“LIVE FROM” 2019 Oceania Insignia World Cruise, Jan. 11-July 11

Go-Bucks!

18 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

And we were definitely not the only ones who didn't go.

Fair enough.

Though I am surprised to hear that about people who are adventurous enough to sail for 6 months all over the world.

We were there twice and each time the problem was that there were not enough spaces to accommodate everyone who was interested in going.

19 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Fair enough.

Though I am surprised to hear that about people who are adventurous enough to sail for 6 months all over the world.

We were there twice and each time the problem was that there were not enough spaces to accommodate everyone who was interested in going.

"Different strokes for different folks."  I think the term "adventurous" can have many meanings. 

Edited by Go-Bucks!

24 minutes ago, Go-Bucks! said:

"Different strokes for different folks."  I think the term "adventurous" can have many meanings. 

Completely agree, knowing your limits is not only essential for a trip of that length, but also possibly a courtesy to those on a trip with you. 

So how is it going? Living up to your expectations? How’s Oceania doing? Do you have any top tips? 

I also want to say thank you for your great posts. I doubt I will ever be lucky enough to do this type of trip, but I’m really enjoying and appreciating the time you have taken to share your adventures with us 🙂

Tha day to day minutiae onboard intrigues me 🙂

17 hours ago, ToxM said:

Completely agree, knowing your limits is not only essential for a trip of that length, but also possibly a courtesy to those on a trip with you. 

So how is it going? Living up to your expectations? How’s Oceania doing? Do you have any top tips? 

I also want to say thank you for your great posts. I doubt I will ever be lucky enough to do this type of trip, but I’m really enjoying and appreciating the time you have taken to share your adventures with us 🙂

Tha day to day minutiae onboard intrigues me 🙂

Thank you for your kind words.  

We're not disabled or have mobility issues,  but were told that the walk was long and steep...some who returned verified that. Plus, the dragons just hold no interest for us. Nuff said.  

Yes, we're loving this cruise!!  Exceeds all expectations so far (6+ weeks for us...we got on in LA). Oceania has gone way above and beyond to make this a special experience...parties, luncheons, high quality crafts, enrichment lectures, and excellent food and service.  No complaints from me. And I've met so many fine people (passengers and staff/crew) who have made this a very memorable time.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

I know you did a lot a research prior to this cruise, so now that you are 1/4 of the way in, 2 questions please.

Are there any items you packed which you don't think you really needed to,

In hindsight, are there any items you wish you had included in your packing ?

Kinda hard to figure that out yet. I did buy my own shower gel because I didn't like using their combo shampoo/shower gel as shower gel. Also bought a foot stool in Hawaii to prop my feet up on the balcony...it was too big to bring from home in a plane. All my extra toiletries and "stuff" that I don't use regularly are in an open suitcase under my bed. Since Japan and China might be cool, I have a light coat, gloves, hat and scarf down there. We are blessed that our Penthouse suite has alot of storage space so we had room to put everything away...nothing hung on walls. I  might be able to give you a better answer toward the end of the trip if you remind me.  😉

• Like 2

17 hours ago, See_More said:

Spectacular jumping crocodile tours, Darwin Australia.  Checkers (identified by territory)   calls out to executive chef Mario Santoro: Pick me, pick me!  

3957EECB-45D4-499A-8E73-590761856EC9.png

This should be one of those “Best Caption” photos . I can see lots of funny things coming in - or is that my warped sense of humor that says he looks like he’s laughing out loud !! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Kinda hard to figure that out yet. I did buy my own shower gel because I didn't like using their combo shampoo/shower gel as shower gel. Also bought a foot stool in Hawaii to prop my feet up on the balcony...it was too big to bring from home in a plane. All my extra toiletries and "stuff" that I don't use regularly are in an open suitcase under my bed. Since Japan and China might be cool, I have a light coat, gloves, hat and scarf down there. We are blessed that our Penthouse suite has alot of storage space so we had room to put everything away...nothing hung on walls. I  might be able to give you a better answer toward the end of the trip if you remind me.  😉

It would be nice too if several folks would post their house preparation list for preparing your home to be vacant for 6 months.

15 hours ago, tvlbum said:

It would be nice too if several folks would post their house preparation list for preparing your home to be vacant for 6 months.

In my case, prepay 6 months rent, ask my neighbor to collect my mail, turn out the lights, and lock the door...

