St Thomas with 5 ships in port

serene56

We are on Carnival Magic come February.    There are 5 ships in port.   3 at the port we are docking.    We are the last to arrive. 

We booked a Magens Bay and Paradise Tram.  Vendor will pick us up at noon.

is this a crazy idea-- how crowded will that beach be by the time we arrive?   How easy will it be to get two chairs?

Must be a Tuesday, the locals call it cruise ship Tuesday 5-6 ships. No reason to book a tram, it is literally across the street from the cruise dock, maybe a 3 minute walk, what are you paying someone for? Magen's Bay will be the busiest beach, not the best, but the busiest. Traffic is the worst part of Tuesdays, especially Waterfront St.

26 minutes ago, coevan said:

no it's not St Thomas

Definitely not St. Thomas!

The only beach in St. Thomas we have seen crowded was Magen's Bay!   We have friends who live and work on St. Thomas,   they say to go somewhere not on the tourists list for beaches and fun.  

Take a boat trip to St. Johns!   It is much better than St. Thomas!

Of course Magen's Bay will be crowded, but if you are able, walk to the right for about 5 minutes and the crowds will thin out.  Stop near the furthest rest station and you might be on the least crowded part of that beach.

Five ships may seem a lot, but I would make my excursion choice by the passenger load.  With 5 ships, that can be as little as 14,000 or as many as 25,000.  If you decide that Magens will be too busy for your comfort, there are plenty of other beaches in St Thomas to visit.

7 hours ago, serene56 said:

We are on Carnival Magic come February.    There are 5 ships in port.   3 at the port we are docking.    We are the last to arrive. 

We booked a Magens Bay and Paradise Tram.  Vendor will pick us up at noon.

is this a crazy idea-- how crowded will that beach be by the time we arrive?   How easy will it be to get two chairs?

We were just there yesterday and we only had 2 ships docked in Crown Bay. I don't know how many were docked at Charlotte Amalie but there was no problem getting chairs and the beach is so wide I don't think you'll find it that crowded.

Bill

13 hours ago, coevan said:

St. John, St Johns is in Antigua.

Oops,  I guess extra s slipped in somehow!   But, St. John, VI.,  does have better beaches IMHO!:classic_smile:   And most of the island is a US National Park!  

Here's a link to check out most info about St. John,VI.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=St.+John+VI

Edited by jwjax

2 hours ago, serene56 said:

what is a price for a cab to Coki beach?

Might depend on which dock you are at?  We were just went to Sapphire Beach last week from Havensight and it was $10 per person, per way.  I don't think Coki is too much further.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, S.S.Oceanlover said:

We were just there yesterday and we only had 2 ships docked in Crown Bay.

Carnival at Crown Bay, are you sure? Carnival usually docks at Havensite

1 hour ago, HangryGrl said:

I don't think Coki is too much further.

Coki is closer then Sapphire and much less rocky