MDR ..to go boxes?

resq2u

I rarely eat all my dinner. I like to save it tho and munch on it later before bed. Will the MDR let me take my left overs to my cabin.  Will they have plastic wrap? I will have a fridg? I dont want to waste food by ordering room service for a snack before bed...

Edited by resq2u
left something off

Some will let you take it with you some will not. Seems to be up to the discretion of the MD.

Once had a case where DW was not feeling well and they wanted to have it delivered by room service. Pointed out she was sleeping and didnt want to wake her for no reason and they insisted I could not take it for health reasons.

Pointed out could take food from buffet without issues and they insisted I could not take it with me. 

they dont have plastic wrap   they do have lids for the plate.    Portions on the ship are very small        Your fridge is a glorified cooler.  I dont know if I would keep food in there for an extended period of time.    There are other places to get food other then room service  (up til 11 you have the deli  and pizza 24 hours)    

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cruiseman38 said:

I usually order a cheese plate to take back to my room once done with dinner.  Never had an issue in six cruises, all on different ships.  They gave me the cover for the plate to transported.

a cheese plate is different from actually food which should be at a certain temp or the person will get sick

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, resq2u said:

I rarely eat all my dinner. I like to save it tho and munch on it later before bed. Will the MDR let me take my left overs to my cabin.  Will they have plastic wrap? I will have a fridg? I dont want to waste food by ordering room service for a snack before bed...

Food should be stored at below 40F or above 140F.  Is not safe to keep it in the mini coolers in the room that the temperature will be above the danger zone.  Plenty of food on the ship to get late night that is safe.

35 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Some will let you take it with you some will not. Seems to be up to the discretion of the MD.

Once had a case where DW was not feeling well and they wanted to have it delivered by room service. Pointed out she was sleeping and didnt want to wake her for no reason and they insisted I could not take it for health reasons.

Pointed out could take food from buffet without issues and they insisted I could not take it with me. 

You're forgetting the other time you did this when your son couldn't come to the dining room and the same thing happened. In cases like these stopping by the lido and making a plate is always an option for you. 

They allowed us to take dinners to my mother, she has mobility issues and the dining room was more of a walk than she cared to make.  Our server was great about sending her food, and even sent extras.  We were given the food on the plates with a cover, and several napkins to carry them as the plates were hot. Kudos to them!

Which is not what you asked, but an example of how, in our experience, staff has always gone out of their way to accommodate. 

wonderful responses and i hate to tell yall but we always leave our cheese out at least an hour overnight is best (wrapped in plastic) it just tastes better! We are just old country folks but hoop cheese is usually always left on the counter !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joseph2017China said:

Food should be stored at below 40F or above 140F.  Is not safe to keep it in the mini coolers in the room that the temperature will be above the danger zone.  Plenty of food on the ship to get late night that is safe.

Above 140F??      What does this mean?  :classic_huh:  +

Most cabin fridges maintain around 50 degrees.   It is safe to put food in there for a while, but not for extended periods of time.

I don't think my cabin fridge ever goes above 50F or so.  If it does, I will call service and have it replaced!

1 hour ago, jwjax said:

Most cabin fridges maintain around 50 degrees.   It is safe to put food in there for a while, but not for extended periods of time.

I don't think my cabin fridge ever goes above 50F or so.  If it does, I will call service and have it replaced!

Between 40 and 140 degrees is called the danger zone.  The temperature zone where bacteria grows. 

• Like 1

I have never had an issue with this.
If you develop a rapport with your servers, and explain that you hate to "waste" food and would like to finish it for a snack later that evening, they are usually very accommodating with getting you a lid for your plate.

As a matter of fact, the only reason I know is because I was lamenting after one particularly delicious meal that I couldn't finish my entree (had a big lunch in port) and wish I could take the rest back to my room to enjoy later.
The waiter said "we can do that!" and brought a lid and then asked what I wanted for dessert and plated that up "to go".

Ever since then, we get a cheese plate, a fruit plate and a carnival melting cake "to go" to take back to the room for a nice late evening snack to enjoy on the balcony with hot tea or coffee (order from room service, THANK YOU that there isn't going to be a charge for that, for now at least!)

As others have said, your mileage may vary, but if you are friendly and genial with your servers, I can't think of why they wouldn't let you. Especially since Carnival seems to be so interested in reducing food waste and room service!

Personally, I wouldn’t bother with to go from the MDR. You don’t have a true fridge to keep the food at a safe temperature and you certainly don’t have a microwave to re-heat. I always stop by buffet at breakfast and bring some cheese, salami, pastries, and fruit back to the cabin to stash for snacks. 

Agree with others that MDR portions are smaller than American restaurant portions. I rarely finish a full entree at a restaurant but have no issues finishing an app, entree, and dessert in the MDR.

Edited by sanger727

On 1/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, jwjax said:

Prop open the wooden door and the fridge will get colder