Price Reduction

Dwalkerdave

7 hours ago, slug33ukuk said:

We have just changed our booking as the price was reduced by £400pp for an inside cabin...we sent a friendly email to Princess who informed us we could cancel and re book for £100 admin fee and lose some OBC, ~(they only do it once) We then booked and selected an OUTSIDE CABIN kept £500 obc and still saved over£200 pp...gotta be happy with that.

That's an excellent outcome.  Given that Princess and P&O are both Carnival subsidiaries it's odd, isn't it, that they clearly operate different policies.

2 hours ago, docco said:

That's an excellent outcome.  Given that Princess and P&O are both Carnival subsidiaries it's odd, isn't it, that they clearly operate different policies.

Princess must have introduced the admin fee recently we had 2 price reductions 5 years ago on one 7 night cruise, as a family of 9 we saved over £4000 with the 2 price matches.  As you say such a pity P&O don't offer the same system.

2 hours ago, docco said:

As I see it, P&O have a sensible policy. If you book a select fare and at a later date choose to upgrade to a higher grade of cabin, you can do do by paying an admin fee and the difference between what you paid for the cabin and what the higher grade cabin would have cost at the time of booking. For those who book at the cheapest time, usually early, this can mean the upgrade can seem to be good value compared to the fare existing when the upgrade is requested and paid for.

There may be occasions when fares drop compared to a fare paid at a ‘more expensive’ time. Cancelling, forfeiting the deposit paid and rebooking at the lower existing price is an option that could work out cheaper. Flexible pricing policies allow this situation to happen. 

When booking, you get the chance to indicate that if an upgrade is offered close to sailing, you will accept it, even though it is unlikely to be a massive improvement. On occasions, P&O may offer a paid upgrade in order that they can manage their cabins more effectively. This doesn’t seem to happen often and is not something passengers can initiate.

If my understanding is correct, and I think it is, it seems an entirely reasonable policy.

5 hours ago, docco said:

But Princess are a wholly American company following US rules. There you have to receive the difference if you spot you cabin at a cheaper price.

After complaints they included U.K. bookings as well but with the $100 fee.

They do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

6 minutes ago, daiB said:

But Princess are a wholly American company following US rules. There you have to receive the difference if you spot you cabin at a cheaper price.

After complaints they included U.K. bookings as well but with the $100 fee.

They do not do it out of the goodness of their hearts.

Very few (if any) companies do anything out of the goodness of their hearts - they exist to make profits for their shareholders.

They could, of course, have ignored the complaints and done nothing, but they presumably felt that it would cost them less in the longer term to pay heed to them and change their practice.

Logically, then, if P&O customers complained as effectively as the Princess customers, P&O would also back down.

Saga offer a sort of price promise (below) so it's feasible - and it might even encourage early booking and improve their cashflow.

Our Price Promise

Should we ever cut our prices or bring in a new special offer later on, we'll work out the difference and pass the value of the saving back to you.

This applies as long as the discounted holiday is the same package offered under the same terms of sale (which means the full terms that apply to your holiday contract, including your cabin grade and whether your cabin is allocated at the time of booking or at embarkation). Ad-hoc services are excluded. In calculating any possible saving due, we’ll take into consideration all offers and discounts that were applied at the time of booking and compare the overall price that you’ve been charged with the current price. We will pass on the value of the saving in the form of a higher grade cabin, on-board credit or other added value benefit.

3 minutes ago, docco said:

Very few (if any) companies do anything out of the goodness of their hearts - they exist to make profits for their shareholders.

They could, of course, have ignored the complaints and done nothing, but they presumably felt that it would cost them less in the longer term to pay heed to them and change their practice.

Logically, then, if P&O customers complained as effectively as the Princess customers, P&O would also back down.

Saga offer a sort of price promise (below) so it's feasible - and it might even encourage early booking and improve their cashflow.

Our Price Promise

Should we ever cut our prices or bring in a new special offer later on, we'll work out the difference and pass the value of the saving back to you.

This applies as long as the discounted holiday is the same package offered under the same terms of sale (which means the full terms that apply to your holiday contract, including your cabin grade and whether your cabin is allocated at the time of booking or at embarkation). Ad-hoc services are excluded. In calculating any possible saving due, we’ll take into consideration all offers and discounts that were applied at the time of booking and compare the overall price that you’ve been charged with the current price. We will pass on the value of the saving in the form of a higher grade cabin, on-board credit or other added value benefit.

The point is that it is US law. They would not be doing it in the first place for anyone unless they were forced to. 

