Overnight advice

young_ens

Hi Folks,

Just booked a last-minuter for April 6th out of Port Canaveral.    We're flying in the previous day, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hotels (I'm open to staying in either Orlando or PC) and/or for a car service to get from Orlando to PC? 

Many thanks!

You'll get more info on the FL departures board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/386-florida-departures/

But, for us, we just prefer to use Cocoa Beach shuttles and head over to PC for the night. Some people like to hang in Orlando. I just want to be near the port so in the morning it only takes us 10-15 minutes to get to the ship. We have stayed at the Radisson every time and they have a shuttle from the hotel to the ship.

We just used Go Port Canaveral "Snooze and Cruise" in December and it was great.  The package includes hotel (your choice of a few different ones) and transportation both to the port for embarkation and transportation either back to the hotel or to the airport when you return.  We stayed at the Hampton Inn Gateway Village which was nice and near several restaurants.  They have a shuttle that will pick you up from the airport but they will also take you anywhere in a 2 mile radius of the hotel.  The shuttle to and from the port was one of the best we have had.  They use "tour" type buses so it wasn't as crowded as van tranfers and they were super easy to find and quick to leave once we were off the ship.  The cost was only $5 more total for the whole package than just the hotel would have been so it was a no brainer.  Would highly recommend!

https://www.goportcanaveral.com/fly-snooze-cruise/orlando-airport

Used to be that the Country Inn and Suites was closest to the port and you could see the ships from the 3rd floor - not sure if that's the case any more.

We've stayed at the Country Inn and Suites, Quality Inn further south into Cocoa Beach, and also the Radisson (very close to port as well).   The Radisson has an Avis office like 2 blocks South if you wanted to do some one-way rentals from Orlando to PC / Cocoa Beach.    All the rental offices (Avis, Budget, National, Alamo, Dollar all have locations near PC if I remember correctly) offer shuttles to port and back from port.  We have always done one-way rentals as we fly in the day before every cruise.

We cruised out of Port Canaveral a few years back. We rented a car at the Orlando Airport and drove to Cocoa Beach. We stayed at a hotel right next to the pier. It is super easy to drop the rental off in Cocoa Beach and they have a shuttle to the port. Hope this helps.

36 minutes ago, young_ens said:

Hi Folks,

Just booked a last-minuter for April 6th out of Port Canaveral.    We're flying in the previous day, so I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for hotels (I'm open to staying in either Orlando or PC) and/or for a car service to get from Orlando to PC? 

Many thanks!

First of all definitely PC, don't want to deal with morning bus. The next question is up to you. Do you want a $100 economy room or an upscale $250 room?

In October our flight didn’t arrive until late afternoon after any of the shuttles ran so we rented a car through an online travel bidding company for about $60 that we dropped the morning of the cruise and took their free shuttle to the port. I can’t remember which car rental company it was. I also got an express deal from the same company for about $80 for one night at the 4 Points Sheraton which is the hotel connected to the Ron Jon Surf Shop. The hotel was clean and in a great location but it was a little strange in the layout. For one night it was fine. They also had free parking for the night.

Edited by Jerseygirl1416

3 hours ago, coevan said:

First of all definitely PC, don't want to deal with morning bus. The next question is up to you. Do you want a $100 economy room or an upscale $250 room?

Just for a night, I'm fine with economy.

3 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

... we rented a car through an online travel bidding company for about $60 that we dropped the morning of the cruise and took their free shuttle to the port...

I might peruse this sort of avenue too.   By bidding company, you mean priceline or something similar?

Thank for the input from everyone else!

3 minutes ago, young_ens said:

I might peruse this sort of avenue too.   By bidding company, you mean priceline or something similar?

Thank for the input from everyone else!

Yes but I don’t think we’re allowed to mention travel companies by names on this site.

• Thanks 1

We have a family of 5 and will be staying at Homewood Suites in a 2 bedroom 2 bathrooms for $ 216 with AAA discount in Oct. near Orlando airport. They have free shuttle from airport to hotel then in morning getting shuttle service with Cortrans for 40 round trip . The hotel also has free shuttle service in 2 mile radius to restaurants or shopping.

We prefer to stay in Orlando, with 1000's of hotels in every price range.  Lots of budget friendly hotels near MCO to choose from.  We usually rent a car one-way -- lets you stay, dine and shop where you want -- and all of the car rental agencies in PC/Cocoa Beach will shuttle you to the port after you  return the car.

Post cruise, unless you have a late flight (after about 2:00) I would not rent a car - just use one of the shuttles for about $20+ per person to get back to MCO

Have a great cruise! :classic_biggrin:

On 1/10/2019 at 2:03 PM, JohninDC said:

We prefer to stay in Orlando, with 1000's of hotels in every price range.  Lots of budget friendly hotels near MCO to choose from.  We usually rent a car one-way -- lets you stay, dine and shop where you want -- and all of the car rental agencies in PC/Cocoa Beach will shuttle you to the port after you  return the car.

Post cruise, unless you have a late flight (after about 2:00) I would not rent a car - just use one of the shuttles for about $20+ per person to get back to MCO

Have a great cruise! :classic_biggrin:

Alright folks!  Thanks for the tips.   We're renting a car to go to PC, gives us flexibility to sightsee.   This shuttle, is it a complimentary service from the rental agencies?

Post cruise were spending an extra day, flights are half the price.  Might see if Disney interests me for our next vacation (not going in, just seeing the grounds), kids......  

Yes, free shuttles provided by the car rental companies will take you to the port after you return the car.  If you have lots of bags and passengers you might want to drop them at the port, then return the car and ride the shuttle solo.