without passport

bkushner

21 minutes ago, gooch47 said:

How many times have you actually had to show a valid id?  In all our cruises, I can only remember a very few times.  But they always tell you to take it.  We do, but seldom have had to show it.

Just returned from Southern Caribbean cruise.  Stops in Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas.  Every one - had to show a photo ID along with ship's card to gain entry to the dock area to reboard ship.

Once on the dock, only had to show ship's ID to actually get on the ship.

Edited by Shmoo here

2 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Just returned from Southern Caribbean cruise.  Stops in Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica, St Thomas.  Every one - had to show a photo ID along with ship's card to gain entry to the dock area to reboard ship.

Once on the dock, only had to show ship's ID to actually get on the ship.

Interesting.  We've been to some of those places fairly recently and don't remember needing to show them.  I remember specifically Grenada, Nassau and of course, St. Petersburg, Russia.  Maybe it is just a senior moment.

Maybe, but Nassau and Bermuda has required a photo ID to enter the dock area the last two times I have been there.

If you do not have it, they will look you up on the manifest, and subject you to increased screening (like at the airport), then allow you into the area.

I know, as I thought I had forgotten my photo ID once.  And once you start the process, even if you find your photo ID, you have to complete the process.

8 minutes ago, SRF said:

Maybe, but Nassau and Bermuda has required a photo ID to enter the dock area the last two times I have been there.

If you do not have it, they will look you up on the manifest, and subject you to increased screening (like at the airport), then allow you into the area.

I know, as I thought I had forgotten my photo ID once.  And once you start the process, even if you find your photo ID, you have to complete the process.

I remember having this conversation with another CC member who insisted that they never, ever had to show an ID. Turns out that they always returned to the ship at the last minute and at that time they aren't checking ID's (which is what happened to us when we returned to the ship in Freeport, the excursion bus dropped us off 15 minutes before the all aboard and the line of people waiting to get through the gate was crazy long. The security guy was just waving people through.