Another Non-Refundable Deposit question

On 12/13/2018 at 2:02 PM, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Non-Refundable Deposit Fares

Outside of final payment, when a non-refundable deposit cancellation occurs, you will receive a Future Cruise Certificate in the amount of their designated cruise deposit, less a $100 per guest change fee. Such Future Cruise Certificates can be applied towards your future Royal Caribbean cruise vacation when reserved within 1 year of the issue date. Thereafter, the Future Cruise Certificate will expire and becomes invalid.

Still confused about this part of the policy:

"when reserved within 1 year of issue date" - does that mean the reservation has to be made within one year, or the reservation has to be made for a cruise sailing within one year?

Thanks in advance!

14 minutes ago, Chipmoose said:

Still confused about this part of the policy:

"when reserved within 1 year of issue date" - does that mean the reservation has to be made within one year, or the reservation has to be made for a cruise sailing within one year?

Thanks in advance!

I would like to know that too. We have a FCC forthcoming because of the sewage flooding in our bathroom (twice). We have a future cruise booked, but it is more than a year away. 

The FCC for a NRD is dated the day of issue.  That day is the day that you call to cancel/change your cruise.  So always wait until the latest possible date before final payment to make that call.  You have one year to use it from THAT date.

I don't know if an FCC for other reasons is the same, Patti.

The FCC itself SHOULD have an expiration date on it.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You have one year to use it from THAT date.

Sorry, I dont mean to keep beating a dead horse, but am I correct in assuming when you say "use it" within one year - means that the sail date on the new cruise has to be within 1 year, and that the expiration date does not refer to the mere act of applying that fcc toward a cruise  (perhaps to cruise setting sail 2 years from the canceled cruise for example).

6 hours ago, Chipmoose said:

Sorry, I dont mean to keep beating a dead horse, but am I correct in assuming when you say "use it" within one year - means that the sail date on the new cruise has to be within 1 year, and that the expiration date does not refer to the mere act of applying that fcc toward a cruise  (perhaps to cruise setting sail 2 years from the canceled cruise for example).

We've been told that the cruise has to be completed by the FCC expiration date, but I've also read about exceptions to this rule.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

We've been told that the cruise has to be completed by the FCC expiration date, but I've also read about exceptions to this rule.

Yeah....the airlines use a similar model...whereby as long as you book a replacement within the year (which could be for another trip perhaps as much as 10 months in advance beyond that date), you're good to use the "1-year credit".

On 12/13/2018 at 10:06 PM, Host Clarea said:

Can be applied to an existing booking.

So does this mean that if I cancel a sailing that had a $350/pp deposit, I would lose $200 but can apply the remaining $700 to pay toward the balance of an already booked cruise. And if so, is there a time limit. For instance if the cruise I want to apply the $700 toward is 2 years away?

13 minutes ago, jerseygirl3 said:

So does this mean that if I cancel a sailing that had a $350/pp deposit, I would lose $200 but can apply the remaining $700 to pay toward the balance of an already booked cruise. And if so, is there a time limit. For instance if the cruise I want to apply the $700 toward is 2 years away?

The future cruise credit has an expiration date of one year from the cancellation.  The way it's been explained to me, the future cruise must be completed by the expiration date.

9 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

The future cruise credit has an expiration date of one year from the cancellation.  The way it's been explained to me, the future cruise must be completed by the expiration date.

Can you use the future cruise credit to pay off the balance of a previously booked cruise

On 12/13/2018 at 2:02 PM, SciFiGuy1960 said:

Non-Refundable Deposit Fares

Outside of final payment, when a non-refundable deposit cancellation occurs, you will receive a Future Cruise Certificate in the amount of their designated cruise deposit, less a $100 per guest change fee. Such Future Cruise Certificates can be applied towards your future Royal Caribbean cruise vacation when reserved within 1 year of the issue date. Thereafter, the Future Cruise Certificate will expire and becomes invalid.

Should you choose to change your original ship and/or sail date, if you booked directly with us, please contact our Consumer Outreach team at (866) 562-7625 where a representative will assist in making the desired changes, while also applying the qualifying change fee(s) and collecting payment, if not already done so.  If you booked via a travel advisor, please contact them for any booking changes.

To me this means the cruise must be booked (reserved) not completed within one year of the issue date.  Example: FCC issued 3/5/19, future cruise must be booked/reserved by 3/4/2020 (maybe 3/5 with leap year), but the cruise itself could be later.

If the cruise needs to be completed within the year, it should read "Such Future Cruise Certificates can be applied towards your future Royal Caribbean cruise vacation when the vacation is completed within 1 year of the issue date."

Edited by pacruise804

2 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

To me this means the cruise must be booked (reserved) not completed within one year of the issue date.  Example: FCC issued 3/5/19, future cruise must be booked/reserved by 3/4/2020 (maybe 3/5 with leap year), but the cruise itself could be later.

So you apply the FCC to a booking within the year.  Then what happens if the sailing date is changed on that booking?   Can we keep changing the sailing date to keep the FCC from expiring?

I see what you mean.  Royal's wording is very misleading on this.  I must have assumed based on "reserving" the vacation that it was acting like Princess.

When we sailed with Princess you could purchase Future Cruise Deposits while on a current cruise that needed used within 2 years of purchase as a deposit for a future cruise.  My understanding of that program was the FCD became like cash once applied.  If you booked under a refundable deposit the cash amount could be returned if you were still within the 2 years, but if it was non-refundable you didn't get the money back. If a booking wasn't placed within 2 years you received a check for the deposit amount (so you were only out the lost interest on the money).