50 minutes ago, daiB said:

The point is that it is US law. They would not be doing it in the first place for anyone unless they were forced to. 

I’m sorry. I misunderstood you. I thought you said that the complaints obliged them to include UK customers, rather than the US law covering non-US citizens as well.

4 hours ago, pete14 said:

As I see it, P&O have a sensible policy. If you book a select fare and at a later date choose to upgrade to a higher grade of cabin, you can do do by paying an admin fee and the difference between what you paid for the cabin and what the higher grade cabin would have cost at the time of booking. For those who book at the cheapest time, usually early, this can mean the upgrade can seem to be good value compared to the fare existing when the upgrade is requested and paid for.

There may be occasions when fares drop compared to a fare paid at a ‘more expensive’ time. Cancelling, forfeiting the deposit paid and rebooking at the lower existing price is an option that could work out cheaper. Flexible pricing policies allow this situation to happen. 

When booking, you get the chance to indicate that if an upgrade is offered close to sailing, you will accept it, even though it is unlikely to be a massive improvement. On occasions, P&O may offer a paid upgrade in order that they can manage their cabins more effectively. This doesn’t seem to happen often and is not something passengers can initiate.

If my understanding is correct, and I think it is, it seems an entirely reasonable policy.

We recently (dec) had an"upgrade"  10 grades of staterooms  from an obstructed balcony to a normal balcony.....UNFORTUNATELY it was on the deck directly below the lido /pool deck with the buffet as well.....absolute nightmare the noise of sunbeds /tables.. running kids loud music was horrendous ALL hours of the day and night, and early hours....so an UPGRADE is not always a good thing....we just refused an upgrade for our next cruise...

49 minutes ago, slug33ukuk said:

We recently (dec) had an"upgrade"  10 grades of staterooms  from an obstructed balcony to a normal balcony.....UNFORTUNATELY it was on the deck directly below the lido /pool deck with the buffet as well.....absolute nightmare the noise of sunbeds /tables.. running kids loud music was horrendous ALL hours of the day and night, and early hours....so an UPGRADE is not always a good thing....we just refused an upgrade for our next cruise...

Sound policy.  Leaving the upgrade option in place is a very risky practice, and personally I'd never be prepared to risk any cabin or suite I hadn't carefully selected after checking it out thoroughly - far too much at stake.

We do have upgrades in place at the moment, but only because the only possible upgrades are to genuinely superior accommodation which I know I'd be happy with.

4 minutes ago, docco said:

Sound policy.  Leaving the upgrade option in place is a very risky practice, and personally I'd never be prepared to risk any cabin or suite I hadn't carefully selected after checking it out thoroughly - far too much at stake.

We do onhave upgrades in place at the moment, but only because the only possible upgrades are to genuinely superior accommodation which I know I'd be happy with.

On paper ours was a superior cabin which we would have been happy with....its unfortunate about location...lol....to be fare we have been lucky until now with good cabin upgrades....but I thing will change now

3 hours ago, daiB said:

Dai, Princess cruises UK is totally separate to the Princess US operation, even when booking a US departing cruise you do this in sterling and pay the UK company and your booking is subject to their UK t&cs and is ABTA/ATOL protected, just like any other UK travel company.

On 12/16/2018 at 10:35 PM, daiB said:

The general perception now is that it is best to book very early. Ie as soon as possible.

Disagree completely with that.

Booked very late and got ours at least half the price it was when it was released.  I watched one the other day  go up £500 overnight. Was £1999 on the Thursday, and on Friday it was up to £2499.  2 days later, down again.  Plus, it was more than £2499 when it came out.

'Fluid pricing' is so unfair to people in many ways.  Who wants to know that the £3000 they paid for their 28 night cruise was reduced to £1400 a few months later for exactly the same cabin grade?

I understand sales.....but this up and down from one day to the next is misleading.

10 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Booked very late and got ours at least half the price it was when it was released.  I watched one the other day  go up £500 overnight. Was £1999 on the Thursday, and on Friday it was up to £2499.  2 days later, down again.  Plus, it was more than £2499 when it came out.

'Fluid pricing' is so unfair to people in many ways.  Who wants to know that the £3000 they paid for their 28 night cruise was reduced to £1400 a few months later for exactly the same cabin grade?

I understand sales.....but this up and down from one day to the next is misleading.

You will always find an exception. I did say in general. I follow many forums and the complaints that the prices have risen far outweigh those about price drops. Most of the latter turn out to be concerning cruises purchased at an expensive time and not on day one. On my last 20 cruises non have dropped below the price I paid on day one.

