Danube water levels 2019 and similar topics - plus tips and info

notamermaid

Pfelling has risen to 302cm. With the error margin in the prediction anything between 308cm and 294cm looks possible for tomorrow afternoon. The words "ship swap" keep hanging in the air... Decision time for some companies for late Sunday or Monday? If you are on the river right now please send us a message how you are getting on.

Due to work commitments I cannot post an update before Saturday evening.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Returned from work in an air-conditioned office only to find that somebody at home must have turned up the heating to full blast. 😉 But joking aside, this is quite unpleasant and I am looking forward to the cooler temperatures next week. Which is better for river and fish anyway.

So how is the Danube in Germany doing? Pfelling gauge is at 307cm so at the higher end of the prediction that I mentioned yesterday. Forecast is for a slight fall possibly under 300cm during the night, but as always the river might prove the experts wrong by a few centimetres.

notamermaid

• Like 1

The Danube has decided to prove the experts wrong by a few centimetres and is currently at 287cm, i.e. below the forecast. With rain today, Monday and Thursday across the Danube and its tributaries in Germany we can hope that a rise will happen and the lower temperatures could help in stabilizing it a bit. Will need to see how things develop tomorrow.

notamermaid

10 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Notamermaid, interesting article about cruise ships in Passau (aka Venice & Dubrovnik), Page 7.

am-sonntag-01-09-2019.pdfUnavailable

Thank you, but I get an error message (on my smartphone). I have found it online. Interesting that about third-row parking. If only two ships can be affixed to land electricity then the third will keep using Diesel generators. In Koblenz they were testing third-row. No overnight stays in third row allowed. But on the narrow Moselle near Balduin bridge a safety aspect might be involved. Not sure.

I can also see the argument of not docking at the tip of the land where you see the Ilz confluence with the Danube. It is not a major problem perhaps but one can tell from the photo that it is, well, unsightly.

notamermaid

The Danube has taken a turn for the worse again and kind of reached the bad end of the prediction that was published. Currently 279cm at Pfelling. The new forecast is out and gives us similar figures for the rest of today. A rise could happen tomorrow morning that will bring the gauge back to 290cm again and further into the afternoon the prediction sounds promising, 315cm might be reached. Hmm...

notamermaid

Hi notamermaid,

thank you for all the updates you do, so invaluable.

i am sorry if this has been asked somewhere previously, but at what levels , at he main locks, do we start to concern ourselves with ship swaps etc.

leaving Budapest to Amsterdam sept 11.

thanks and cheers.

Hello markperth,

If I understand your words "at he main locks" correctly you mean at what points/stretches of river, as areas with locks pose few problems. The free-flowing rivers are the greater concern in drought. You start from Budapest so I will take you along from there. In severe drought Hungary and Austria may close sections of the Danube but this is currently not a likely scenario. The first real problem area is upstream of Passau. The free-flowing Danube North of the port of Vilshofen to the port of Straubing is currently a bit on the low side. 290cm at Pfelling has been given by the authorities as a figure from which and under the large ships with a deep draft can get problems with the passage. Decision for sailing lies with the captains/companies as the German authorities do not close the river to traffic. Pfelling is in that stretch. In bad drought problems may stretch further upstream. The Main Danube Canal and the Main are deep and normally not a problem. Then you enter the Rhine at Mainz. There you are well into the free-flowing stretch of the river. Problems start from just downstream from the port of Rüdesheim to just before Koblenz. Kaub is in that stretch and that is the gauge figure I post in the thread on the Rhine. A figure that is not desirable for easy passage is 90cm and under, but again this depends on the ship. The river is not closed to traffic in drought. In severe drought a longer section of the river can get affected. There are no further locks in Germany but the river is dug deep so problems rarely present themselves. The river/canals in the Netherlands have few problems.

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 8/31/2019 at 12:58 PM, notamermaid said:

Returned from work in an air-conditioned office only to find that somebody at home must have turned up the heating to full blast. 😉 But joking aside,  .....

notamermaid:

I am enjoying your very informative posts (as I did last year tracking conditions for another cruise).

