What’s up with Dawn buffet

bostonfred

Hi, we have seen some very negative comments recently regarding the Dawn’s buffet in regards to selection and quality. We have always been satisfied with NCL buffets. Last cruise 2 years ago was a19 day out of Auckland and the buffet got a little repetitive, but that is too be expected. Have recent cruisers on Dawn experienced a decline in the buffet offerings and quality...will be on Dawn the 27th and curious what recent cruisers think....thanks,😎😎

On 1/11/2019 at 9:56 AM, bostonfred said:

Hi, we have seen some very negative comments recently regarding the Dawn’s buffet in regards to selection and quality. We have always been satisfied with NCL buffets. Last cruise 2 years ago was a19 day out of Auckland and the buffet got a little repetitive, but that is too be expected. Have recent cruisers on Dawn experienced a decline in the buffet offerings and quality...will be on Dawn the 27th and curious what recent cruisers think....thanks,😎😎

This Poster is doing  a review of the Dawn from  11/18-11/25. Page 3 speaks to the buffet (breakfast) complete with some photos. 

On 1/11/2019 at 11:25 AM, bostonfred said:

Good news so far...another question...any salmon on breakfast buffet..thanks

I think that I saw smoked salmon mousse on the breakfast buffet in October/ November when we were on a 14 day cruise.

They served bagels and smoked salmon slices in the Venetian MDR every morning.  We varied between the MDR and the buffet for breakfast, and both were good.

Dawn Buffett seemed fine by me.  Buffett food is by and large just something to eat and quick.  I hit them a couple times on cruise, usually at lunch.  I do prefer the regular complimentary restaurants like O'Sheehans for quick eats tho.  But I do make my way to the buffett on pork chop night and load up a plate.

On 1/11/2019 at 10:25 AM, bostonfred said:

Good news so far...another question...any salmon on breakfast buffet..thanks

ok, biggest disappointment is the lack of the salmon for breakfast. They have a salmon spread instead. that is the case with all NCL ships the past few years. I have heard you can ask for lox and they will provide them. We haven't tried that. Otherwise the Dawn buffet is pretty much like any buffet: good selection, pretty much the same everyday and run of the mill like a land buffet. 

• 2 weeks later...

Was on the Dawn in November on her 9 day repositioning cruise.  

We had breakfast at the buffet half the mornings, the other half in Venetian.  Very happy with both, unfortunately neither myself or my husband looked for salmon so can't answer that but they did have a nice selection.

You are correct that buffets can get repetitive, or maybe their main offering isn't what you're in the mood for on a particular evening.  We ate dinner at the buffet several times (in addition to 3 night specialty dining and a couple nights in either Aqua or Venetian).  Ate in the buffet the first night figuring the "restaurants" would be busy, and had prime rib, baked potato, veggies, etc.  Was very good.  There is also a limited beer and wine availability at the buffet.  I'm sure a waiter would run for anything else

If not going to buffet, on Dawn you can eat in the specialty restaurants even if you don't have the pkg, you pay a cover charge depending on the restaurant.  Aqua and Ventian are the main dining rooms, they are included with your voyage. They have same menu as each other. One side of the menu stays the same, the other side changes each evening. No shorts in the Ventian in the evening.

On 1/15/2019 at 8:30 AM, LinnieRed said:

We asked for salmon at the buffet on the Epic last April, right where they had the salmon/cream cheese mixture, and it was always available for the asking 

Agree. I only stumbled upon it because the guest in front if me asked for it. The chef gladly went underneath the buffet and brought out the real smoked salmon. I have been complaining a lot about the nickel and diming, but this was not an example of it. I really enjoyed not having to go to the main dining room to get it. Maybe unique to Epic.

Edited by blcruising