Apartment living does have its advantages.😉😊

I see you guys are in Bali today.  Curious to see what you do, especially if it's NOT a ship-sponsored excursion, just how hot/humid it is, and what's around the port, if anything - for example, shuttle going anywhere or lots of people offering tours?

My husband is disappointed that our cruise later this year doesn't include Komodo.  But at least it includes Bali, which sounds like a very interesting place.

I took a 6 hour long ship's tour to Bali Terraces and Ulun Danu Temple.  Was okay...

The ship docks at the East Wharf Jetty, Benoa Port, Bali.   There is a small number of vendor's at the terminal building, but it is a considerable distance to 'town'.'

I am quoting this from the "Current's":

"Due to the influence and strength of Bali's taxi union, a shuttle service is unavailable for Oceania Cruises and our guests.  Although beyond our control, we regret any inconvenience this may cause in your visit to Bali."

Whether today was fairly mild...not too hot, but we did encounter scattered showers at various times.

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I see you guys are in Bali today.  Curious to see what you do, especially if it's NOT a ship-sponsored excursion, just how hot/humid it is, and what's around the port, if anything - for example, shuttle going anywhere or lots of people offering tours?

My husband is disappointed that our cruise later this year doesn't include Komodo.  But at least it includes Bali, which sounds like a very interesting place.

This was our first day in Bali, we're overnighting then leave at 3pm tomorrow.  Today we took a tour to a place that makes batik fabric, visited 2 temples and got to see small towns and countryside.  The temples were the Royal Temple and Tanah Lot temple.  Since this is our first time here, we decided to do tours. 

It was hot (I'm guessing in the 80's) but not too humid.  After walking around for 45 min, though, I was pretty "moist."  :classic_rolleyes: 

There are a couple small shops in the cruise terminal and others just outside of it.  But I didn't see anyone selling private tours...doesn't mean there weren't, I just didn't see any.  No shuttles available...as the Currents said, "Due to the influence and strength of Bali's taxi union, a shuttle service is unavailable for Oceania Cruises and our guests."

1 hour ago, bob brown said:

I took a 6 hour long ship's tour to Bali Terraces and Ulun Danu Temple.  Was okay...

The ship docks at the East Wharf Jetty, Benoa Port, Bali.   There is a small number of vendor's at the terminal building, but it is a considerable distance to 'town'.'

"Due to the influence and strength of Bali's taxi union, a shuttle service is unavailable for Oceania Cruises and our guests.  Although beyond our control, we regret any inconvenience this may cause in your visit to Bali."

Whether today was fairly mild...not too hot, but we did encounter scattered showers at various times.

bob brown & go bucks, thanks for the information.  I'm not the least surprised about the lack of shuttle, but really, I don't think there's much in Benoa that would interest most people for more than an hour or two.   But I could be wrong. 

Our cruise leaves from Bali but doesn't stay overnight.  Therefore, we'll be going in a few days early, and probably arranging our own car tours before we leave home.  It sounds like it takes a long time to travel anywhere much due to slow roads and lots of traffic (for example Tanah Lot), but that the vendors are at least willing to spend a lot of time driving around - if the customers are!   

I've been looking on Marine Traffic for cruise ships going to Bali, and there haven't been many. I also haven't found any webcams or other things like that, so will be very appreciative of any impressions or info you guys can share. 

bob - doesn't sound like much in the way of trains.  I'll be interested to see whatt your "mission" in Benoa  is!  

go bucks - interested in how you found Tanah Lot - way too overcrowded, magical or something in between?!

Thanks. 

6 hours ago, bob brown said:

8 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

We got off the ship, wove through the members of the taxi union and happened upon Dusty. (Agoes Dusty - pdusty@hotmail.com) we said we wanted to hire him for four hours. He said $20 per person. Being more than a fair price, we hired him without negotiation. We went to the GWK statue that sits on a mountain looking over Bali. AMAZING! He then took us to a delightful restaurant (we bought him lunch) to the Uluwatu temple on a high cliff at the end of the island and then for the special local coffee. It was a fabulous, hot and humid, amazing day. Dusty is taking us out again today. We paid him $30 each at the end of SEVEN hours and he was amazed and thankful. His English was strong and the same for his attitude. We'll tip even more today. Great day!

• Like 1

Mar.16.2019 Bali, Indonesia.  Visited Elephant caves, National rice fields, several Buddhist temples and Bird park.  We bumped into Ray Carr and got additional insight from our feathered friends.

E8C1A6A7-0F61-48BC-AF62-CFE52DB6914A.jpeg

Edited by See_More
  • Like 3