Blissmas Trip Report - Dec 22-29/2018

marktwothousand

I am sailing the NCL Bliss December 22-29 and creating this thread for a trip report, and also to reserve the use of the word “Blissmas” 🙂 I am hoping to submit a trip report or review, not sure if it will be an ongoing report or a post-sailing report.

I know many questions have been asked and answered about the Bliss already, but, if there are still any you can think of, send and I’ll do my best. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trip report begins for 22-29 Blissmas Christmas 2018

Embarkation

It went very smoothly. We arrived at the port for 12 PM and although there was massive lineups, they were constantly moving. Me and me family were supposed to be in separate terminals (B & C) and I was concerned it would be an issue in checking in but it was not, they let us go into B. The only delay because of the two terminal separation was for the lady to go a little further to get my keycard. (5 minutes maybe)

I am travelling with one family member, two people I know from my home city, and meeting up with one past cruiser. This would be my fourth cruise, two Epic Meds, one Excape Miami and this one. It is my first Christmas Cruise.

Day 1 - Saturday

My first plan by the time we got on at 1 PM, was to check out the Observation lounge. To my surprise, they also actually have food here. This lounge is as beautiful as everyone says it is. Also, it is much bigger than it looks. Although most people focus, in their reviews, about the small portion with the big windows up front, the lounge actually takes up nearly half the deck in a U shape. There are three salad and light sandwich buffets. The furniture and decor is very high end. Most of the time it is fairly quiet, but occasionally they have entertainers after 8 PM. I have not had a huge issue with stinky feet on the furniture and nappers taking up couches. I’ve seen a couple, but that’s about it. Some kids were playing in a pillow fort, but again, not a disturbance and it was kept to the corner. So for anyone concerns with the amount of reviews talking of napping and feet all over the place - this has NOT been my experience.

By 2 PM, I finally met up with someone of the other people I’m travelling with.

Rooms were ready by 2 PM. But here’s the clincher: I didn’t get my luggage until a whopping 6:30 PM!!! I have never had luggage delivered so late, and there were several events I needed to get ready for. I normally am not in a rush, but because there were things I needed in there (and YES, I did pack a temporary carry on, but not prepared for a 7 PM luggage delivery) so with a few calls, they managed to pull my case and get it to me in time. I was getting panicky it might have got lost in port. 

Day 1 also included muster in the theatre, which went smoothly, but was VERY busy, I attended the sailaway party after 4 PM up top. As one of my group is a first time cruiser, it was exciting to be there with him seeing it for the first time. Then, After doing the solo meetup at 5ish, I met with another group at 7 PM and then went to the welcome evening party after 10 PM at Spice. There was A ton of dancing, and afterward, it moves in to The Social on deck 6.

Contrary to what I understood, the Social IS a full closed-off nightclub with LED screens on the ceiling AND on the stage, projecting colourful patterns as the DJ plays. Several drinks got dropped on the dance floor, and each time it happens, the floor is cleared and then its back to business as usual. It was an amazing night of new friends and fun, and for anyone who doesn’t think Bliss can be a party ship, I’ll challenge that any day 🙂

Day 2 - Sunday at Sea

Guess what day 2 means for us all on CC? Meet and Mingle! Although our M&G roll call was among the quietest I have been on, the meet up went very well, hors d’oeuvres were served and officers gave a few minutes of remarks. @SimplySuzy did an excellent job of organizing it and passing around the microphone for all the guests to share greetings was an added touch. After this, we did the Slot Pull. No luck, but lots of fun. At that point, I had to check out as I was feeling last night, so I missed pub crawl. I spent the afternoon watching a couple of game shows, Deal or No Deal and 55 to stay alive. Met a group of friends at 7, but wanted to save my energy. I hadn’t quite found my “cruise rhythm” yet and tried several times unsuccessfully to nap.

Tonight was the 80s party, which was cancelled on the top deck due to rain, and moved into the Social. I was still feeling last night, and having not been able to attain any naps or get a full sleep, I mainly watched the festivities from the sidelines tonight in order to save myself for Day 3.

Day 3 - Christmas Eve - Monday at Sea

Lots of Christmastey types of things going on today, tons of people in ugly Christmas sweaters and fun garb. I mainly hung out for the afternoon at Spice, where I witnessed people who just got married. The bride was in a beautiful white dress while the gentlemen sported traditional Scottish kilts.

Solo travellers meetups continued, with our hostess finally coming through with rezzies. She confirmed I would be able to Go Kart Wednesday @ 9.

Tonight was 10:45 Dancing through the Decades party, which the entertainment staff did a great job hosting once again. I got convinced to dance on stage with some other passengers when it was still mostly empty, and it was awesome to see that after 2-3 people were up there, the floodgates just opened and the next thing I knew...BAM!!! I was surrounded by people dancing all around me.

They party moved into the Social which once again got messy. Spilled drinks and ugly sweaters and LED antlers abound, but all in the name of Christmas Fun! Another crazy night for the books followed by a group dinner at the Local.

Bedtime...4+ AM. For the third night in a row.

A quick note about service and other mid-week comments...

As this is about the mid-point of the cruise, its a good time for some general remarks and observations. I have had no bad experiences with service, other than the long delivery of luggage. In fact it has been quite the opposite. Considering this is a full Christmas cruise, my room has been done on time, sometimes twice a day, never had to wait for drinks at the bar, other than for a person or two in front of me. And they always give me a paper straw on request when they’re available. I am happy to be leaving $1-$2 tips for the bartenders and table staff and $5 fivers for my steward. Really, I have had no issues with service up to this day. There is an error in the Freestyle Daily which I reported on day 1, which still has not been corrected - The Social - one of the major venues on this ship, is absent from the list of venues. I pointed this out to entertainment staff who took note.

Also, the other thing I couldn’t leave out of my review at this point... the people. Everyone I have met on this cruise has been totally amazing so far. So many different groups of friends, and people here with families. Everyone is doing a tough balancing act of spending time with families, while also getting out there and meeting new groups. This is a vacation, but a Christmas Cruise can take a lot outta ya...in a good way.

Day 4 - Christmas Day - Tuesday - USVI

A review of this day will likely follow.

I have spent the day on board, which was my plan (I don’t usually get off at ports). I planned to spend today writing this report and catching up on internet from home. I have had no service on board, so I knew I would have a deluge of messages when I got back online today. It’s been “Bliss” being disconnected, but alas, the real world beckons. I log on to learn there’s been a tsunami and the Leafs are in 2nd place. Merry Smas everyone. More to come, hopefully.

Edited by marktwothousand
  • Like 1

Last night, just out of cell service range, we stopped in port for 1-2 hours just after pushing off, to offload a passenger due to a medical emergency. Approx 6 PM.

We proceeded and arrived on time to the BVI today. I am not planning on debarking but from what I can see, the place looks more African than British. Not nearly as developed as the USVI. 

More to come.

12 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

$5/day for the cabin steward on top of the service charge?  Just my opinion, of course, but I think that borders on overtipping.

We often tip our steward a lot more than that at the end of the trip. Tipping (or not) in these situations is completely at the individual's discretion. If we have a good/great steward, we tip accordingly. If we are not impressed (which has only happened once), we tip a nominal amount. 

I'm enjoying reading the report!

2 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Last night, just out of cell service range, we stopped in port for 1-2 hours just after pushing off, to offload a passenger due to a medical emergency. Approx 6 PM.

We proceeded and arrived on time to the BVI today. I am not planning on debarking but from what I can see, the place looks more African than British. Not nearly as developed as the USVI. 

More to come.

What does that mean looks more African than British?   And all this from a port side view on a ship?    

• Like 2