Need to purchase coffee pkg for a decent cup of coffee??

Sun Lakes Cruiser

Is it true you can't get a decent cup of coffee on the Royal unless you buy a coffee package??  (Only thing available some sort of liquid mix in Horizon court??) My husband drinks a lot of coffee and it seems if we buy the package he can get good brewed coffee with no restriction on how many cups at a special coffee bar) and Can share any specialty coffee with me.(15 limit)???..Regular brewed coffee not included in the 15?? Am I reading the rules correctly?  We have done 22 cruises and never had to pay for a decent cup of coffee before...seems frustrating!!

• Like 1

The Royal has filtered coffee machines in the buffet & dining rooms that’s made from ground coffee.  Taste is subjective but to me that coffee is good & better than on other non-Royal class ships which uses coffee concentrate.

If that's unacceptable then he can purchase a cup of brewed coffee at the International Cafe or pay for a coffee program for about $35.  I’d recommend having it in his name because unlimited brewed coffee is for the purchaser & the 15 specialty coffees are useable by either of you.

Now that it’s electronically attached to a cruise card & no longer a paper card to share the owner will likely need to get the coffees.

I haven't sailed on the Royal but have on her sister, the Regal. As others have said the coffee is brewed and not the syrup found on the other ships. I found the syrup stuff almost undrinkable but the Regal's brew was definitely acceptable. I agree with you, it is ridiculous that you have to pay for a decent cup of coffee and I hope that one day they will convert the rest of the older fleet to brewed in all venues.

59 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

... I hope that one day they will convert the rest of the older fleet to brewed in all venues.

How would Carnival corporation get rid of the smokestack ash if they offered only brewed coffee?  🤡

Eye bee cruising 😇

Edited by neverbeenhere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sun Lakes Cruiser said:

Is it true you can't get a decent cup of coffee on the Royal unless you buy a coffee package??  (Only thing available some sort of liquid mix in Horizon court??) My husband drinks a lot of coffee and it seems if we buy the package he can get good brewed coffee with no restriction on how many cups at a special coffee bar) and Can share any specialty coffee with me.(15 limit)???..Regular brewed coffee not included in the 15?? Am I reading the rules correctly?  We have done 22 cruises and never had to pay for a decent cup of coffee before...seems frustrating!!

Got my first coffee card on the Sapphire this month. I was very disappointed at the brewed coffee; Arabica. The IC only has a standard brew (no bold). You can add a shot of espresso to make it stronger. I really didn't see a significant difference between their regular roast and the Horizon offering, IMHO. The decaf lattes were nice to have after dinner in the MDR.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sun Lakes Cruiser said:

Thanks ... thought Royal had the "syrup" stuff...If I can share the specialties it is probably worth the coffee pkg...

The 15 specialty espresso drinks with the coffee package can be shared, but you have to be there as they will be attached to your account via your cruise card or medallion.

Is it also an option to order coffee in bars and in the restaurants (not the buffet)?  I thought I remembered that the coffee is OK in the MDR and the bars i.e. brewed.  Also can order espresso and capuccino and just pay for that.  You do not have to have the coffee card.

5 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Is it also an option to order coffee in bars and in the restaurants (not the buffet)?  I thought I remembered that the coffee is OK in the MDR and the bars i.e. brewed.  Also can order espresso and capuccino and just pay for that.  You do not have to have the coffee card.

Most bars do not have coffee. The Princess Live bar on the Royal & Regal does have espresso drinks, but I don't think they have the brewed coffee. In the MDR you can order espresso an capuccino. There is a charge. MDR coffee is the same as the coffee served in the buffet area, depending on the ship.