Another Non-Refundable Deposit question

Not a fan of non-refundable deposits but it is what it is. Hoping someone can answer soon. Recently booked a cruise with a $200 non-refundable deposit. No problem. $200 won't kill me if we cancel.

Looking at booking another cruise on Royal that has a $900 deposit. Is the whole $900 non-refundable or just $200? I can't seem to find anywhere on the website I'm using that explains what if anything is refundable and what is not. Thanks.

Tim

Non-Refundable Deposit Fares

Outside of final payment, when a non-refundable deposit cancellation occurs, you will receive a Future Cruise Certificate in the amount of their designated cruise deposit, less a $100 per guest change fee. Such Future Cruise Certificates can be applied towards your future Royal Caribbean cruise vacation when reserved within 1 year of the issue date. Thereafter, the Future Cruise Certificate will expire and becomes invalid.

Should you choose to change your original ship and/or sail date, if you booked directly with us, please contact our Consumer Outreach team at (866) 562-7625 where a representative will assist in making the desired changes, while also applying the qualifying change fee(s) and collecting payment, if not already done so.  If you booked via a travel advisor, please contact them for any booking changes.

23 minutes ago, cruisin4kicks said:

Not a fan of non-refundable deposits but it is what it is. Hoping someone can answer soon. Recently booked a cruise with a $200 non-refundable deposit. No problem. $200 won't kill me if we cancel.

Looking at booking another cruise on Royal that has a $900 deposit. Is the whole $900 non-refundable or just $200? I can't seem to find anywhere on the website I'm using that explains what if anything is refundable and what is not. Thanks.

Tim

Unless you are booking a suite there is still an option to pick refundable

Strange answer, this is what happened to us.

Booked onboard an 12 day cruise Nonrefundable.......$100 per person for a total of $200.

Months later we changed (ship and cruise date) cruises to a 11 day cruise.............paid the $100 per person change fee...............thing is no one at RCCL could figure out how to make the change with us keeping the same reservation number.

So they gave us another reservation number, our $200 nonfundable deposit carried over to the new cruise.............I would have thought though that we would have had us pay the new deposit  total of $900........But they did not, we still only have $200 down on the new cruise.

Edited by Jimbo

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Why would you keep the same reservation number?

Different date, different ship is a different reservation.

When you make a booking on board you get OBC.  In order to keep it if you change the ship and/or date you need to keep the same booking number.  

3 hours ago, SRF said:

Why would you keep the same reservation number?

Different date, different ship is a different reservation.

I’ve always kept the same reservation number.  In fact I have one reservation currently that has been on 6 different ships and dates.

Its the new NRD deposit structure that has changed keeping the same reservation number.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

8 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Strange answer, this is what happened to us.

Booked onboard an 12 day cruise Nonrefundable.......$100 per person for a total of $200.

Months later we changed (ship and cruise date) cruises to a 11 day cruise.............paid the $100 per person change fee...............thing is no one at RCCL could figure out how to make the change with us keeping the same reservation number.

So they gave us another reservation number, our $200 nonfundable deposit carried over to the new cruise.............I would have thought though that we would have had us pay the new deposit  total of $900........But they did not, we still only have $200 down on the new cruise.

Agree, surprisingly almost similar thing. Had a 7nite reserved with a  $250NRD, switched to the 17nite TA which opened last May, Royal requested no more down and still hasn't.

Edited by ONECRUISER

26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’ve always kept the same reservation number.  In fact I have one reservation currently that has been on 6 different ships and dates.

Its the new NRD deposit structure that has changed keeping the same reservation number.

Agreed, always been that way for us until this last booking onboard.............no one at RCCL customer service could figure out how to make the switch and keep the same reservation number.......this time no one there could figure it out.......so they just said the heck with it and gave me a new reservation number and just carried all the OBC over to the new reservation number.

It's my understanding that you can request a refundable deposit; you just pay a higher price.  This is what I do with bookings far in advance, and I watch the prices.  Then, when the price is better and the obc is more, I switch to a non-refundable.  I'm sitting on one right now that stubbornly is higher for a non-refundable than what I paid for a refundable deposit with zero obc.  

1 hour ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Can someone please answer this? If I booked a non-refundable rate for my sister's cabin, paid with my credit card - if she cancels, will the future cruise credit go to me or in her name??

The FCC would be spilt equally between the guests listed on the reservation.  It does not matter who paid.

• 4 weeks later...

If I switch from a refundable deposit to NRD, does the booking number stay the same? This is a price change only. I want to keep the dinner reservations I have. 

Also, I have FCC available. Does it matter when I apply them? I assume the NRD option doesn't change how they apply the FCC.

1 minute ago, marci22 said:

If I switch from a refundable deposit to NRD, does the booking number stay the same? This is a price change only. I want to keep the dinner reservations I have. 

Also, I have FCC available. Does it matter when I apply them? I assume the NRD option doesn't change how they apply the FCC.

Booking number stays the same.  Type of booking does not affect how the FCC is applied.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Change the name to whoever you want.  THEN cancel.  FCC goes the name on the booking at time of cancellation.

Easy peasy.

OR someone posted that they booked the new cruise under the cruiser's name that had the FCC and then after final payment changed the guests name to the new person.  Disclaimer  I have not tried it personally just read about it on here.  Might be a good option if you don't know yet who the new second person will be