7 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

That's likely to be a controversial post - though I fully accept your point.  I do tend to book right at the outset now, because what I'm looking for is very specific and the chances of getting it later are slim, but there are certainly bargains to be had later.

I'm fully aware that the prices I paid when I booked early could well come down at some point, but there is a marked reluctance among some early bookers to accept that that can ever happen.

1 minute ago, docco said:

That's likely to be a controversial post - though I fully accept your point.  I do tend to book right at the outset now, because what I'm looking for is very specific and the chances of getting it later are slim, but there are certainly bargains to be had later.

I'm fully aware that the prices I paid when I booked early could well come down at some point, but there is a marked reluctance among some early bookers to accept that that can ever happen.

Yes, As Ive just read above.

Ive not seen a cruise that HASN'T dropped in price..........not in the last few years anyway.

1 hour ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Yes, As Ive just read above.

Ive not seen a cruise that HASN'T dropped in price..........not in the last few years anyway.

You must be looking at a different cruise line.

18 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

No, P&O. I havent seen one that doesnt, at some point, drop below opening prices.

You're probably right - but that's always a controversial viewpoint in these forums for some bizarre reason (presumably because people don't like to accept that someone's got a better price than they did) and some people simply will not accept that.

If you get a better price than I did, good luck to you!  Well done - there are bargains to be had from time to time because of fluid pricing, and nobody can ever say with absolute certainty that they got the lowest price (unless they're constantly refreshing a web page 24 hours a day from booking to cruise date!).

There was a website (Cruiseville) that gave historic prices (and proved your point) but sadly it's no longer around.

1 hour ago, docco said:

You're probably right - but that's always a controversial viewpoint in these forums for some bizarre reason (presumably because people don't like to accept that someone's got a better price than they did) and some people simply will not accept that.

If you get a better price than I did, good luck to you!  Well done - there are bargains to be had from time to time because of fluid pricing, and nobody can ever say with absolute certainty that they got the lowest price (unless they're constantly refreshing a web page 24 hours a day from booking to cruise date!).

There was a website (Cruiseville) that gave historic prices (and proved your point) but sadly it's no longer around.

There was that cruise site and if it was still there I could show I am correct.

i don’t care if people get a better deal, never have. Had we had this discussion 5/6 years ago then I would have agreed with you. But in the last 4/5 years things have changed. All I am doing is giving advice to others. In general if they want the best deal then at the moment first day is best. Booking 3 to 12 month after that time is generally the worst. You may get a deal close to the opening price very late.

It is more important to book early if you want of need the following.

1. A popular cruise, eg Christmas.

2. A suite

3. An adapted cabin

4. Booking with children, in school holidays

5. A specific cruise and you have no flexibility.

28 minutes ago, daiB said:

It is more important to book early if you want of need the following.

1. A popular cruise, eg Christmas.

2. A suite

3. An adapted cabin

4. Booking with children, in school holidays

5. A specific cruise and you have no flexibility.

I'd certainly agree with you there - and that's exactly why I book at the earliest opportunity.  Our requirements aren't too exacting or specific, except in one important regard: we do want a suite, and it's only a very limited number that are acceptable.

Having said that, I have found one matching the requirements at bargain prices (lower than the initial price, and confirmed by Cruiseville as such) on a couple of occasions.  It does happen from time to time, but I admit that one of those occasions was post Costa Concordia when bookings plummeted and cancellations rocketed! 

We may be coming up for another of those golden buying opportunities quite soon if there's a no-deal Brexit and visiting ports on cruises proves problematic.

54 minutes ago, docco said:

I'd certainly agree with you there - and that's exactly why I book at the earliest opportunity.  Our requirements aren't too exacting or specific, except in one important regard: we do want a suite, and it's only a very limited number that are acceptable.

Having said that, I have found one matching the requirements at bargain prices (lower than the initial price, and confirmed by Cruiseville as such) on a couple of occasions.  It does happen from time to time, but I admit that one of those occasions was post Costa Concordia when bookings plummeted and cancellations rocketed! 

We may be coming up for another of those golden buying opportunities quite soon if there's a no-deal Brexit and visiting ports on cruises proves problematic.

Dont take Cruiseville website as gospel they do not always show all prices and even then some are inaccurate. We have booked a cruise which we paid a lot less than what the lowest price was ever shown on the website and at present is over 40% dearer than what we paid for a cruise in May which we booked in Sept 2018.