Any chance dear MIL is responsible for temperature control when you are not home?  😉😯

Edited by Homerody

2 minutes ago, Homerody said:

notamermaid:

I am enjoying your very informative posts (as I did last year tracking conditions for another cruise).

Any chance dear MIL is responsible for temperature control when you are not home?  😉😯

😁 Other than G.M.T. who might well assume that his MiL is sneaking around his home in his absence, I have no worries on that behalf.

notamermaid

6 hours ago, notamermaid said:

😁 Other than G.M.T. who might well assume that his MiL is sneaking around his home in his absence, I have no worries on that behalf.

notamermaid

When we are not there dear MiL is confined to it's cage.

With regards to remperatures, dear MiL always says I will burn in hell, my replay "funny, everytime you pay us a visit - it is like hell".

Time for some meditation, sorry should read medication 🍻🍻🥨

• Haha 1

Lyn2005,

Thanks for the info. Safe passage to Regensburg and an extra smile for the captain on arrival is in order, I think.

Actually, things will hopefully ease during the course of the day as a bit of additional water is coming your way. Overnight, Pfelling gauge has risen and is now at 313cm.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
more info
  • Like 1

With the level at Pfelling having risen to 345cm and the prediction not showing a fast drop we can sit back and relax for a couple of days.

Here is a 360 degrees short video of Rothenburg ob der Tauber: https://m.dw.com/en/rothenburg-ob-der-tauber-in-360/a-40294206

notamermaid

• Like 1

On board Scenic Opal and it “currently” looks like smooth sailing.  Budapest is magnificent.  Seated on the right hand side of the plane from Vienna affords awesome views of the Danube, river cruise ships and the Parliament Buildings.  Expecting to be rafted in Vienna tomorrow.  Day 1 had us on the “wrong” side of the ship so sun lounge wasn’t an option unless we wanted to look at a cement wall, the gangway and tons of cars.

• Like 2

Just a quick note on the river level at Pfelling. With rain approaching at the weekend, the experts predict that the level should not have a chance to fall below 300cm before it will react to the rain with a rise from Saturday morning onwards.

notamermaid

• Like 1

2 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Now onto some fun and learning. Schloss Neuschwanstein, perhaps the most iconic of fairytale castles: https://m.dw.com/en/unbroken-enchantment-neuschwanstein-castle-turns-150/a-50282160

notamermaid

That was great! Thanks for posting that link. We leave in one week and will be seeing the castle on Saturday that 14th.

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

Now onto some fun and learning. Schloss Neuschwanstein, perhaps the most iconic of fairytale castles: https://m.dw.com/en/unbroken-enchantment-neuschwanstein-castle-turns-150/a-50282160

notamermaid

The Bavarian government should sell it to Disney who should then transport it brick for brick to a new Disney World somewhere, then we have room for a beer garden with a brilliant view.

• Haha 1

The river at Pfelling is now at 331cm and still on its way up. Can we relax about the level? Perhaps... Next week will see warmer temperatures, this weekend is really cool with day temperatures below twenty Celsius. Little rain forecast and the warmer temperatures make a fall in the level likely but if it will have an effect of note is too early to say. So no update from me before Tuesday as things look pleasant.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Notamermaid we relied on you heavily last year for information on the Rhine , this year we are off down the Danube and here you and GMT are again!! Your info meant we actually knew more than the cruise line knew (or was sharing) and prepared us for our eventual  two boat trip! 

Do you have any information for the Danube downriver from Budapest towards the Black Sea? We are leaving on the 23rd September on a Riviera Travel cruise to the Black Sea delta and back again. 

jo-b,

I am afraid I have no information about the Danube beyond Budapest other than what I found from the Hungarian authorities. Here is the website: http://www.hydroinfo.hu/mobil/en/hydroinfo.php

Version for mobile phones of course. I found the site a few months ago while on my computer and found it quite good. Posted it a while ago, but since then have not looked into what the other countries publish in English language.

notamermaid